The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
69Tom

opinion: installing fenders

Quick question for you guys. When installing fenders, and the fenders in question are aftermarket, do you install with the fender wells attached, install the fender well then the fender, or just install the fender and install the fender well last?

I'm half considering painting the fenders while on the truck as I need to start using it for various tasks, so I'd paint the insides of the fenders and probably prep the inside areas that receive body color before installing.

I've seen suggestions to install the well first, then others say to install it last. So just seeing based on experience what technique people like to use.

Thanks.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: opinion: installing fenders

My way was to install the fenders and then the inner liners later. But, if using aftermarket, you need to fit both before you paint because modification will most likely be needed.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
sick472

Very true to fit the repop fenders to the truck and then the well to the fender before putting any final paint down. I found that attaching original wells to fenders and then putting on the truck worked well. In fact, I ended up putting them on, removing them, putting them back, and so on and so forth, but never had to unbolt the wells. I was working with original parts, however.

If I was dealing with repops, I would fit the fender to the truck first without the well, then consider fitting the well to the installed fender. I assume that can be done without removing the fender again. This way the important parts (fender and truck) are right and then fitting the well does not distort the fender and make for a poor fit.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
HotWheelsFan

I have had the front end off of my truck for paint and resto work...

I removed everything except for the fenders. When it was time to put the wells back on each side, they went back in without any problems. I also had to remove the right well for needed access for wiring work last year. Once again, no problems.

So, installing the wells last works fine.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Installing inners is about the last thing I'll do. Definitely fit them first, even my NOS needed an adjustment, though it was for the outer fender. Factory missed the hole in the pocket on the outer fender by 1/2".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
69Tom

Thanks for the tips guys! Looks like I'll start by fitting the wells to the fenders to see what needs adjustment, and then from there, take the wells off and mount the fenders for fitment.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote