The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
C10Sam

Lifting a 1970 c10: specific questions

Hey guys, brand new to the forum although I've referenced it regularly for a couple of years as I worked on my 63 c20 (sold) and now as I'm making my new-to-me 1970 C10 CST, "mine". Great information here and hoping to tap some of you guys for a couple of specific questions that I can't find answers to in searching old threads...

Like I said, I'm new so my apologies if posted in the wrong forum (I'm still learning) and I'll try to figure out how to list the specs of my truck in my signature.

Anyway, I have a 1970 c10 lwb CST with 350/TH350, P/S, P/B, A/C... all factory. I'm not crazy over the looks of 2wd longbeds (although this is the second one I've owned!) but I do like the looks of the k10 lwb. So, that's my aim: make my c10 look like a k10. I've researched this thoroughly and understand what can and can't be done... advantages/disadvantages... etc, etc. I've decided to, first, see what sort of look I get by having some custom coils made, both front and rear, to accomodate a 32x11.50 on factory 15x8 rims. If that doesn't give me the clearance or "look", then I will add a 1 or 2 inch body lift (although I'm trying to avoid this). So, my questions:

1. How "tall" of a coil can I put into the stock front suspension and still align the front end and have enough bump/droop for highway use or weekend cruising (no off-road and not my daily driver)? I have been back and forth and back and forth but, at them moment, I am thinking that I'll go 2.5" over OEM springs without any further modifications (i.e. flipping upper ball joint, ball joint spacer, limiting straps, low-profile bump and droop stops, etc). However, I'm now thinking that, if I'm going to spend the money on custom springs (on the order of $400+ for all 4...) that I want to try and get every little bit out of this that I can. Like I said, I want to get a 4wd look but I'm trying to avoid having to also add a 1 or 2 inch body lift. So, now I'm considering going 3" over OE on the front and then flipping the upper ball joint and adding the Airbagit spacers (they're the only ones I can find). So, does anyone out there have experience or expertise in the this area to tell me if this will work? Can I do 2.5 without any further mods and still align the front end? Can I do 3" withOUT mods and still align? Will I definitely need to flip ball joint and space them if I go with 3 inches over OE on the front springs?

2. If I need ball joint spacers, does anyone know where I can find them (other than the airbagit ones)?

3. Will I need longer shocks and, if so, any recommendations for an economical option. Looking for safe and comfortable, not high performance...

4. I want the truck to sit level if not slightly nose up but, in any event, I do not want any rake. I can't find any information on just exactly what the factory rake is; I know it's widely accepted to be 2 inches but is this accurate? Is it 'exactly' 2 inches or slightly less or more? Anyone, know an exact measurement on factory rake? I need to know in order to spec out my rear coils...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
C10Sam is offline   Reply With Quote