The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Furno68C20

Frame Repair Options

I just got my 67 SWB frame back from the blaster and it looks like i've uncovered a problem. The area where the rear springs attach to is pretty bad. The rear axle cross member to frame bracket needs replaced.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what is the best way to correct it.

Do vendors sell frame parts such as this one? if not Does anyone have a pair?

The frame in the picture is upside down FYI. Worst is the driver side, pass isn't too bad but probably needs it too.

Any advise?
Attached Images

68 C10 Fleetside
68 C20 Fleetside SOLD
72 k20
Pay Pal: Grant.Furneaux@gmail.com
Furno68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
BigBird05

Re: Frame Repair Options

From the rust on the main frame rail you are going to need more than just a cross member.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
Blue GMC

^^^^
Agree really look that frame over well might be best to find a solid donor frame. The good news is 67 we’re not stamped with vin most of the time on Chevy and not at all on GMC making a swap easy
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
burnin oil

The real question is how happy you would be with a non factory repair and what are your skills. I could tackle that by replacing it in a couple of pieces and you probably couldn't tell. Can you weld and run a grinder? If so it is salvageable, if not start looking for a replacement. I am not a purist but believe an unmolested 50+ year old vehicle that is stock should be kept that way. So that said I see it as a blessing to build it the way GM should have. Nothing wrong with fixing it or going 4 link with a boxed frame. 100% original is now gone so go wild with what your budget can afford and your skills allow. After all you would be keeping a classic on the road. The sky is the limit.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #5
Furno68C20

This 67 frame has the last 5 vin stamped on the driver side. Would like to keep the frame and repair it. I’ve got some experience with a grinder and welder. I have entertained replacing the cross member and the two triangle sections that are on the inside of the frame along with welded plates to reinforce and strengthen the sections. I will probably have to invest and upgrade to a better welder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
burnin oil

You have skills so the work is achievable. Welders ate like gauges and work best at middle settings. I used a Hobart 140 mig to weld 4 link brackets on an axle swapped into a jeep. Great welder but I was up against the duty cycle in hot weather. Took all day to to the welding. That suspension just failed a couple days ago when the track bar mount ripped in two. The welds held. I welded that with a root pass and 2 cover passes. For thick stuff I break out the stick welder. After about 10 rods it would trip the 30a double pole welding 1/4 plate. Moral of the story is a quality welder will get the job done if you know how to use them. There is nothing wrong with making a root pass then 2 more to tie them in. Make sure you chose the correct wire and work within the machines duty cycle. All bets are off on a harbor frieght welder instead of a quality welder since I have no idea what you have. I ain't knocking HF tools either since I have a bunch. Loving that 10t press!
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
BigBird05

If your going to save your frame, I would look for donner frame sections so the gauge thickness of the metal would be the same. Once welded you couldn't see the repair. That is how I am going to fix my frame.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
If your going to save your frame, I would look for donner frame sections so the gauge thickness of the metal would be the same. Once welded you couldn't see the repair. That is how I am going to fix my frame.
I did this to repair a spot on a '56 Belair frame just last week. Worked like a charm not having to be concerned for dissimilar metals by using something else for the patch work.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
SkidmoreGarage

If you want to keep the original frame, I would look for a donor frame as suggested above. These frames are all riveted together, and replacing a section should be easy and the repair almost invisible. The shapes you are trying to recreate are complex and pretty thick metal. I wouldn't think I'd be happy trying to patch the structural points like spring perches, especially given that the metal is rusted like swiss cheese and you may struggle to get clean welds.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #10
NGN

Can short or long bed donner frame section be used for this particular repairs.
Thanks
NGN
Nick
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #11
SkidmoreGarage

I can't say for certain if the long and short have small differences, but it will most likely work as all of the other chassis stuff is interchangeable.

C10 and C20 have enough frame differences that I would make sure to keep it all 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. I would also try to keep it to the same year. 67 was a new design model year, and I am always finding stuff on my truck that isn't exactly the same as later years.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:52 AM   #12
bigmac73

I say easy fix, cut out those rivets on the support bracket and find a donor on here or local. for the frame rail issue i would get a 1/4 Fish plate and weld over it and do the same for the lower strap piece as well (or find a good weld fabrication shop and have them do it )
but first I would wire wheel the piss out of the whole frame and get a 2 gallon bug sprayer full of OSPHO and soak it down and let it sit for a couple of days and then go back and wash the treatment off with a power washer. then prime for now
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #13
cwcarpenter98

I'm not at home at the moment, but I recently picked up this section of frame. It's missing the coil spring mounting stuff, but it has good rails, so if you can't find what you need by Thanksgiving on the frame, send me a message.
I've got a heavy schedule with grad school, so I won't be able to make it back home where the frame section is until then.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #14
Furno68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN View Post
Can short or long bed donner frame section be used for this particular repairs.
Thanks
NGN
Nick
I looked into this. When guys cut a long box to a short they cut out 12” between the cab mounts and cut off about 7 inches at the rear of the frame. By cutting the rear you loose the holes for the rear bumper brackets. This add to the labor so if you have a swb to fix find a swb. Same with long beds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #15
truckdude239

i just went thought this found a good set of spring mounts and added a c nokt to box frame in that area

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 10-14-2021 at 10:02 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #16
Mbeef61

I have those spring perches if you need them. Not the crossmember but the perches. Shoot me a message if you are interested
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote