The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
Richard Jensen

59 pu cab vs larger truck size differances if any.

Hello,
On a 59 Chevy, are the pickup cabs/front clip the same as a 1-1/2 to 2 ton truck? The reason I ask is, I've got an 83 C30 that I thinking of transplanting a 59 cab/clip onto. The 59 side badges have what looks like "3? Chevrolet Apache". I've asked for more pictures and the VIN#. I've never liked the builds where there is an obvious miss match of cab/clip to tire size. I'd like it to look as "factory" as possible when done. This truck looks like it might of been converted to pull a 5th wheel or goose neck at one time as the bed is gone and it has crudely made rear fenders.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-18-2021, 01:34 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 59 pu cab vs larger truck size differances if any.

Around here most of the 73/87 chassis under a TF or 67/72 truck were 3/4 ton 4x4 chassis and having the tires stick out was part of the deal.

Still the GM archives 59 Chevy truck page has the measurements you are looking for and a lot of info you aren't https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

Ah shucks it's no fun unless you hunt up the figures yourself. That's the old teacher in me coming out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
Richard Jensen

Thanks!
I checked it out and it looks like the cabs/clips are the same. I wasn't necessarily worried about the width as much as the tire size, that is, like using a large farm truck like a 49 2 ton truck with 20" tires and trying to marry that to a C30 with 16" tires. I've seen some COE trucks that are slammed onto chassis with 15" tires and to me that looks weird as all get out. The dims for the 59 are pretty clear, but I'm just going to have to go out and measure my C30 as those dims are about as clear as mud in the archives for the 83. It shows dims but the one dim is either showing the center between the duels or maybe the center of the front tread. Not sure.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 AM   #4
mr48chev

It looks like a 1-1/2 ton nose is quite a bit wider across the fenders but that comes with bigger wheel well openings too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jensen View Post
Hello,
On a 59 Chevy, are the pickup cabs/front clip the same as a 1-1/2 to 2 ton truck? The reason I ask is, I've got an 83 C30 that I thinking of transplanting a 59 cab/clip onto. The 59 side badges have what looks like "3? Chevrolet Apache". I've asked for more pictures and the VIN#. I've never liked the builds where there is an obvious miss match of cab/clip to tire size. I'd like it to look as "factory" as possible when done. This truck looks like it might of been converted to pull a 5th wheel or goose neck at one time as the bed is gone and it has crudely made rear fenders.

Thanks!
Richard
Fender spears on 55-57 had the series ie 3100 1/2T short bed, 3200 1/2T long bed, 3600 3/4T and 3800 1T on them. 58-59 the series changed to Apache and the weight designator shortened to 2 digits 31, 36, 38

The cabs are the same on all the standard trucks. The front clip is the same on 1/2 ton to 1 ton, same everything, these trucks are Apache series. The 1.5 & 2 ton trucks Viking series use the same cab and possibly the hood, the fenders widen approx 1.5" on both sides in front of the doors. The wheel opening is larger. Bigger trucks than these are Spartan series.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
dsraven

try this for specs.
like ogre says, up to 1 ton, same same. after that cab is same but the stuff ahead of the firewall is bigger.

https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/index.htm
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
_Ogre

the search function sucks here. i tried to search for buggy and got hundreds of sand rails
here's another thread on this same subject https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=817997

for reference my 58 truk vs a 58 viking. notice the added width between the hood and the headlights on the fender. probably 1.5" to 2" on each side. i believe the hood is the same on the apache and the viking/spartan. the grill has to be wider too.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2021, 01:09 AM   #8
Richard Jensen

Hello,
Thanks for the info. The truck I'm looking at is either a 3803 cab/chassis or a 3809 @ 9600lbs GVW as those are the only two with that max GVW! The 1983 measures 65" center to center on the front tread, and the 1959 dimensions are called out as 61.08" front tread with duals, but that dim seems to be the inside of the tread, not the center of the tread. The tire size listed is 8-19.5-6 for max GVW, I think the "6" is the ply and the 19.5 is the wheel size. Please correct me if I'm wrong as the old tire sizes are some what confusing sometimes as I don't mess with those. I'm thinking it will work. The frame rails measure out as 34" on both it looks like.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
dsraven

Are you looking at building a big truck or using the big truck as a donor? If a donor is the use intended then you would use the cab and look for a front clip from somewhere? I think a frame would possibly also be on the list due to being heavier than a 1/2 ton.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
_Ogre

3800 is 1 ton long wheel base.
same everything as the 3100 trucks
38 and 31 for the 59 years
i believe you could get 8 ft or 9 ft bed on 3800

Old 04-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
Richard Jensen

Hello,
Dsraven, basically a 1983 1 ton as the donor for the drive line/engine/trans/frame and the 1959 "38" for the front clip/cab. No bed on the 59 and the flat bed on the 83 is junk, so I'll have to find or build a flatbed. I've got bedside tool boxes and a Autocar crane to put on it.

Ogre, the truck I'm looking at is like your yellow one. only a small space between the corner of the hood and the headlight.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #12
dsraven

well, that sounds like fun. will you use the stock 83 engine or upgrade to an LS with fuel injection (and no distributor to deal with at the firewall) before you start with the body fitment? auto or standard? curious if the crane is hydraulic with a pto or electric over hydraulic. placed behind cab or at the rear? outriggers? maybe wanna check the wheels as well because some had those weird sized wheels that are hard to get tires for. hydroboost on firewall or under floor somewhere? wheelbase ideas? will it look like a service truck or a car hauler with a crane?
sorry about the interrogation, you peaked my curiosity because I had plans on building a 1 ton deck with a 5th wheel for a travel trailer. wife shut me down on that one due to cab space. I had lots of ideas though.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 PM   #13
Richard Jensen

Dsraven, The old 454BB that's in the 83 only has about 50K on it and runs great! 4 speed manual, that I'd love to change over to a NV4500. I'll have to see about the hydro boost when I do the body fitment. This truck was an old Heston service truck. Currently it has a Knapheide, steel flatbed on it that is all rusted out with a set of toolboxes on each side, but it's not a "utility" bed. The Autocrane is a old one that only used an electric wench and the turning, raising of the boom, and the extending of the boom is all manual, although I've got plans to change some of that. It is mounted on the rear, drivers side inboard of the tool box. One improvement will be an outrigger of some kind. Some of my ideas about a bed is to retain the toolboxes, move the crane to the end of the toolbox on the drivers side (necessitating an outrigger or a retractable "foot"). The 83 has dual tanks already, but I've thought of stretching the frame about 2 foot to accommodate a toolbox between the cab and bed to hold stuff like another fuel tank, spare tire, and jack, along with other tools like chains, shovels fire extinguisher, ect. Other gear would be a wench and folding gin poles and lots of work lights. The old scrapper/iron collector in me says to add a tag axle using a second dually axle with the ring and pinion removed, to add to the max GVW and braking ability, but that leads to 4 more tires to buy and issues with registration and insurance, and since I've gotten out of hauling scrap and messing with Hit-n-Miss farm engines, that'd be a lot of hassle I don't need. It'll most likely look like a service truck when I'm done. I'm also planning to make the fuel filler necks to be common to the drivers side for all tanks and enclosed in a small enclosure to keep them secured. Also lots of tie downs.

Thanks!
Richard