The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #651
Rubbertiredtramp

Re: most original 60-66 truck in existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13jraven View Post
Just when you think every stone has been turned over, one pops up.

Been looking for a 64-66 original paint truck for a while. Just never thought I would find one with most of its original paint.
That is a nice looking truck, I like that rear bumper, looks good.
Rubbertiredtramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #652
oem4me

Quote:

Been looking for a 64-66 original paint truck for a while. Just never thought I would find one with most of its original paint.
Congrats on that find! I hope it proves to be as good as it appears. More pics whenever you are ready.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #653
oem4me

Here's more proof that we are not yet done finding hidden gems.
The story is my boss had been bugging me to sell him one of mine. I was reluctant to do so, so I turned him on to a CL ad that I had recently spotted. It was half way across the country, so I warned him to ask tons of questions and assume the worst.
The answers to his questions all seemed too good to be true, as in scam good. Long story made short, the truck was bought on faith, trust in your fellow man, and few pics.
I just saw the truck in person for the first time last week, and boy what a gem! Very well preserved and mostly orig paint. A good detailing awaits, but what a solid survivor C20 it is! More details and pics when I get them.
Few and far between are the trucks that look "totally right" at first glance, but this one definitely does!
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #654
AcampoDave

Wow, what did they call that color?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #655
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
The story is my boss had been bugging me to sell him one of mine. I was reluctant to do so, so I turned him on to a CL ad that I had recently spotted. It was half way across the country, so I warned him to ask tons of questions and assume the worst.
The answers to his questions all seemed too good to be true, as in scam good. Long story made short, the truck was bought on faith, trust in your fellow man, and few pics.
I just saw the truck in person for the first time last week, and boy what a gem! Very well preserved and mostly orig paint. A good detailing awaits, but what a solid survivor C20 it is! More details and pics when I get them.
Few and far between are the trucks that look "totally right" at first glance, but this one definitely does!
I've said it before around here, or perhaps elsewhere- this is a picture that brings the word, "Covet" to mind.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #656
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Wow, what did they call that color?
503 Light Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I've said it before around here, or perhaps elsewhere- this is a picture that brings the word, "Covet" to mind.
Understood.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #657
sodly

Quote:
Hope he comes here to show us more and tell the tale!

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #658
Nevada51

Quote:
Amazing - looking forward to more pics. What is the wheel tire combo on this? They don't look like split rims which is relatively rare (I think!).
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:23 AM   #659
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada51 View Post
Amazing - looking forward to more pics. What is the wheel tire combo on this? They don't look like split rims which is relatively rare (I think!).
Good eye! The truck as purchased had the original 16" lock ring wheels on it. Not long after he took delivery, I happened to be caught in a moment of weakness and was persuaded to let go of a set of one-piece 19.5's for it. I think the trucks looks awesome wearing those, but I wonder if I'll ever find another set.

Last edited by oem4me; 03-18-2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #660
roll_the_dice

Quote:

Congratulations...Great looking truck! Love long steppers...

Is there a jealous emoji? Found one on my bitmoji! LOL
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #661
roll_the_dice

Quote:
503 Light Green.
Love 503 light green...wish mine were still 503 and the PO never changed colors!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #662
sodly

Quote:
Good eye! The truck as purchased had the original 16" lock ring wheels on it. Not long after he took delivery, I happened to be caught in a moment of weakness and was persuaded to let go of a set of one-piece 19.5's for it. I think the trucks looks awesome wearing those, but I wonder if I'll ever find another set.
Looks like somebody's in line for a raise and/or promotion, lol!!

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:22 AM   #663
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodly View Post
Looks like somebody's in line for a raise and/or promotion, lol!!
Lol. Despite appearances, letting those rare wheels go was more a matter of financial necessity than shameless brown nosing. Too funny!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:56 AM   #664
Nevada51

Quote:
That's why it looks so good Interested to know what tires he's running on them. On a (sort of) related matter, are one piece 17.5's rare? Tires for 17.5's seem almost non-existent!
Old 03-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #665
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Quote:
Sad but true. Are we all done finding survivors out there?
Another member recently posted a shot of this beaut in the "ugly snout" thread. post # 213. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=563978&page=9
I was hoping he'd help this thread along with some fresh content for the all-original crowd. C'mon pal, we need you! Lol.
I just noticed this thread... I posted the pic on the ugly snout thread. It's my father in law's truck. I'm out of town for work through Sunday (2 week trip, ugh), but I'll snap some more pics next week and post. That truck - 1961 Apache - was my father in law's dads (wife's GF). He bought it new, and kept it. After my wife's GF passed a few years ago, my father in law got it. The paint is original, as is the interior, except for a repro rubber floor mat. The only think that I'm aware of that's not factory original to the truck is a trailer hitch and a hand clutch. My father in law lost his left leg above the knee in a tractor accident in the early 80's. He's had a prosthetic leg since. When he inherited the truck, he had a local guy fab a hand clutch so that he could drive the truck. It's basically a handle that connects to the clutch pedal so that you can pull down and depress the clutch. It used a couple of existing underdash holes, and bolts above the pedal pad, so it is removable and does not interfere with normal operation for us two-footed people. I'll snap a pic of that too, because it's kind of cool!
Jackson's Dad 64 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #666
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad 64 C10 View Post
I just noticed this thread... I posted the pic on the ugly snout thread. It's my father in law's truck. I'm out of town for work through Sunday (2 week trip, ugh), but I'll snap some more pics next week and post. That truck - 1961 Apache - was my father in law's dads (wife's GF). He bought it new, and kept it. After my wife's GF passed a few years ago, my father in law got it. The paint is original, as is the interior, except for a repro rubber floor mat. The only think that I'm aware of that's not factory original to the truck is a trailer hitch and a hand clutch. My father in law lost his left leg above the knee in a tractor accident in the early 80's. He's had a prosthetic leg since. When he inherited the truck, he had a local guy fab a hand clutch so that he could drive the truck. It's basically a handle that connects to the clutch pedal so that you can pull down and depress the clutch. It used a couple of existing underdash holes, and bolts above the pedal pad, so it is removable and does not interfere with normal operation for us two-footed people. I'll snap a pic of that too, because it's kind of cool!
Great history! We would love to see it all. The fact the truck is so well preserved makes it worthy of sharing here. The personal aspect makes it that much more interesting! Let's see it, please!
Old 03-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #667
oem4me

Quote:
That's why it looks so good Interested to know what tires he's running on them. On a (sort of) related matter, are one piece 17.5's rare? Tires for 17.5's seem almost non-existent!
Those tires are Samson GL283A 's. As for the 17.5's, one can hardly claim rare when that was the standard wheel for C20's then. Finding them now however, is not so easy. Then finding tires is even more difficult.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:12 AM   #668
Nevada51

Quote:
Those tires are Samson GL283A 's. As for the 17.5's, one can hardly claim rare when that was the standard wheel for C20's then. Finding them now however, is not so easy. Then finding tires is even more difficult.
Understood on the 17.5's. I'm considering buying a 62 C20 with 17.5's and thought it was unusual as I haven't seen many around, and after spending hours of searching for tires, it explains why I thought they were rare! The 19.5's do look much nicer though!

Thanks for the info on the tires. How do truck tires drive, ie is the steering heavy (vs bias ply) and is it a harsh ride at 110psi? Sorry for the hijack, but I have spent hours looking for tires, so any help appreciated.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #669
factorystock

Wow! That '65 C 20 is a fantastic find. Perfect addition to this thread, another time capsule. I see it has the factory below eyeline mirror option ( ahead of its time- safer than the western type.) any other options? custom comfort? power brakes, stabilizer bar? A note, the '64-'65 light green is a different shade than the '66 light green. 19.5's are a great addition, a size that is still used today. Unfortunately, back then, not many were ordered on 2WD pickups, mostly ordered on 4x4's and bread trucks.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #670
oem4me

Quote:
Understood on the 17.5's. I'm considering buying a 62 C20 with 17.5's and thought it was unusual as I haven't seen many around, and after spending hours of searching for tires, it explains why I thought they were rare! The 19.5's do look much nicer though!

Thanks for the info on the tires. How do truck tires drive, ie is the steering heavy (vs bias ply) and is it a harsh ride at 110psi? Sorry for the hijack, but I have spent hours looking for tires, so any help appreciated.
The hijack is ok, given this is a viable and factory correct way of getting some appropriate rubber under an old C20. Finding tires may not be as difficult for the 19.5's, but finding the wheels themselves is near impossible. To complicate the search, there are a couple different Chevrolet versions which I call early and late, and then there are some semi-lookalike's which Ford and Dodge used as well.
The Samson 8R 19.5 GL283a's rode well and steered easy due to the skinny contact patch, which I think is invaluable on a heavy truck without power steering. I may be getting older and weaker, but fighting to park with fat tires has always been a B!*@H !
Below is a pic when those same tires/wheels were on my '62. I loved the look!
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 03-21-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #671
factorystock

Quote:
The truck as purchased had the original 16" lock ring wheels on it. Not long after he took delivery, I happened to be caught in a moment of weakness and was persuaded to let go of a set of one-piece 19.5's for it. I think the trucks looks awesome wearing those, but I wonder if I'll ever find another set.
You have a big heart oem4me. Most newcomers don't realize how long it takes to track down a set of 19.5's ( late style ), until they do it for themselves. When they come up for sale, they often quibble about the price, but, they soon find out time is money. Sure there are newer bump wheels, but the old school character begins to disappear. Did you grab the 16's? Those 16 lock ring wheels might be a nice to have for your C.C ( red with silver ring of course), if you ever want to go back to 100% factory CC..
Old 03-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #672
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Did you grab the 16's? Those 16 lock ring wheels might be a nice to have for your C.C ( red with silver ring of course), if you ever want to go back to 100% factory CC..
He's hanging on to the factory wheels, at least for now. Here's a shot the way it was purchased, just screaming originality.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2021, 12:40 AM   #673
murguia

My newly acquired ALL ORIGINAL PAINT 60 Apache fleetside SWB. The seat has been redone, but other than that, she’s all original and staying that way.

The body is beautiful On this truck. I love the 6 cylinder and 4 on the floor combo.

I have all the original protection policy paperwork and pamphlets.
Attached Images

murguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #674
factorystock

'65 C 20. Things to note. A "Custom" did not include chrome front bumper and hubccaps, those were a separate option. Wheels are period 16.5" tubeless, they accept period hubcaps. Seat and arm rests were red with the "custom comfort" option in '65 when the exterior was white.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2021, 02:21 AM   #675
Nevada51

This was on Craigslist back in Feb. '63 C20 in what looks to be very original condition. Great stance. Dark blue paint was not common from my understanding. I was in the process of trying to buy a '62 C20 in the same factory paint color. That sale didn't end up happening, and by that time, I was too late on this one!
Cam