The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
riz

home made car dollies.

lets see pics of the home made car dollies you have built. I'm thinking of making some to move my K5 around the garage easier while it's not running. As much detail as youi can give would be great.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Maxxd07

Re: home made car dollies.

I was thinking about making some at one time until I was in Northern Tool and they had a sale on them, $140+change for 4 of them. I knew I wouldnt be able to build them cheaper than that (including my time) so I bought them. I wouldnt use them to roll a fully dressed cclb with a big block or diesel around but for what I need they are great. Just my $0.02.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
J Knight

I bought some from harbor freight for $100. Worked great as long as the motor and tranny were out, they don't have any ball bearings on the wheels and don't roll at all with the extra weight. If you build some be sure to get wheels with ball bearings in them. I think lmc has some for $175.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have some from Harbor freight and they roll OK with the extra weight of an engine and tranny. Of course I may have more weight to apply to the process than you do.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Chris4x4Gill2

HF sells two kinds, one is fairly light duty, the others are made out of angle iron with bearings in the wheels. I have the better ones and can roll around my complete truck, but the floor had better be clean as whistle.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4x4Gill2 View Post
HF sells two kinds, one is fairly light duty, the others are made out of angle iron with bearings in the wheels. I have the better ones and can roll around my complete truck, but the floor had better be clean as whistle.
x2 on the clean floor. it takes all I have (6'-3", 300lbs) to move my truck on a spotless floor with the "good" HF dollies so whatever you do don't skimp on the casters. Forget about rolling over the lip at the door or if you don't have goot footing. They ARE handy when needed though, currently under my '50 so I can slide over to my wife's parking space when working on it for extra room.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
As much detail as youi can give would be great.

It cost me 25 bux for four small cheesy (china) casters to put under the work stool I built, Wouldn't want to think of buying 16 nice heavy duty ones to roll a vehicle on..... Likely better off buying a set of dollies.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
k1rodeoboater

i used a set of mini movers dollies from harbor freight on my 66. Worked fine so long as the wheels were facing the correct way. It held the weight of my truck fine.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
x2 on the clean floor. it takes all I have (6'-3", 300lbs) to move my truck on a spotless floor with the "good" HF dollies so whatever you do don't skimp on the casters. Forget about rolling over the lip at the door or if you don't have goot footing. They ARE handy when needed though, currently under my '50 so I can slide over to my wife's parking space when working on it for extra room.
X3 and learned how clean the floor should have been Seriously. Paid $120 (2 sets) w/ coupon.
The design wouldn't be bad with better wheels & re-enforcement. Have the cheap HF ones, too...used as 'misc' dollies.
Attached Images

ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote