The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #601
SkinnyG

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

I like high labour, low dollar.

Jambs look good. Satisfying once it's done though, eh? Lot a' work though.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #602
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I like high labour, low dollar.

Jambs look good. Satisfying once it's done though, eh? Lot a' work though.
Appreciate it. It is very satisfying honestly. TON of work!! But overall so worth it. Yes it is not perfect by any means, but good for my means. This is not to say I am skimping out on anything really, just that I am not a body guy, nor do i have the $$ to pay a body guy, but it is done to my best, and that is good for me. I will be painting her also... soon hopefully... lol

Honestly this has taken by far the longest of anything on the truck so far!! This cab is killing me.. lol just keep going towards that end goal....
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:15 AM   #603
Paul Y

You are a braver man than I Gunga Din!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #604
pdxhall

Your work on the door jambs is coming along nicely. I'm in the exact position you are in with mine. What door seals are you using and do you have them on while you are aligning things? I am using the Honda door seals and I am finding that there are some areas where the seal holders need some aligning. I am also going to have to do a little tweaking on the bottom patches.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #605
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Your work on the door jambs is coming along nicely. I'm in the exact position you are in with mine. What door seals are you using and do you have them on while you are aligning things? I am using the Honda door seals and I am finding that there are some areas where the seal holders need some aligning. I am also going to have to do a little tweaking on the bottom patches.
Thank you sir. Honestly i have the seals but have not tried to install them as of yet. They are in my shed that is completely jammed full of all new stuff for the truck and with my luck they are located in the back... lol. I think you are smart to do what you are. My seals are re-pop ones for our trucks that as you are aware of are typically way to thick and suck to shut the door. At this point, i am just trying to get the doors to fit good and so that i can get the cab into sealer and start the primer going. BUT as i was working the last door to fit this last weekend I found that the bottom replacement panel is in too far and needs to be cut and extended out to be flush with the new door. I have the hinges moved in as far as possible and still about 1/4" away, so i have some work to do this next week to fix this.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #606
Paul Y

I need to buy new weather stripping and am torn between the Honda or repop route - will be looking into see how you get on with your instal.

P.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #607
pdxhall

What I like about the Honda seals is that I can pop them on and off to make adjustments. Good luck. I'll be following along for any help I might get in your process.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #608
88Stanger

Ok, need advice. I'll have the cab ready to go into primer, with doors pre-fitted. Here is where i am a bit lost. I could get the cab all ready and spray the final Red on and then set that on the frame which then I could start the process of getting all the internal cab stuff set in, like the wiring, AC unit, Stereo, seats, brakes, brake lines, exhaust, and well you get the idea. After that then get the doors painted and on then work on the new front fenders and hood, and then working my way to the bed. OR should I only get the cab into primer and ready to paint, then set it on the frame, then test fit the front fenders and bed and then disassemble and then have a paint party, starting with the cab, then set it on the frame and do all the stuff mentioned above and then paint the fenders and bed and ..... I know this may sound like a dumb question but i am just trying to find the best way to attack this. I did it once before with my 1969, but not to the extent i am with this one.
Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by 88Stanger; 05-15-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #609
The Rocknrod

I wouldn't "test fit" anything that's painted, that is if if the cab is painted and you test fit the doors or fenders to it, there will be damage. I wouldn't even primer it until your all test fitted out and ready to paint, then final assemble and install etc.
But that's just my experience, opinions and skills vary.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #610
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I wouldn't "test fit" anything that's painted, that is if if the cab is painted and you test fit the doors or fenders to it, there will be damage. I wouldn't even primer it until your all test fitted out and ready to paint, then final assemble and install etc.
But that's just my experience, opinions and skills vary.
Thanks, that is honestly what I should do if I am going to do this right. Not doing this is just trying to hurry up a situation that is bound to have issues when done... so, yes this is how i should do it. Honestly I knew this but sometimes when part of you says you could just do it this way, and you know that that is not the right way, just having someone to verify what you think is right is... so thank you. At least here shortly the cab will be in sealer... then time to do basic body check then check it on the frame and then final doors, front fenders and hood.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #611
pdxhall

I would get the body on and get all the body parts fitting correctly before doing any painting. get the doors on and gapped how you want them and then work forward. Fenders, cowl, cowl extension, and then the grill support. I sprayed epoxy on parts as I finished body work on them with knowing I would probably be spraying them again. Your choice though. I have had the doors, fenders, etc. off and on more times that I'd like to admit.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #612
88Stanger

Update: I got the doors fitting rather good but have decided to do final fitting after i get the cab mounted on the frame and set, just to make sure that bolting it down to the frame does not change them to much if at all.
With that said, I went ahead and sprayed the Epoxy primer on the entire cab for rust prevention this past weekend. I was very pleased to have it sealed off and will now start the final body work if needed and primer along with fender install and bed install for fitment.
Excited to have some movement on the cab and not have it in bare metal. Pics coming.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #613
Paul Y

12 posts and no pictures?

Tsk Tsk...

P.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #614
pdxhall

Wise move on getting things in epoxy. I also helps to find areas that need attention. Have you finished the bottom of the cab? I'm looking forward to pics.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #615
88Stanger

See attached pics - this is only 1 coat. I will sand down in certain areas and give it a second coat, just setting up new Harbor Freight gun, so will shoot a second coat later next week, but at least it is protected mainly now, that makes me feel better.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #616
pdxhall

The cab is looking great. Get that thing on the frame.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #617
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
The cab is looking great. Get that thing on the frame.
That is the goal! Lol, it's been so long...
Old 05-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #618
Paul Y

Most excellent work!

See. Pictures are what we needed.

Please continue.

P.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #619
88Stanger

Is it me or does it seem like the time of year that would be great to work on the truck EVERY other thing that is good to do in that time of year (Summer) you must also do, and well it takes a weekend to do!! Hard to get anything done on the truck this way.... Had Hyrdoplane Testing last weekend (I am on the board of Directors for our Waterfollies) then this weekend i have a rafting trip with friends from the Motorcycle club (family style club) that i was a member of, and so on and so on.... lol Oh well, the truck is going no where i guess....
Old 06-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #620
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Is it me or does it seem like the time of year that would be great to work on the truck EVERY other thing that is good to do in that time of year (Summer) you must also do, and well it takes a weekend to do!! Hard to get anything done on the truck this way.... Had Hyrdoplane Testing last weekend (I am on the board of Directors for our Waterfollies) then this weekend i have a rafting trip with friends from the Motorcycle club (family style club) that i was a member of, and so on and so on.... lol Oh well, the truck is going no where i guess....
Here you on that one! I missed my, self imposed, deadline due to lack of parts but still doubt if I would have made it as spent an entire weekend 'trying' to mow the grass.

I say trying because it took 2 days to actually get the mower to a point that it wanted to work and then a full day to mow and collect the grass after the 3 weeks of constant rain and then week of blistering sunshine.

I swear you could see the stuff growing....

Yours is one of my favourite builds of the moment, looking forward to seeing your progress.

P.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #621
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Here you on that one! I missed my, self imposed, deadline due to lack of parts but still doubt if I would have made it as spent an entire weekend 'trying' to mow the grass.

I say trying because it took 2 days to actually get the mower to a point that it wanted to work and then a full day to mow and collect the grass after the 3 weeks of constant rain and then week of blistering sunshine.

I swear you could see the stuff growing....

Yours is one of my favourite builds of the moment, looking forward to seeing your progress.

P.
Thanks Paul, i appreciate it.
I enjoy watching yours. I like the ideas you have come up with, great ideas.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be at times to get the lawn mowed with the rain you get often. With every positive there must be a negative it seems. you get alot of rain, but that reduces the dust... goods and bads... lol Like working on the truck, i can install this cool part... but then that causes me to spend more $$ so i can match this part, and so on, but it really is cool. LOL
Old 06-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #622
88Stanger

I know it is early, but i have a really interesting idea for exhaust that i have yet to see done... more to come on this....
Old 06-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #623
72cs20

Quote:
I know it is early, but i have a really interesting idea for exhaust that i have yet to see done... more to come on this....
Looking forward to it. You're doing the hard work on this one! Have enjoyed this thread greatly.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:15 AM   #624
Paul Y

Quote:

I have just been buying exhaust tubing for my attempt at making a NASCAR style Boom Tube because.... Child....

Please continue!

P.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #625
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post

I have just been buying exhaust tubing for my attempt at making a NASCAR style Boom Tube because.... Child....

Please continue!

P.
LOL i kinda did the exhaust out the side of the truck thing on my 1969 C10, through the bed sides with protection plates. It is cool, different, but what I do to the 1966 will be alot different, i looked and really have yet to find anyone doing it the way i want to.... so ya it will be different. LOL