The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
MT1971

1971 Graduation Project

It all started my Junior year in high school when I took the automotive class. In the class we got the option to bring in an engine and rebuild it, or rebuild one of the schools. So I decided that if I was going to go learn how to rebuild one, might as well make it one that I can use. So I bought a trusty 350 from a friend and took that to class. Long story short, got it rebuilt, and fired on the run stand. Fast forward to summer of 2018, when I bought a '71 longbed 4x4. I had been saving up and looking for a truck to put the rebuilt engine in, since we started tearing it down when finally I found a truck that I couldn't pass up. Not only is it my favorite body style which is hard enough to find, but let alone a 4x4 and in my price range at the time. Over the summer I didn't really do much other than, take the bed off, and dream about what its going to be. I saved up all the money I made working in a lube bay, and helping out around friends ranches to make a few extra bucks. Come fall 2018(senior year) I was enrolled in the ASE Automotive class and I had a plan. I was gonna rebuild this truck mechanically so I can drive it to my graduation, and I can worry about the body next winter when i'm looking for something to do. SO here's the plan. (OR so I thought).
1. Remove current 350, and replace it with my rebuilt engine.
2. Clean up and look at trans/transfer case for leaks / repairs due to the oil stain in my drive way.
3. Install new wiring harness because the wiring is horrendous and Id rather spend the time putting new wires in than trying to hunt down problems with a 48 year old harness just for it to break somewhere else.
4. Inspect / replace brakes.
5. New tires
But as many of you know, "simple projects" turn into what seems like never ending.
Attached Images

MT1971 is offline   Reply With Quote