The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2020, 11:33 PM   #126
J Williams

Re: Grandpa’s 63 C10 build

Well I haven't had much time to work on the old truck but the other day I went out to put the gas tank back in so I could start er up. It's a LMC under the bed tank I had put in the truck about 5 years ago and had driven the truck around a little before parking it. So I opened it up to make sure it was still clean and its chuck full of rust! Well I guess I am done until I get another tank ordered. Does anyone have a better idea then LMC or Brothers for one of these. I was trying to find a plastic formed one.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #127
notsolo

Boyd aluminum tanks under both of mine, they make them for "63" also.... A Blazer poly tank might work but the fill hole has a small "ID"...hard to fill.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:19 PM   #128
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Check with Tanks Inc and see if they have a poly tank you like.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #129
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Any new updates on this build?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #130
J Williams

Well things slowed down for a bit but I have made some progress here and there. I have the NV3500 mounted up finally and had to wait about a month for my custom driveline to be built. I now have the engine connected all the way to the back wheels. Got the hydraulic clutch in and I think I have it setup right?! Just ordered a gas tank so as soon as it shows up I will get it installed. Thought I had the power steering all figured out but I went out to the shop and I have power steering fluid all over the floor. Guess I obviously have some work there.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #131
roll_the_dice

Glad to see you back at it. Two steps forward and one back as I like to say, but as long as the good outweighs the bad, you are ahead of the game!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #132
J Williams

Well yesterday was day 8 of COVID for me, all I have is thankfulness to God that it wasn’t as bad for me as some others, my prayers for them are more than ever now.

For Christmas my mother in-law gave me a LMC gift card so I ordered a new gas tank. My beautiful wife also got me one so I get to make another order here soon!

I felt good enough that I got the tank mounted. Then got the float/ sending unit in, about took everything I had left in me to get the retainer ring on! Was looking around the shop for a small bolt for the ground and about passed out. Went back inside fell asleep after eating dinner at 5 and just woke up! It’s now almost 7 this morning!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #133
roll_the_dice

Looks good J!

Make sure you test your sending unit with your multimeter. I got my tank in and bed on and my sending unit was bad...now I have to drop the tank to get the new one back in....much easier if I had checked before I put the bed on! I won't make that mistake again!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #134
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looks good J!

Make sure you test your sending unit with your multimeter. I got my tank in and bed on and my sending unit was bad...now I have to drop the tank to get the new one back in....much easier if I had checked before I put the bed on! I won't make that mistake again!
Thank you for the advice! That would definitely be one of the two steps back situations!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #135
Johns 66

Glad you are doing well with the covid.....Gonna be awesome once you get it back together
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #136
88Stanger

J Williams, take it easy my friend, slow back in. The truck will be there next week, just make sure you are. I took a full 2 weeks off, it sucked no doubt, but i did so to allow the body to come back. Now i got hit harder than some, not as bad as others, so i gave it a full two weeks.
Anyways, onto your build. Nice work on the tank. What is next?
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #137
J Williams

Well I decided if I am going to build this thing I might want it to stop. So I put all new brake hardware in the rear, new pad up front and a new proportioning valve in. Had the help of the boy and of course Ol’ Hank.

Need to get everything bled and then put it on a car trailer and haul it to the muffler shop. I think I am going with the flowmaster super 44’s. From what I have read they should give me a good sound without too much cab noise. Put the pipes out behind the rear tires. Then I will be ready to fire this thing up for the first time in several years.

88stanger, hope you are all better now man. That is definitely some serious stuff, not that I think we should shut the world down because of it but we aren’t on here to talk politics.

Prayers your way that you have no long term issues brother.
Attached Images

Last edited by J Williams; 01-24-2021 at 01:05 PM. Reason: More text
J Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #138
J Williams

Well last week I put the truck on a trailer and towed it down to the muffler shop. I still had a lot of the old exhaust still hanging that only had about 3k miles on them so he reused a lot of the existing pipes. This is just a temporary hookup until I place the bed on so he can hide the new pipes and put better mufflers on.

I moved the engine forward about 4'' so he had to bend new pipes to hook to the manifolds that he cussed me for. The ramhorns I have on the truck are for 4 wheel drive models so they dump straight down, makes for tight work. He actually gave me the correct ramhorn for my truck to put on before I bring it back for the final hookup.

put the truck back on the trailer and towed it home. I then put some fuel in the tank and attempted to make her run for the first time in a long time! Well it was a partial victory, as long as I had my buddy pouring gas straight into the carb it ran like a charm, felt good to hear it run again!

For some reason I couldn't get fuel from the tank to the carb. Tried pressuring the tank while running the engine but the fuel never made it. I didn't have much time to mess with it because I got called back out to work. I will hopefully have some time to play with it again this weekend.

Also went out yesterday and just tried to crank it and my battery was dead... so with my new wiring harness I have something that's obviously pulling a draw, need to figure that out.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #139
88Stanger

Thank you Brother, i am doing great. It was a crappy couple weeks, but I am back, working out and moving on. Only lingering issue is my smeller is not back 100% yet. Otherwise, i am doing good.
With my recent little addition, an 8 week old Boston Terrier (Girl - Zoey) I have had limited Shop time, but i am grooming my riding companion for future... lol
Gotta love Flowmaster.... no sound like them. Fuel issue? Fuel Pump? fuel like kink, vacuum lock in tank? Just a few thought that i am sure you are looking into.
Wiring - Well now that can be a pain in the backside, 1 wire can cause you headaches beyond belief, just take it one step at a time. knowing how much of pain wiring can be....
Looking good so far though! And being able to spend time with the family while doing this.... priceless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Well I decided if I am going to build this thing I might want it to stop. So I put all new brake hardware in the rear, new pad up front and a new proportioning valve in. Had the help of the boy and of course Ol’ Hank.

Need to get everything bled and then put it on a car trailer and haul it to the muffler shop. I think I am going with the flowmaster super 44’s. From what I have read they should give me a good sound without too much cab noise. Put the pipes out behind the rear tires. Then I will be ready to fire this thing up for the first time in several years.

88stanger, hope you are all better now man. That is definitely some serious stuff, not that I think we should shut the world down because of it but we aren’t on here to talk politics.

Prayers your way that you have no long term issues brother.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:00 PM   #140
J Williams

Well today was definitely a great day! I played with the fuel system and after some troubleshooting I decided I needed a new fuel pump. Ran to town picked a new one up then bolted it in and hooked the fuel lines up. cranked her over and she purrs like a kitten..... well more like a pissed of Mountain Lion haha! She runs great! I wish I could post a video on here, I would post the one I took of it running.

Next I need to fix the front fender so I needed to bolt the door and the cowl on so I could line everything up. I have to say it is looking sexy! After I cut the rocker panel out and shaved the gas cap and fixed all the dents on the door, man my lines actually looked pretty good for someone who has no idea what they are doing.

All this plus about 4 hours of dragging my kids around on the sled with the 4wheeler trying to buck them off. What I wasn't able to do my dog Hank did a great job of tackling them and knocking them off. God blessed me with a great day!
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #141
J Williams

[QUOTE=J Williams;8880829]Well today was definitely a great day!

Just wish it wouldn't post the pictures upside down!!!! But still a good day.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #142
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Thank you Brother, i am doing great. It was a crappy couple weeks, but I am back, working out and moving on. Only lingering issue is my smeller is not back 100% yet. Otherwise, i am doing good.
Glad to hear you are doing good! I love to hear you are training a new riding buddy! Nothing like a good drive with man' s best friend! I wanted to also say I like how you have John 3:16 quoted on your posts. I need to do something like that. Good to place your faith out there like that. Good to see fellow Christian brothers out there! Stay bold!
Old 02-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #143
cwcarpenter98

Heck yeah, the truck is lookin' great! Hearing it run again is always great motivation for me

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #144
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Glad to hear you are doing good! I love to hear you are training a new riding buddy! Nothing like a good drive with man' s best friend! I wanted to also say I like how you have John 3:16 quoted on your posts. I need to do something like that. Good to place your faith out there like that. Good to see fellow Christian brothers out there! Stay bold!
Thank you sir! Ya, she is an awesome little girl, excited to see her get bigger and then go for rides! I have been doing a bunch of body work in the shop so i keep her in a safe area in the house, only of needs to inhale these nasty fumes.... lol with a mask on.....
I always have something on my truck that promotes my faith. I have alot, i mean ALOT of tattoos that also show it, some may say ironic, but i say it gets alot of people asking me questions that maybe would not. Awesome to see you up and working on the truck!!!
Old 02-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #145
J Williams

Funny you say that. Every Tattoo I have has a Bible verse in it for the same reason.

I hope to start on the front fenders here soon. Once I have them done I will be able to really rock and roll on this thing.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #146
J Williams

I finally got back out to the shop for a little man cave time. I invited a friend for an evening and we were able to cut apart the new and old fender to make one good right side fender. We messed up on our cut on the driver's side fender and wasted a nice 250$ Oh well live and learn.

These aftermarket fenders sure take a lot of work to make fit. I pulled the hood out of the other side of the shop and started sanding on it. Man Grandpa must have either just abused this truck or maybe he was not as good as a driver as I thought he was!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #147
J Williams

After we messed the driver's side fender up I ordered another one and man, I about started to cut it up to weld it to my old fender and then thought about just trying it to see if it would just bolt up. I couldn't believe it but it seems to fit. I had to do a little massaging but it looks pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2021, 11:07 PM   #148
J Williams

Some pics of the hood. Amazing where you find Bondo and the lack of attempt to pull a dent back in the day! they just tried to fill every hole and dent with filler.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #149
J Williams

I haven’t posted in a while but I have been putting some hours in. When I started this project I had no idea the time I would spend taping and masking. I see why a lot of people just stick to one color when they paint. Other than a couple touch ups that I need to do and painting my hood twice I think it will at least turn out to look like a complete rookie painted it in his driveway! On a serious note though it is actually turning out better than I thought it would.

I now get to put everything back together. Already realized I have lost my hood bolts, hope I have the right ones coming. Found a bench seat out of a square body and need to see what it will take to mount it up before having it r C reupholstered.

Looking forward to getting it to a point where I can drive it even without the bed. Once I have it all together I will pull the trailer in the shop that has the bed on it and start the body work process on it.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #150
J Williams

Maybe, if the pics are I’ll load
Attached Images