The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
SkidmoreGarage

American Racing VN510 Wheels, any experiences?

I am looking at wheels for a resto-mod truck. These are on my short list, does anyone have any experience with fitment/tire size on the 18x10 (5x5 lug)? I am looking at a 275 35 18 tire all the way around.

They come in a 0mm offset and a 12mm offset, I have a stock width rear axle and QA1 arms/coil-overs in the front with fender liners. I think the QA1 have a lot more clearance around the arms from stock, the sway bar mount is also different. Any thoughts on which offset? Any recommendations for what/how to measure?
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: American Racing VN510 Wheels, any experiences?

You can spend a lot of money on wheels/tires.
I look at this 80 buck tool as a small investment if you want to be accurate.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201

I can link some info on the redneck way to measure if 80 bucks is too much.

Last edited by geezer#99; 10-18-2020 at 05:31 PM.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
70StepsideC10

I recently put the AR VN515 wheels on my truck. I also went through the same headache of trying to figure out what would fit and doing a lot of measuring. The Wheelrite tool was suggested to me by geezer#99 as well, and while it is a great tool it was just too expensive for me, I'm in Canada and it would have been well over $100 to buy here. So I decided to make one out of wood using the Wheelrite as an example. Mine isn't as adjustable, but I was looking at two different sizes of wheels so I just made my tool to simulate those sizes. This can be adjusted between 15", 17" and 18" diameters using different combinations of the holes to bolt it together. The top piece that simulates the width of the wheel I just made two different ones with the appropriate length and backspacing and they can be unbolted from the L-brackets and swapped. I also drilled a couple holes at the ends of the top pieces to insert some rigid wire to simulate the tire, again just like the Wheelrite tool. Altogether it took me probably an hour to make this, saved a bunch of money, and was extremely helpful in determining what would fit. Using it I did find out that the 9.5" wide wheels I wanted to use on the rear would not fit because they had too much backspacing, so this saved me from spending a lot of money on wheels and tires that would not have fit.
Attached Images

70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
geezer#99

Someday, somewhere that thing will end up on somebody’s trophy wall and everybody will be wondering what it was made for! LOL!
Desperate times make for desperate ideas.
Here’s a cheap redneck way.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...heels-fitment/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
70StepsideC10

I wouldn't say it was a desperate idea. It got the job done the same as the expensive Wheelrite tool would have. I used materials and tools that were readily available to me, it didn't cost me anything other than a little time. The Wheelrite tool seems like a great tool, but for some like me that will only use it once it isn't worth the money. I was just showing the OP what I did in case he could use the idea or something similar to figure out a way to check fitment of the wheels.
70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote