The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
greatdaen

Pics of my '56 GMC

I am a newbie to this forum, but wanted to share my ride.

This 1956 GMC WideWindow was put together in the early 80's - back when I was in Highschool. I have just been enjoying it ever since. I remember hearing so many times as a kid this standard quip: "I wish I had never sold my ....." So I planned to keep my and give it to one of my kids some day. Well, I've managed to keep it for 20+ years so far.

This was to be my "drive to school" vehicle. I got it as a freshman. It was going to be a project of a stereo, fat tires, a little paint, and one of those chrome feet that attach to the gas peddle. Well, my nature has always been to dismantle all the way, and this project was no different. I ended up driving my mom's car, taking the bus and bumming rides from friends through all of highschool. I finally drove it in primer my senior year a little bit.

It started life as a typical I-6, 4-speed, 6-Volt truck. It suffered from the usual rust problems only worse because it had spent part of its life in Salt Lake City. I lived in a small town in Western Montana and had no experience. Our ranch had a pretty good shop for a ranch - that means we had more than bailing wire and nails. Tools were a typical set of Craftsman hand tools. And we had a torch and an AC buzz box welder - and my dad was a very good welder.

I took the truck down to the frame. It received a 283 Chevy small block and a '67 Chevelle donated its 12-bolt rear and a Saginaw 4-speed. I always planned on putting in a Muncie - when I had some money - but it never happened. I don't drive it hard anymore so the Saginaw works just fine.

We began collecting parts - these trucks didn't have much popularity in the early 80's, so you could still find some junkers around for cheap. The lear fender had the spare tire cutout. Found a '57 Chevy with a great box. The cab had bad rust in the hinge pockets and the back corners. Found a '56 GMC narrow window long box that had a cab in great shape. We had a good friend that owned a body shop. I pushed a broom one summer for him and he did some work. We cut the cab off in the middle of the A-pillars in front and at floor level in the rear. We put the Wide Window top section onto the narrow window bottom section and stitched it back up. RUST GONE!

Fenders and glass came from a combination of the three trucks.

The engine recieved a mild rebuild - 0.030 bore, better heads, Corvette stock cam, LT1 Manifold, Holly 4bbl.

Added a tilt column from a '63 Cadillac, the gear shift handle is the emergency brake lever from a '29 Buick road car. We swapped the front drums to late 50's Chevy car to match the 5-bolt pattern on the rear 12-bolt (direct swap). The farm truck had been a 12-volt truck with electric wipers. Used that wiring system and converted to an Alternator.

Paint (although it looks brownish in the pictures) is Yamaha Ruby Red - a beautiful candy apply affair.

Well its time to go to work, but I'll fill in some blanks later.

Enjoy.

-dch
Attached Images

greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
greatdaen

Next Pic
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
greatdaen

Last Pic
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
dubie

NICE!!!! My wife and I just picked up a 58 GMC short fleetside to fix up as soon as my 72 is done. Your truck is the perfect example of why we chose the 55-59 style!!

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:39 PM   #5
Blue Beard

Welcome to the board from SW Washington State....

Thats just fine...........wish she was mine......
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Welcome and Nice job on the truck!
I have always had a soft spot for the tri-five GMCs.
BTW Nice turbine wheels, What are they from.
Attached Images

DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
greatdaen

Denny,

Thanks for the comments. The wheels were one of those frugal purchases you come up with when you 'aint got no $$'.

They were made by Western Wheel - I think the name was Cyclone, but it's been too long ago to be sure.

These were a discontinued item because they had those wonderful "one size fits none" slotted lug holes - you know, so they would fit a Chevy/Ford/Dodge bolt pattern. I think I got them for $15 each. They were just to get me by until.... and they are still there. I personally have never had any problems with the slotted lug holes. But I have seen the problems others have had.

The only problem I have with them is that the center dust caps are a snap-fit affair and they like to come off. Can't get replacements because Western changed their design - probably because they come off - and the new versions are not compatible. Nothing a little RTV won't fix!

I have been planning on changing them out to something a little more "stylish". But it has been so long, I figure if I wait just a few more years they'll be back in style again!

-dch
Old 02-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

Thumbs up

great lookin' truck....!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
Stingray42
Woot.

saweet! I havent seen a GMC tri 5 done that nice! I really like your 'history' on the truck' very nice
Old 02-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #10
nitor
Too many projects

Welcome to the board! That's a really fine ride. I hope my '55 looks that good some day.

'55 Chevrolet Pickup
'56 Chevrolet Belair
'04 Chevrolet Astro
'95 Chevrolet Blazer
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:44 PM   #11
Lucky59
Do you feel Lucky...?

What a nice looking truck, and a pretty good story to boot... Welcome to the board, from Saskatchewan....

Lucky
2003 Dodge SX2.0 R/T

2001 Mountain Cat 800 LE
Lucky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
57CAMEO3124

Nice JoB on your GMC,, ID be proud to drive it.. I really like the color.. looks almost like bing cherry,, Welcome to the site,, From Washington state
Richard
57CAMEO3124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #13
Michel73

SWEET RIDE - you did a fine job. I found a '57 today and looking at your pics makes me want to get started
Old 02-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Do you live in Tucson? I saw a truck the exact same color parked in a driveway there when I lived there from 1978 to 1981.

I loved it then and I love yours too! Nice ride! rico_bob

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:31 PM   #15
greatdaen

Rico_bob,

Nope, I live up in the Phoenix mess - Apache Junction. This truck lived in Montana until 1990.

Thanks much for the kind comments. Life/Marriage/Kids/Work have caught up with me like it does for most of us, and my poor little baby has been ignored for a while. Since I have found this great forum, I am getting the itch to get reaquainted.

-dch