The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
zschary

Vent Windows NOISE

my orig vent windows were old and original, but the truck was quiet, occasionally a whisper on a windy day.. Now unbearable.. are there tricks to fix wind noise on these trucks? 67 c20.. My vents are a recent rebuild..
Is it an aftermarket seal thing? what is the general experience with these, i dont want to go one piece i think its part of the charm of these trucks..
thank you
Zach
zschary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Vent Windows NOISE

-
It depends on what replacement rubber gaskets were used with the rebuild. Some seal a lot better than others. Do you have trouble getting your vent windows open and closed? Does it look like the rubber is bunching up in the bottom corners?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
zschary

Wink Re: Vent Windows NOISE

They are precision seals , they open and close ok, its both sides the same.. Not a whistle but a full blown loud wind noise even on side roads.. prob should have left them alone, they were fine sounding with the old somewhat cracked weatherstrip.. I also got a few versions of door seals around the doors from precision, including the latest version a month ago, and you have to slam the doors to get them closed.. Do folks have issues with precision ? is there another alternative? I had Honda seals in there and thought that they were the cause of the wind noise so i tried the new precision ones, now that i know its coming from the vent windows i will put the honda seals back in i guess and get rid of the precision door seals..

let me know what the consensus is on this if anyone knows.. Its literally ruining the truck drivability, i can't hear my girlfriend talking which has become an issue, sometimes that is..
Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Are you talking about the vent window seal or the door seals? Try taping the wing windows around the seal with some duct tape and do a test run. It should help you pin point where the noise is originating from.
I have had problems with the wing window hinge flexing so I don't open the wings anymore.

I remember back in the day both sides of the old man's K20 had folded match books under the wing window latches to keep them from whistling.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
tdangle

I rebuilt my wing vents and they were extremely noisy. Using tape to figure out where the noise was coming from, I finally figured out it was the wing vent seal to the door itself, not the glass to rubber in the wing vent. For now I have black tape sealing it, almost unnoticeable, but will need to figure out something when I finally get paint.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I rebuilt my wing vents and they were extremely noisy. Using tape to figure out where the noise was coming from, I finally figured out it was the wing vent seal to the door itself, not the glass to rubber in the wing vent. For now I have black tape sealing it, almost unnoticeable, but will need to figure out something when I finally get paint.
My Precision seals make noise in the same place. I stuffed some 3M caulk strip behind the seals in that spot and it made it about 50% better.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #7
pjmoreland

Mine is leaking between the seal and the door frame from the bottom to the vent hinge. Initially it was making a shrill whistling noise, but now it is a dull noise with the caulk strip in there. I'm wondering if people have had good luck with brands other than Precision.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
pjmoreland

Thank you, LockDoc. Those seals do look nicer. I wonder if they are better in terms of wind noise as well.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Thank you, LockDoc. Those seals do look nicer. I wonder if they are better in terms of wind noise as well.

I don't remember getting much wind noise in the truck I used them on but I didn't drive it much before I sold it. You might PM Highwinger (the OP of the thread) and check with him.

LockDoc

-
Old 06-13-2021, 01:36 AM   #10
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I don't remember getting much wind noise in the truck I used them on but I didn't drive it much before I sold it. You might PM Highwinger (the OP of the thread) and check with him.

LockDoc
I sent a PM to Highwinger, but I never got a reply. I was nervous about experimenting with the classicparts.com vent window seals without feedback from someone who has used them, so I bought a set of NOS seals instead. I installed the driver side today, and as you'd expect, it is nice and quiet. It popped into the front frame of the door in a way the Precision seals never did. I did buy a set of the classicparts.com seals too, and they look and feel more like NOS than the Precision seals do.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I sent a PM to Highwinger, but I never got a reply. I was nervous about experimenting with the classicparts.com vent window seals without feedback from someone who has used them, so I bought a set of NOS seals instead. I installed the driver side today, and as you'd expect, it is nice and quiet. It popped into the front frame of the door in a way the Precision seals never did. I did buy a set of the classicparts.com seals too, and they look and feel more like NOS than the Precision seals do.

Thanks for the followup Patrick. Nice to know they are still selling the same seals.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-15-2022, 01:26 AM   #12
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Thanks for the followup Patrick. Nice to know they are still selling the same seals.

LockDoc

Highwinger replied today, and he said he hasn't noticed any wind noise with the classicparts.com vent window seals.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #13
pjmoreland

Will do. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #14
zschary

are the vent windows themselves different in 67 vs 68..

curious how they are different.. i thought it was really just the handle..

thanks...
Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #15
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschary View Post
are the vent windows themselves different in 67 vs 68..

curious how they are different.. i thought it was really just the handle..

thanks...
67 and 68 are only different as fas as the handle. [AFIK] 67s, the handle pivot is part of the frame -- carries over from the 60 - 66 style. 68s, [thru to 72] there is a 1/2'' hole in the glass for the vent window handle to pivot in.
Glass is shaped the same, so the gasket should not have to change. But I haven't re-gasketed my vent windows on the 67 or 68, so I could be wrong.
Not sure if it's pertinent to this discussion, but as I recall the '67 glass doesn't have the hole.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-15-2022 at 02:44 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote