The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
bennylava

Engine turns over kinda slow?

Hi all. 87 tbi 350. My truck does something that kinda makes me nervous. About one out of every 4 times you start the truck, the engine turns over very slowly. If you've ever heard a dying battery, you know the sound I'm referring to. Like it's got just enough power to turn the engine over a few times, but not enough to actually start the truck.

But it always eventually starts. There's nothing wrong with the battery, I spent extra money recently and got a high quality AGM battery. Gotta be something going on with the starter itself. But it's new too.

The truck has always done this, except for one time when I borrowed a friend's starter for some troubleshooting. That thing would spin real fast, every single time. Sounded like the engine was really trying to start, and actually wanted to start.

These slow starts make me nervous cause you start thinking the truck isn't going to start. Sometimes it stops turning over completely, and then in 3 seconds it goes ahead and starts the engine. Anyone know what causes this? Cheap rebuilt starters maybe? Or could it be a cable, like it's not getting enough current to the starter?
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
Pontiac1976

Re: Engine turns over kinda slow?

I would check all your POS + connection to make sure there good and clean making good connections.
Oh and check the Fusible links to make sure there not corroded .
Then the NEG - connection to make sure there good and clean making good connections.
With the truck running I would make sure the ALT putting out the right amount power to the batt.
If the ALT check out good, see if the starter is pulling to mush load on the batt. Maybe the starter got an on off short inside. You can take your starter to big store like pet boys whatever in your area free test if you’re not sure about the ALT they do them too. Or maybe the store you got them from if they do test for them.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
400/400

Re: Engine turns over kinda slow?

I agree with Pontiac1976. Check all grounds and pos first. It’s amazing how a minor issue with continuity can have an affect on electronics.
1987 V10 TBI350/700R4/208/10/10
'85 Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643968
400/400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #4
44boggers

When I was younger I had the same issue on my first build. The issue was I needed one extra ground strap from the block to the frame. Then the starter turned over as it should.
So check you have a good ground connection from the block to frame, frame to body and battery ground is good.

You should also check voltage drop at the battery and then voltage drop also at the starter. Voltage drop tests will give you a lot of valuable information on where to go next.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Hi all. 87 tbi 350. My truck does something that kinda makes me nervous. About one out of every 4 times you start the truck, the engine turns over very slowly. If you've ever heard a dying battery, you know the sound I'm referring to. Like it's got just enough power to turn the engine over a few times, but not enough to actually start the truck.

But it always eventually starts. There's nothing wrong with the battery, I spent extra money recently and got a high quality AGM battery. Gotta be something going on with the starter itself. But it's new too.

The truck has always done this, except for one time when I borrowed a friend's starter for some troubleshooting. That thing would spin real fast, every single time. Sounded like the engine was really trying to start, and actually wanted to start.

These slow starts make me nervous cause you start thinking the truck isn't going to start. Sometimes it stops turning over completely, and then in 3 seconds it goes ahead and starts the engine. Anyone know what causes this? Cheap rebuilt starters maybe? Or could it be a cable, like it's not getting enough current to the starter?
Posted via Mobile Device
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote