The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
morcey2

For any guitarists out there.

Hi all,
I'm relatively new to the forum and just wanted to share something else that I do besides cause computers to beg for mercy and get really greasy after work. I build lots of homebrew-ish guitar amps. All vacuum tube.

Marshall JTM45 clone

Plexi-6V6 (top) and P1-Extreme (bottom)

Guts of the Plexi-6V6

Marshall 18-Watt Lite IIb

I've got lots more pics and clips at my website:
http://mcorey.dsl.xmission.com

(Yes it's a business. No, I'm not trying to sell anything, just an accidental business that I fell into. And it's lots of fun. And loud. Really loud. )

Matt
morcey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: For any guitarists out there.

That`s really impressive.I don`t play,but am a music buff for sure.So,you can create old sounding amps for that raw sound or anything other characteristics desired from an amp.That`s cool! My brother-in-law is a professional guitar player in a roots r&r/blues band and I know he seeks equipment to get that "sound".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2009 at 08:59 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
NONHOG

That cool stuff ! Can't imagine figuring that out. Years back I hung out with some friends band. The lead guitar player made his own talk box with an 1156
bulb and who knows what .
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Kinghat

Hey. I've done some BYOC and GGG pedals and am really wanting to build a JTM-45. How difficult was it and how do you rate the sound from it as compared to the other amps you have built? Also what company is it? Which amp pictured is your favorite?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
morcey2

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That`s really impressive.I don`t play,but am a music buff for sure.So,you can create old sounding amps for that raw sound or anything other characteristics desired from an amp.That`s cool! My brother-in-law is a professional guitar player in a roots r&r/blues band and I know he seeks equipment to get that "sound".
I originally got into this thinking that I would build me one decent-sounding amp and I'd save some money at it. That was about 15 amps and $BOOKOO ago. There's just something about a saturated tube output stage that just hasn't really been duplicated in the solid-state world. Sometimes you can't hear it in the audience, but when you're playing you can feel the difference in the reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinghat View Post
Hey. I've done some BYOC and GGG pedals and am really wanting to build a JTM-45. How difficult was it and how do you rate the sound from it as compared to the other amps you have built? Also what company is it? Which amp pictured is your favorite?
I've built quite a few GGG pedals, a few tonepad, and a few runoffgroove.com ones also. As for the JTM-45, it wasn't too hard but it was my 4th or 5th amp. I've got some clips of it on my server but I need to figure out where I put them. The amp sounds really good, a really classic JTM45 sound but with a little bit more breakup because of a little less negative feedback. I usually run it through a 2x12 cab w/ greenbacks but it sounds its best through an old EV-SRO/12 that I picked up a couple of months ago. The alnico vibe from that is hard to beat. I actually won the JTM45 kit in a fundraiser for the family of one of the founders of 18watt.com who was killed in a car accident. Most of the parts were donated and are top of the line. All the 12AX7's are NOS (philips, tungsram, and adzam). The trannies are Marstran. The chassis is from GDS. The board. Wow. Let me tell you about the board. It's built by Ray Domizalski (I'm sure I got the last name wrong) and it's a work of art. NOS mustard caps all the way around.

I bought the power tubes (Valve-Arts KT66s), some of the other small parts, and the cab which is just a black small-box head cab. It gets borrowed quite a bit by people who can play guitar much better than myself. The ironic part is that since I started building amps, my practice time has gone through the floor.

As for my favorite, it's probably the Plexi6V6. Which I sold. I needed the money for medical bills and sold it to a friend of mine. It can go all the way from a JTM-45/Tweed Bassman sound to a late 70's SuperLead with the flip of a switch and adjusting a variable feedback control. I liked it so much that after things calmed down, I built another one. Not selling that one. I've actually built several of them, all slightly different. There's just something amazing about the sound of a pair of 6V6s being pushed nice and hard.

Something else that is fun is running the amps in parallel. An 18-watt on one side with a Tweed Deluxe-ish amp on the other just sounds amazing. Especially when I'm not the one playing.

Matt
morcey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I admit,I`m lost in all the talk.I know it means something .It`s like with me and Spanish,I kinda followed it.Back many years I tryed to get into playing,casually,when I ended up with a sunburst Rickenbocker 12 string like Roger McGuinn and Tom Petty play.I had a Fender practice amp.I was in Ft.Collins,CO and had to get home.This guy owed me money and I got that as payment.I really needed the money for the drive back east,but I was tickled to have these.I`m a big Byrds fan from way back(as well as Tom Petty).I found some riders off the college station ride board for the gas money.
I was learnin`my chords a bit and really enjoying it.I was at my folk`s house a few months and my little sister showed it off to some guy.The next thing I knew it was gone.We never locked the house.
I still want to pick it up someday.I played drums,but haven`t for many years.Married with kids killed my musician dreams and I gave my drums to my little brother.He`s 39 now and is a drummer by trade.He also builds & restores sets/pieces and sells them.He had a drum shop or a while...he let that go.He just sells on Ebay and by word of mouth.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Not a guitarist, but a drummer/sound tech. Actually worked at a local music store through which I ran a bunch of shows and repaired many things such as guitars, amps, mixers, etc. And from what I'm seeing it's looking very nice.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

And special-K, tell that brother of yours I might be looking for a sweet vintage kit here soon.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Hey,sounds good.I`ll let him know.

Tim

Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You need to look up Guitar Posts by bad6772.He is quite the Guitar nut.Someone should also post up pics of the 2008 Guitar he made for the NBM.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote