The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
ClassicGuy

Transmission question

I have a 70 c10 with a 350SB and a T400 tranny. I put in a new torque converter when I put in the tranny. Prior to install I put in 2 qts of oil in converter. After install I put in an aditional 10 qts in tranny. I started the truck and put it through all gears a few times. Now when I put it in gear and hit the gas, the tanny feels like it is slipping. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong and how to fix it? Thank you all for any advice.
ClassicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Transmission question

Do you have the correct dip stick tube and stick for the trans? Are you checking the fluid level when the engine is at operating temp?

Make sure you have enough fluid in it. It sounds like you have 12 qts total. Does the trans have the deep pan? They hold an extra 3 qts.

What torque converter did you buy? What is the stall speed?

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
jimmye

I am replacing the engine and getting ready to put the turbo 400 back in , while cruising this site I ran across your post , How much fluid does it hold?
I posted a picture of the engine .
Attached Images

jimmye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
ClassicGuy

What's the best way to go about it when you add the fluid to the dry tanny? How many times do I need to shift through each gear? I also noticed fluid leaking from the pan. Is that an indicator of something?
ClassicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post
What's the best way to go about it when you add the fluid to the dry tanny? How many times do I need to shift through each gear? I also noticed fluid leaking from the pan. Is that an indicator of something?
On a dry, rebuilt trans:
After putting as much fluid as possible in the TC, start out with about 5 quarts in the pan then start the engine then add one or two more. Check for engagement then continue to fill until it registers on the dipstick up to the "add" mark. Then, run it through all the gears and add again to the "add" mark. Then, drive it until the fluid is completely warm and if necessary add fluid to the safe range on the dipstick. I like to see the fluid to the "add" mark when cold then after warm it will expand into the safe zone where you want it.

New trans fluid is hard to see if it is leaking from a higher spot and will appear to be coming from the pan. That's not to say the pan is not leaking, but to say you need to confirm it's not coming from above.

If you cannot see wet fluid above the pan, spray the trans case with brakleen and let dry. Then, spray foot powder on the case to make sure fluid is not coming from above and actually from the pan.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
imjeff

Sounds like you overfilled it. What's the dipstick show running in neutral?
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote