The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
ymi5150?

Hey there - joining with a 68 C20 Project

glad to have found this forum. will be looking for some advice.

My oldest son just enherited his great grandfather's rig. now i've got to work with him to make it safe and reliable. we'll be:
  • replacing carb with Holley Sniper and EI distributor for reliability
  • adding power front disc brakes
  • replacing wheels/tires
  • replacing exhaust
  • painting

its an 8 lug rig and currently has 16.5" rims so they probably have to go. 8 lug wheels are limited. any input here would be great. my boy likes the rugged look so we may go 33"x10.5"s. i need to know if i can get this disc brake kit into a 15" rim or if i need 16s

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-8-Lug-Deluxe/

offset suggestions would also be helpful.

Cheers
Attached Images

ymi5150? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
rpmerf

Re: Hey there - joining with a 68 C20 Project

Some thoughts.
I am still in the 'gathering parts' phase of swapping my 1970 C20 to disc brakes. I am using parts from a 83 C20 with the JB7 braking system. I will be buying most things new from Rock Auto. You can get everything you need from Rock Auto except for: Spindles, Proportioning valve, and the center link if using 73-87 inner tie rods, or conversion sleeves if using 63-70 inner tie rods.

Be sure to know what you are getting. I see the kit does not include a booster, master cylinder, or proportioning valve. Master is typically different for disc to at least allow a larger reservoir for the calipers. Proportioning should be different with discs. Wondering what inner tie rods they have since 73-87 inners will not fit your center link. Might use 63-70 inners, 73-87 outers, and conversion sleeves.

While you are in there, I would replace the control arm shafts, idler arm, and pitman arm, just so you know everything up front is nice and fresh. If you still have a 4.5 turn steering box, a 3.5 turn makes a world of difference.

For rims, it depends if you want to go new or used. Used, most 8 lug rims should fit, so you can find them used from a newer 3/4 ton truck. Make sure you get a rim at least 7" wide if you want to run 33x10.5s. 6" wide rims aren't recommended.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote