The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
sick472

Peel-n Seal Roofing as Sound Deadening Lesson Learned - Maybe NOT

I have been an advocate of using the cheap alternative, Peel-n Seal roofing, in lieu of the Dyno-Mat type brands. This p-n-s works well in most locations, but I learned a lesson with my recent C/10 build. The p-n-s is a tar-like substance while the profession brands are a butyl rubber, I believe. The professional brands are not prone to melting and letting go while the tar in the p-n-s...well, it's tar.

I used it on the cab floor AND it is taking on heat from the exhaust and softening up enough to make its way past the front cab mount bolts and rubber bushings, and dripping out below onto the shop floor.

It does not seem to drip while driving as the wind must keep the underside of the cab floor cooler. Once I park it, the heat soaks upwards heating up the floor. This is causing it to melt and goo though the bolted front cab mount connections.

I am hoping that it neutralizes itself by melting out the necessary amount to stop on its own. I only have 200 miles on it. Otherwise I may be taking the carpet up and scraping, cleaning, and sealing up the bolt heads with silicone or something.

I just wanted to throw this out there so that others that need the budget savings can take some preventative measures and not end up having to put cardboard under the front cab mounts when parked.

The other car project that I used p-n-s on was a unibody with no floor penetrations and has no issues, but our trucks will need to have the front mount holes sealed up. It may end up in the rocker gutter, however. I would like to think that the bolt holes being sealed would stop the flow and the surrounding cooler p-n-s would prevent the melted stuff from getting very far. Time will tell and I will post if it takes care of itself or if I have to back up and take a different approach.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20

Last edited by sick472; 05-11-2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Changed Title
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
sick472

Re: Peel-n Seal Roofing as Sound Deadening Lesson Learned

I gonna eat a little crow here...I am now thinking that my home-made cab mounts are likely the culprit. Years ago when the budget was much tighter, I made my cab mounts out of polyurethane round stock that I happened to have. This was also partially due to a slight body lift from converting my steel bed to wood. Anyhow, I noticed that my panhard bar bushings that I made out of the same polyurethane is also melting down near one of the exhaust pipes near the pumpkin...d'oh!, time to replace those along with the forward cab mounts.

I guess that the polyurethane that I used was not temp rated to be that close to the pipes.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: Peel-n Seal Roofing as Sound Deadening Lesson Learned

As long as you season the crow properly, its easy to get down.

We are always looking to save a buck these days. Some work out great and others need minor modifications.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote