The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
72cs20

Windshield gasket issues

I had my new windshield installed 3 or 4 months ago with the installer providing the gasket. Now I just noticed that the gasket is pulling away and/or shrinking leaving gaps in areas around the glass.

I went through this very same problem with my former 62 C20 and never did resolve it before it sold.

Is this an installation issue, poor quality gasket...? Anyone else having these problems with their windshield gaskets?

The pics are of the upper passenger side corner. The lower passenger side is doing it too. There were some straight sections that I was able to push back into place. But no luck with the corners.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
kaycee

Re: Windshield gasket issues

Id say both bad rubber and your glass is to small ,call the installer and ask him. Does it leak ? he will probably fill it with that urethane sealant that they use on the newer vehicles.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
duallyjams

It's hard finding glass that actually fits our trucks.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

All rubber seals shrink a bit. I've had really good luck with the fit of the Precision Replacement seals.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
All rubber seals shrink a bit. I've had really good luck with the fit of the Precision Replacement seals.
Yep, me to. It's the only one I'll use.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
bsarts

I think that may be a factory issue with the construction of the cab. When I had the front of my cab cut out to replace the parts that were rusted out above the windshield. I happened to be looking down along the side of the truck and noticed that the drivers side "A" pillar seemed to be at a different angle than the pass. side using the rear pillar angle as a reference point. I thought maybe it sprung when I cut it apart, but then I remembered that there was a gap at the drivers side upper corner of the windshield when I took it out. I put a come-a-long on the divers side pillar and pulled it over towards the pass. side until the angle of the front pillar relative to the back pillar looked like it did on the pass. side and then put the windshield up to check the fit and it was perfect. Then put the pieces I had cut out back into place and they were too long, which tells me it was not sprung, but was that way all along.

I think that, unless you're willing to cut the hell out of your cab , you may be stuck an ill fitting windshield.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
72cs20

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bsarts, you could be right. Given the age and the way the previous owners used this truck, I wouldn't be surprised if the cab is tweaked.

This truck is going to be used in all weather, so I need to make sure it isn't going to leak. I may buy a Precision gasket and re-install the windshield myself.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #8
Riverstory

What does the rubber look like at the corner from the inside?

I ask because I recently installed my new glass and seal. During the process, my upper outer corner looked like that and my upper inner corner was misshapen- so I added more water and dawn to the seal, glass, and metal and moved the glass/seal until it fit properly.
Riverstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #9
72cs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverstory View Post
What does the rubber look like at the corner from the inside?

I ask because I recently installed my new glass and seal. During the process, my upper outer corner looked like that and my upper inner corner was misshapen- so I added more water and dawn to the seal, glass, and metal and moved the glass/seal until it fit properly.
The whole of the inside looks great. I've been reading and researching and I'm not finding where this is a pervasive problem with these trucks.

Could be the gasket, improperly cut windshield, bad install or miss-shapen cab windshield opening. Add it to the list.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:58 AM   #10
fleetman

small glass as in less square inch surface area - or small glass as in less thickness ? maybe a little of both ?
fyi - a number of years ago i purchased replacement new windshield from big vintage glass seller up north. i compared its thickness to my old windshield and the new one is noticeably less thick.
the lmc gasket may have specs for original glass deminsions.i called lmc -no one seems to know !
maybe i will call precision and ask.
fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote