The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2022, 10:20 PM   #1
crushermechanic

Has anyone built a custom fuel tank

I am thinking about building my own fuel tank for my 51 and was wondering if anyone had ever done it. I have a sheet of stainless I plan on making it out of. I am trying to get as much capacity as possible. All the swap options are all around,17 gallons and with the BB I want more than 20. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated
crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Has anyone built a custom fuel tank

You know your own welding skills. I'm not being snarky there.

What I would do first is get some cardboard and cut my tank out of it and get it all together and taped up and set in place to stand back and see that that is exactly what you want.

Then I would get a sheet metal shop to shear the pieces and bend up as much of it in a brake as they can manage. That will cost a few bucks unless you can get a buddy deal but it should eliminate a few welded seams.

On the other hand, back about 20 years ago my son had a 79 Elcamino that had a 45 gallon tank that the owner had had a shop weld up out of mild steel. The tank was welded up of all flat pieces with no bends and all seams. I think I finally hauled the remains for scrap after cutting a lot of pieces out of it to fab things as it was 1/8 steel and heavy as all get out. Receipts showed that a previous owner had driven between Arizona and Southern California on about a weekly basis. That thing about broke me the first and only time I ever filled the tank.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
crushermechanic

That's the plan I had in mind. I will cut it out with my plasma cutter and get our fab shop to break it for me. As far as welding that's not a problem I am structural, tank and pipe certified. Surely as many talented people here I can't be the first one to try this.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
56 3100

Red face Re: Has anyone built a custom fuel tank

i did what mr 48 mentioned one of the vendors had the measurements for some of there tanks and i made cardboard one and put it in place in the rear. to check fit worked out good.$600 tank to buy.pic is before trimming out around spring mount.

Last edited by 56 3100; 08-14-2022 at 01:51 PM.
56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
crushermechanic

That shape is kinda what I had in mind. I have a sheet of 316 stainless to build it with and access to any size pipe I could want. I plan on starting on it as soon as I can get the frame back in the garage.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #6
1project2many

Quote:
As far as welding that's not a problem I am structural, tank and pipe certified. Surely as many talented people here I can't be the first one to try this.
I have many talents but I am fairly certain welding a tank together would get me "leak certified" very quickly. I have built various adapters and pieces for liquid containment and transfer but I rely on brazing, either solder, brass, or silver solder.

One suggestion... design the tank to be EFI friendly. An EFI system attached to a tank with no baffles makes the truck no fun to drive through turns and corners when the fuel level gets lower.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushermechanic View Post
That's the plan I had in mind. I will cut it out with my plasma cutter and get our fab shop to break it for me. As far as welding that's not a problem I am structural, tank and pipe certified. Surely as many talented people here I can't be the first one to try this.
Head on, get after it. Got the skills put them to work. You have to do a thread on building it though or continue with it on this thread.

I'd still make the cardboard mockup for the stand back and look from all angles session.

I've got a 35 gallon stainless tank in the front of the bed of my 71 that someone bult and had in another truck I had that has some nice work on it. The thing has bad gas in it now and reeks of varnish.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #8
Hcb3200

Don't forget the Baffles. This is not hauling food grade .
No need a half a tank sloshing around and moving the rear end on you.
Also they provide some nice structural internally.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
crushermechanic

I am really looking at running fuel injection on it and if not I will still put a return in. Baffles will be a must as well. It's going to be a challenge but when it comes to fab work I enjoy it. I will put up some pictures as I go on it.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #10
dsraven

for baffles, since you have access to a fab shop, you could make flat panels with holes for fuel to be able to move around, but also you could make tabs on the ends that touch the outside and then make slots in the outside panels so the baffles slide into the slots. I know, more welding, but that would keep the baffles where you need them and also make a strong tank
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #11
dsraven

will you also install a "well" that will hold fuel for the fuel pick up to sit in? that way you don't run out of fuel on a steep hill, like the driveway, or a sharp corner.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
1project2many

Quote:
I am really looking at running fuel injection on it and if not I will still put a return in. Baffles will be a must as well. It's going to be a challenge but when it comes to fab work I enjoy it. I will put up some pictures as I go on it.
Most vehicles today use a fuel bucket to contain the pump. This is a spring loaded fuel well that is retained in the tank with a snap ring and sealed with an O ring. The idea works and reduces the need for baffles but the challenge may be in sealing the sending unit.

Last edited by 1project2many; 08-16-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #13
mr48chev

I don't think that will be an issue for him and he may give us a lesson or two on how to accomplish that and have it seal properly.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:14 PM   #14
crushermechanic

If I can find a weld in adapter that would work great. I have a buddy that just got a new CNC machine and is looking for things to machine so I may give him a drawing to see if he can make it.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:52 PM   #15
R&B51

Quote:
If I can find a weld in adapter that would work great. I have a buddy that just got a new CNC machine and is looking for things to machine so I may give him a drawing to see if he can make it.
As you’re designing the tank-lots of options on in tank fuel pump. I heard and read lots of good stuff about Aeromotive so I bought one of their units even though the tank I had purchased came with a little Chinese pump included. I think the unit I got is called a Phantom 340 set up. A little bit pricey but American made and I have confidence that it will run well. They have been great when I called and talked to them about this project and one I am currently buying for my 73 bronco to get one inside the tank there as well.
This one required me to buy an oversized holesaw bit and punch a hole in the tank I already had for their unit. I plug the hole that was designed for the small pump they sent with the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:54 PM   #16
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
As you’re designing the tank-lots of options on in tank fuel pump. I heard and read lots of good stuff about Aeromotive so I bought one of their units even though the tank I had purchased came with a little Chinese pump included. I think the unit I got is called a Phantom 340 set up. A little bit pricey but American made and I have confidence that it will run well. They have been great when I called and talked to them about this project and one I am currently buying for my 73 bronco to get one inside the tank there as well.
This one required me to buy an oversized holesaw bit and punch a hole in the tank I already had for their unit. I plug the hole that was designed for the small pump they sent with the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #17
R&B51

Oh, and I didn’t really explain. The Aeromotive unit you just use the jigs they provide cut a hole in the tank and there are some holes to drill for their ring to fit with gaskets on just smooth wall. No need for welding adapter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #18
crushermechanic

Thanks for the info. A flat mount will be a lot easier. Does it have a sending unit as well?
Old 08-27-2022, 09:55 PM   #19
R&B51

I used the sending unit that came with the tank. I imagine they sell them, I have not looked at the arrow motive website extensively.
Typically, you have one hole that you drop a sending unit in, and the second hole that has your fuel pump port.
I think this is pretty much the kit I bought, just didn’t use the pump.
Fit perfectly between rails on custom frame I built but not sure on stock 51 rails
Old 08-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #20
R&B51

Sorry forgot the link:

https://fuelinjectiontools.com/2021/...de-fill-90ohm/
Old 08-27-2022, 10:02 PM   #21
R&B51

20 gallon. I mounted deep side toward C6 differential and made frame where will drop straight out bottom plus slack in lines to allow it.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:09 PM   #22
R&B51

All because I don’t have your welding skills. Yours will be a work of art!
Please remember to post back with pics when done
Old 08-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #23
1project2many

That bolt in pump hanger looks like an easy solution for a lot of folks. Here's a stainless option that uses a late model GM pump and well for DIY tanks.

https://rickstanks.com/product/weld-in/

This kit includes the plate and a few other goodies and looks like it's under $150.
https://rickstanks.com/product/d-i-y...v=47e5dceea252

Here's info about Earl's pump mounting rings. Stainless, mild steel, or aluminum options are available.
https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...-installation/

Last edited by 1project2many; 08-29-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:51 PM   #24
crushermechanic

Thanks for the info. I hope to get started in the next month or so. I have a couple of things to get done first. I will definitely update when I get working on it.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #25
_Ogre

Month or so? Didjaorderitfromchina? ��

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote