The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #76
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Roostre's 1967 C20

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the back story.

Did you put any insulation back in before you put the new skin on? I assume that is the remnants of the original one in your removal pic?
Old 04-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #77
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
Thanks for the info, I appreciate the back story.

Did you put any insulation back in before you put the new skin on? I assume that is the remnants of the original one in your removal pic?
No problem, the backstory is usually useful to know why I did what I did.

Yep, insulation was installed. I don't have any photos of it though. I didn't want to spend the money on dynamat, so I ended up going to Home Depot and getting a roll of duct insulation. It's kind of like bubble wrap that has tinfoil stuck to it. I attached it using 3M spray on contact adhesive. In hindsight, I wish I would have used some ice barrier. It's some stuff we use under shingles next to the eaves up here in the frozen north. It's like a thick tar paper and much closer to the original material than what I used. I believe the intent of the original insulation was to keep the harmonic noise of the inner roof down, and I'm not sure the stuff I used will be great at that. I haven't driven the truck yet to find out.

This may be an instance where my inherent cheapness will bite me. It happens once in a while.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:01 PM   #78
Roostre

I finally got some paint on my headlight bezels. They turned out pretty good. I also set them in the grill with the newly painted grill trim. The grill hasn't been painted yet, but the trim color looks pretty good with the faded red of the grill. I also got a picture with one of the original white trim pieces. They look really similar under my led shop lighting, but I like the ivory white a lot in person. The last picture is of the original next to the new on my bench.

Hopefully now on to some more body work.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2021, 01:01 AM   #79
'68OrangeSunshine

Cool. I like it when people get hard core downtown realtime Model Year '67 on their grille. Seen too many who paint it all one color, or chrome the trim rings and headlight bezels like a '68.
Like this Guy...
Oh wait, that's me.

Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-20-2021 at 03:54 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:06 AM   #80
LT7A

The ivory looks good!
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #81
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
The ivory looks good!
x2, I love that ivory color. Well done. What brand of paint did you use?
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 04-20-2021 at 10:51 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #82
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
x2, I love that ivory color. Well done. What brand of paint did you use?
Thanks guys, I'm happy with it.

I really like the look of the white grill with chrome trim that some of these trucks have. If my trim pieces had been chrome rather than painted, I probably would have gone that direction.

The paint is Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X. I love this paint. I use it on most of my projects. It covers really well and seems to be pretty resilient. I took a picture of the can because I'm going to do my bumpers as well, so I'll definitely need some more.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #83
dagnabbitt

I think I will do the same for sure, I used to be a chrome guy but its too hard to take care of in my climate.

Doesn't help that the cheap repop chrome is paper thin.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 04-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #84
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I think I will do the same for sure, I used to be a chrome guy but its too hard to take care of in my climate.

Doesn't help that the cheap repop chrome is paper thin.
I hear you about polishing the chrome. Plus, new, shiny chrome would look out of place on my worn truck.

The Rust-oleum can claims it's a paint and primer in one, but I don't trust that and use the same brand of primer before the paint.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:58 PM   #85
Roostre

I was able to get some work done on my truck tonight. My core support is rotted out under the battery tray, especially the bracket that holds the inner fender. I ended up cutting it out and using my harbor freight brake to bend up a patch. I used 22 guage steel because that's what I had laying around. It should be just fine. I ran out of ambition before I got the patch welded in. This gives me time to decide if I want to make another patch for the bottom of the core support that is bent for my new patch to weld to. It's pretty thin there.

Pictures are what I started with, my patch, and where I stopped tonight.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #86
'68OrangeSunshine

I guess good radiator bulkheads are like hen's teeth in your neck of the woods, and the repops are all crap. Do what you gotta do.
'67-'68 are different, slightly from'69-'72 in the mounting, iirc.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #87
Roostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I guess good radiator bulkheads are like hen's teeth in your neck of the woods, and the repops are all crap. Do what you gotta do.
'67-'68 are different, slightly from'69-'72 in the mounting, iirc.
Yes, all of them I have seen are either the same or worse than mine. This is the only bad spot on it. The wonderful Minnesota salt rust makes spare parts a real hunt.

I also like to reuse if I can make it work. I figure I'm not out much other than time and some scrap steel in this case. It is also not a very visible area, so close will be just fine.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:18 PM   #88
'68OrangeSunshine

Well, we used to have a lot of rust-free 67-72 truck parts in here Southern Arizona. Sadly most stuff has gone Northeast, sold to greedy hot rod rebuilders. The unnatural popularity of the 67-72 line coincided with the blossoming of the internet. The other causal factor is the land junkyards were on, has become more valuable for real estate developers. So one by one they sell out, the stuff is crushed, and up pop new condos.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #89
Roostre

I decided to patch the bottom of the core support that the bracket for the inner fender welds to. I got most of the rot cut out and a flat patch fabled up. It is welded in, but a very ugly weld. The whole thing is pretty thin, but should hold and won't be visible when the inner fender bracket is welded back in. It's now covered with the rust covering paint and waiting for the inner fender bracket to be welded back in. Pretty ugly, and not very interesting, so no pictures this time.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:55 PM   #90
Roostre

Well, I hit a setback tonight. I was working on filling the rear seam on my roof panel when I saw what looked like the new seam sealer in the drip rail coming loose. Sure enough, I was able to peel it out completely from over my passenger door with just my fingers. It looks like it didn't bond to the e coat primer on the new roof panel. I guess I'll have to regroup and try it again. That's annoying.

Last edited by Roostre; 08-10-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #91
Roostre

I decided to put a new coat of paint on my grill inserts. They didn't look too bad, but everything around them will be fresh paint so I wanted them to be the same. They had 4 coats of paint that I ground off. Black, red, black again, and white. I came back with primer and some Rustoleum satin black. I like the color and think my radiator support will end up the same when I get to it.

Before and after pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #92
Roostre

A friend came over last night and we pulled my cab off the frame. I needed to do that to replace the floor, and I'm thinking about putting the frame and box in another shed for the winter so my shop isn't full if something comes up on my or my wife's daily drivers. Removal was pretty straight forward. I managed to get the right front mount nut loose with a 3/4 drive impact, snapped the left rear bolt off, and abused the plasma cutter for the other 2. The chain hoist built into my new to me shop worked great for pulling the cab off. I have to build a stand for the cab now, and think I'm going to build it onto my car dollies so I can move it around.

Now I'm going to clean up the frame and throw some paint at it before it goes into storage.

Here's a picture of how it sits tonight and some of why it's getting a new floor.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #93
Roostre

And a few more pictures of the rockers and cab corners that will be replaced while I'm at it.

I know we've all seen bad rockers and cab corners before, but this helps me see progress when I review the thread!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2022, 09:15 PM   #94
Roostre

I haven't done much with the truck lately, it has been a cold winter. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it here in the near future. In the meantime, the new shop cat was checking out the new roof skin. I think he approves.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2022, 01:12 AM   #95
'68OrangeSunshine

Cool Cat

Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #96
Roostre

I finally got back to doing some work on the truck tonight. I decided that I would replace the cab corners before I replaced the floor. Like most things on this poor old girl, the cab corners were questionably repaired before I got to them. Like everything else I've touched on this truck, the cab corners were covered in Bondo. At some point, someone riveted some sheet steel over the original rusted cab corners and then filled them with expanding foam. So I fit my corner patch over the right hand corner and traced around it. Then I put some tape around it and cut a half inch away from my tracing. After I took the corner off, I was able to clean out all of the old expanding foam. I'll do final trimming and then weld in the patch another evening. Here's some pictures for everyone's enjoyment!
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2022, 11:21 PM   #97
Roostre

Here's the big block of foam and after the cab corner is removed. The amount of floor rusted away can be seen. If you're going to rivet tin over a rust hole, don't fill it with expanding foam, that just traps moisture and makes the problem much worse! I think next to be replaced will be the floor, I have a complete to put in, and then the rockers. The rockers seem to have the same treatment in that there was some sheetmetal riveted over them and a generous layer of Bondo applied.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2022, 12:37 AM   #98
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Here's the big block of foam and after the cab corner is removed. The amount of floor rusted away can be seen. If you're going to rivet tin over a rust hole, don't fill it with expanding foam, that just traps moisture and makes the problem much worse! I think next to be replaced will be the floor, I have a complete to put in, and then the rockers. The rockers seem to have the same treatment in that there was some sheetmetal riveted over them and a generous layer of Bondo applied.

That would be a lot of work. Looks like the complete floor would be the way to go.

Glad to see you are back on it......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:51 AM   #99
dagnabbitt

Great to see you picking up where you left off, because we have similar projects but you are one step ahead of me and I like being one step behind!

Presently doing more or less the same rad support fix that you did, before moving on to my own spray foam cab corners lol.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 04-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #100
toolboxchev

Talking Re: Roostre's 1967 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
I haven't done much with the truck lately, it has been a cold winter. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it here in the near future. In the meantime, the new shop cat was checking out the new roof skin. I think he approves.
Haha! Cool looking cat. Is he a mouser? A good friend of mine whom used to make the wooden aluminum skinned canopies for these trucks had a cat running his shop. He named her Tinker!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote