The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Walker_Bulldog

Project Bulldog

Hello everyone!

What brings me here is my late grandfathers 1971 Custom Deluxe K10 longbed. He passed away last week and passed his project on to me. He had just rebuilt the top end when he fell ill and never had a chance to fire it up after that. I had it shipped out to Texas from California, $1100 and 5 days of anxious waiting later it arrived at my shop.

Day ones goal was simple, get it running. I was told by my grandfathers friend that the truck had carburetor problems so I focused on that first. After an hour or so of tinkering I found nothing wrong aside from the choke not being hooked up. After moving on the the ignition system I found I was was getting no spark. Couple wires under the dash were pulled out of the fuse block, easy fix but still no thunder. I pulled the distributor cap next to check the points and there it was staring me in the face. The wire from the coil was disconnectedI should have checked that first! Fired right up after that. Sounds like grandpa did a good job on the rebuild!

Day two was not as fun as day one! I needed to move the truck out of the grass so I could mow the field. One of the rear drums is dragging like crazy which led to me trenching the lawn lol. I parked it on the concrete and noticed dripping from underneath...Lots of dripping. Transmission, transfer-case, engine, and the front differential were all leaking

Thats my story thus far! I have a few of questions, and I apologize for the incoming C/k noobness

First, after trenching the yard I realized that I only spun one tire. I assumed that since the truck is a 4x4 it would have a limited slip differential, is that not the case? Either my rear end is messed up or my truck is 3 wheel drive lol.

Second, My truck has saddle tanks. Dealer installed I think, I have no idea what the condition of the inside is, should I pull them off or just leave them on and not use them?

Third, I have no idea what gear my transfer-case is in! Right now the shifter is all the way back, towards the seat. Is that the 2wd position? The truck has a th400 if that helps with transfer-case identification.

I will post updates and questions as they come!

Walker_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Walker_Bulldog

Re: Project Bulldog

Hrm I cant seem to find the the edit button. Anyway, its not a th400 its a th350. Tested out the four wheel drive while making room on the driveway for the truck. Feels like its working but now I cant unlock the hubs or get it out of four wheel drive.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Tinkermc

Looks like grandpa was off to a good start, I like old school but don't understand all I know. Like the position of your swteering wheel, I mean I heard of power but that looks like some kind of Air drive. Keep up the post and pictures.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Walker_Bulldog

Its a lot of fun to drive that way, I call it "The Hope Method". Hit the gas and hope it goes the right direction.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Tinkermc

goood deal I bet your insurance is HIGH !!!
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote