The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
neirfin

Single pre-bent lines vs bending my own?

I tried to remove the drivers side brake line to replace the brake hose going to the wheel, and rust made sure the line twisted right into oblivion.

Is there a place to get a new line, but just the one? or is it cheaper to bend my own? This is the smallest brake line of the sets sold for about $100 shipped, probably worth about $3... This is the line going from the splitter to the wheel, 1969 C20 non-power drums.
neirfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Single pre-bent lines vs bending my own?

For the situation you are describing I suggest measuring the bad line to get an overall length. Then going to a quality auto parts store and get the closest premade line they have. It is better to be too long than too short. Make sure that both fittings on the line are the same as the ones you are replacing. By all means take the old line with you if possible. Then you will need a tubing bender to bend the new tube to match the old one. If it is longer you will need to figure out where to allow the extra length to go and still have both ends hook up and nothing rubbing.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
neirfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
For the situation you are describing I suggest measuring the bad line to get an overall length. Then going to a quality auto parts store and get the closest premade line they have. It is better to be too long than too short. Make sure that both fittings on the line are the same as the ones you are replacing. By all means take the old line with you if possible. Then you will need a tubing bender to bend the new tube to match the old one. If it is longer you will need to figure out where to allow the extra length to go and still have both ends hook up and nothing rubbing.
I will try this for sure, but I haven't had much luck with other things like this... maybe it is just the store i picked.

There isn't much bend to the original tube, so hopefully they have something close enough... Otherwise it looks like the kits are the only way to get this short tube, after a few hours of looking i haven't found any single lines and the 'front only' kits are just about the same price.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
rockyrivermark

Flare tool is cheap if u don’t have one.
Get a length of nickel/copper tubing which bends very easily by hand
Cut out old line and use as template to get close.

Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
RustyPile

Individual brake lines of various lengths and diameters are common items found in a well stocked parts store.. Perhaps you are shopping the wrong place, but proper terminology goes a long way when looking for parts.. The proper term for a single brake line is "individual brake line".. Summit, among others, has a large selection of individual brake lines.. Determine the length and diameter you need and give them a call...
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
bigmac73

napa has several lines in different lenghts
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
neirfin

i was only looking online... after going to the store i was able to get an 8 inch piece, which is about twice as long as it should be... bent it creatively and out of the way and back in business. crossing fingers that the passenger side doesn't seize up as well... wont get to that for another few days. i soaked the drivers side for a few days with PB blaster but it didn't help, i will keep soaking the passenger side until i can get to it. cant wait to be done with this drum brake rebuild!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Good to hear you succeeded!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
Furno68C20

Amazon sells flexible brake lines super cheap. It comes in bulk but if your upgrading brakes a lot it pays off. Just need a handy flare kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Furno68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:15 AM   #10
burnin oil

The nickel copper tubing is the bomb. You can literally bend it by hand without a bender. As a bonus it was designed for boat trailers so it has a higher corrosion resistance. Any parts store that has the metal tubing should also sell the fittings. If you are worried about removing the line you should really replace it. The last thing you want is for a rusty line to brake when you are jumping on the woe pedal. If this ever happens to you it will be the only time.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote