The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
John Pasinski

wheel fitment

I have an opportunity to buy two new 245/75R16.5 tires mounted on rims for $150.00. The confusion for me is this. I have a '72 1 ton (my rims & tires are 16"). The new wheels are off a '64 GMC 1 ton. The stud size & spacing are identical, but the hub hole is about 1/8" larger than mine. In other words, there's a 1/8" gap around the hub when I install them. Will this adversly affect the balance or safety while driving especially loaded? I know this all has to do with hub centric vs. lug centric but I don't understand that at this point either. Thanks................
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Sammy

Re: wheel fitment

When you buy aftermarket wheels the hub isn't critical to fitment. They don't fit tight and snug. I'm sure there will be those that disagree but would say wheels designed for such things as 14mm studs instead of 1/2 In. are more critical than worring about that 1/8 In. gap.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Coming from a guy that worked in a tire and wheel shop for 9 years, a hub centric wheel is designed so the hub will carry the weight of the car and not the lug nuts. It's very important on import cars and any car really where you want a very smooth ride and where cars are capable of high speeds. Granted, I've been out of the business for some time but the aftermarket wheel companies wanted to build the wheels to clear the biggest hub therefor it would clear all the hubs. Look at how many trucks have a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. If you make your opening for the largest one, it will fit all of them. Bottom line is that on these trucks, having a opening larger than your hub is absolutely no big deal as stated above.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
cdowns

if you have disc brakes in front check for caliper clearance// i dont know sbout the bigger trucks but 1/2 3/4 trucks you cant use earlier wheels with the disc brakes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
John Pasinski

Y'know, I didn't think of the front. Mine has disc brakes. Was this standard in '72? Were '72's designed as hub centric, or lug centric? I'm guesing because of the load capacity they are supposed to be hub centric.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

these trucks are hub centric. If you load it down on a regular basis, then it will be an issue and you will start snapping lug nuts. They are not designed to hold the weight.
However, none of this matters since you probably won't be able to put the wheel on anyways. 70 and older had 1/2 inch wheel studs, and they went to 9/16ths in 71.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote