The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #226
Happy_dan

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

It will be awesome when you are done!
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:31 AM   #227
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Looks like this guy did a good job. The truck looks like it should. Very nice
yes sir thanks.i was driving a dumptruck yesterday and just got it home the night before so i really haven't had anytime to look very close but everywhere i have looked,it's beautiful work.the way it should be.he was telling me about all the places he found that he was repainting anyway,how the paint was flaking off as he sanded,or tape pulling the other make believe clown painter,paint off.i told him i realized how hard it was fixing somebody else's screw up but that i sure appreciate him taking this mess on.she'll be a knock out when i'm done with her.i got 2 nice emails last night from Santa Ana,Ca,one from the man,he's in his 80's now and the mans wife,who inherited the old homestead in Idaho where the truck was for 25 years.they can't believe what i'm doing with the truck and they told me how much that truck meant to their uncle and how they knew he'd be impressed.very nice to hear from them.they are searching for anything to do with that truck, or Leo Hoffman Chevrolet where it come from.i told them i'd be thrilled if they found anything.it's all good.take care.thanks.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #228
best view

It will mean more to you after all this work ,they don’t make them like this anymore ,and u can’t drive one and not smile , thanks for saving one
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:58 PM   #229
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
Clever way to hang/hold the tailgate during painting!! Locking pliers are the BEST!!
yes sir,they can come in handy at times.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:00 PM   #230
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
It will be awesome when you are done!
well i sure hope so Dan.if it doesn't,it won't be cause we didn't try??thanks for all your help.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #231
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
It will mean more to you after all this work ,they don’t make them like this anymore ,and u can’t drive one and not smile , thanks for saving one
it means alot already,can't wait to see it done and drive it again.hearing from the nephew of the original owner yesterday from California and him saying how impressed his uncle would be, meant alot too.it'll all work out.take care.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:48 AM   #232
mr.mud1

only a little update today.i've been busy since getting back from Ohio,working on customer cars,trying to get them done and back to my truck.i need a few friends to stop in to get the hood off with me so i can start pulling the motor out and everything else needing repaint.til some extra hands arrive,i was puttering around in the bed.it doesn't look like much but a lot of work re-installing the wheel tubs and re-bolting the bedsides to the floor,the tailgate hardware and all the sills,and going easy as to not damage new paint.the pressure.i was going to re-use all the carriage bolts but a few broke,a few bent so i did up a set of new bolts and the painter painted them all so it all went back together very well.to see the detail this painter went through to avoid overspray is incredible.i am finding little balls of tape stuffed into theaded holes,little foam ear plugs stuffed into every bolt hole along the bedside flange where it meets the floor.molding holes in the sheetmeatl with a piece of tape on the backside.unreal but the way it should be.the first clown,wanna-be painter couldn't be bothered to throw a cover over the engine,just paint right over it and this guy is filling in every threaded,drilled hole he finds.i guess that's what separates the men from the boys?
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #233
mr.mud1

not really any great progress to report,i've been busy with putting some cars away for winter,dump truck driving and plans for digging some drainage ditches tomorrow while the weather is nice.i did round up 10 hubcaps and there's 4 in there that i can do something with.i bought a set of the decals for the black on the hubcaps and the blue bowtie from a fella in North Carolina.i may use them rather than try to mask off what doesn't want paint and repaint them.i'm a long way from needing hubcaps but i have some finally.i did have a couple buddies stop in yesterday so i took advantage of all the hands and got the hood off.i can handle it from there,i'll get the fenders off with a hand from my wife,then smooth sailing.i plan for the weekend to have everything off and out of the way in order to pull the engine out for it's new coat of paint.i think i'll be replacing the coil,distributor cap,wires and a bunch of stuff,all covered in white overspray.it'll be easier to replace some stuff rather than fight to get off paint?i have noticed,every trim hole in the fenders,doors and bed sides have had a piece of masking tape on the inside to keep overspray out and these little foam ear plugs in every hole down the bedside flange where the floor bolts back to the bedsides.every new carriage bolt i pushed in,pushed out an ear plug?what a differance getting paint work by a pro who cares about his work compared to a clown who lacked the brains to even throw a tarp over a new painted engine and engine compartment??there will be more progress by the weekend.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #234
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Excellent thread Greg. Shame the painter was a failure, but in the end your truck will be even better. That truck is sweet.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #235
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Excellent thread Greg. Shame the painter was a failure, but in the end your truck will be even better. That truck is sweet.
thank you sir,if i can make it 1/2 as nice as yours,i'll be happy.take care.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #236
mr.mud1

just a little progress to report although i'm going backwards,but sometimes you have to back to go ahead,and that's certainly the case here.i have been busy with some customer cars and will be dumptrucking tomorrow but today with help of a neighbour,got the front fenders off.a pretty delicate job with all that new paint but off they came without any trouble.i have the fenders wrapped in furniture blankets and put away for now.with the fenders off,the overspray everywhere is even more evident when you're standing looking at it and i think it's visible even in the pictures?what a mess but i fixed it once,i can do it twice.i included a picture of how it looked when it went for it's first miserable excuse for a paint job in May,just as a little reminder of how good i think it did look?we'll get there again.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2022, 10:13 PM   #237
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
thank you sir,if i can make it 1/2 as nice as yours,i'll be happy.take care.
Thanks, but your truck is super. Nice find and even better now, by a lot. Your block looks sharp BTW
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 11-09-2022, 11:02 PM   #238
mr.mud1

Quote:
Thanks, but your truck is super. Nice find and even better now, by a lot. Your block looks sharp BTW
thanks a million.i'm glad this truck is mine, never had one this nice.the picture of the engine looking good isn't what it looks like now,that was what it looked like before the first wanna-be,make believe moron painter got a hold of it for the first paint work in May.the picture with the white paint splattered all over it is how it looks now.that's why it's all coming apart and back out.we'll get it how it should be,just more time and elbow grease.take care.thanks and we'll be waiting to hear about yours.thanks.Greg
Old 11-10-2022, 02:04 PM   #239
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
thanks a million.i'm glad this truck is mine, never had one this nice.the picture of the engine looking good isn't what it looks like now,that was what it looked like before the first wanna-be,make believe moron painter got a hold of it for the first paint work in May.the picture with the white paint splattered all over it is how it looks now.that's why it's all coming apart and back out.we'll get it how it should be,just more time and elbow grease.take care.thanks and we'll be waiting to hear about yours.thanks.Greg
You should sue the guy.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #240
mr.mud1

Quote:
You should sue the guy.
hi Tony.you're not the first to suggest that but he's not worth my time.i'll cause him a million dollars worth of bad advertising.good enough for me and another lesson learned.i should have them all learned by now???apparently not.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #241
mr.mud1

well here's today's progress.seems like a huge step backwards but one i have to make.my buddy Keith drove here this morning to lend a hand getting the engine out of my truck,Keith has a nice bronze/white 72 truck.i can't believe it but it's actually worse than i thought was even possible.the front frame section is covered in white,the brake lines,power steering hoses,trans cooler lines and gas lines,all covered.i had all that stuff off,cleaned,looking like new,painted the frame and re-installed all those hard lines,i'll have to do it all again.as well as the first table load of brackets,pulleys,battery box and everything else to clean and or repaint.the rad support,rad,shroud,even the wiring harness is painted and i have no idea how to get that paint off but i'll come up with something hopefully.then of course,the engine is a mess but that's easy.better days are coming.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #242
Louisvillekytruck

What paint did u use to paint it the first time
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:32 AM   #243
mr.mud1

hi,the black is Tremclad semi-gloss.i don't know if you have in the states?although Tremclad is owned by Rustoleum and we have that here too but i don't know if it's the same paint?the orange is Chevy Orange from Duplicolor over the Duplicolor engine paint primer they recommend and the white overspray is PPG single stage urethane.the jerk that made the mess went ahead and sprayed black of some sort all over the rad support and other places trying to hide his disaster,i don't know what he used but i imagine just something out of a rattle can.it's a mess.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #244
Louisvillekytruck

Quote:
hi,the black is Tremclad semi-gloss.i don't know if you have in the states?although Tremclad is owned by Rustoleum and we have that here too but i don't know if it's the same paint?the orange is Chevy Orange from Duplicolor over the Duplicolor engine paint primer they recommend and the white overspray is PPG single stage urethane.the jerk that made the mess went ahead and sprayed black of some sort all over the rad support and other places trying to hide his disaster,i don't know what he used but i imagine just something out of a rattle can.it's a mess.
Is the paint you used out of a rattle can or paint gun . If it is out of a paint gun and the paint has hardener in it try using a 3 inch mini buffer and compound to buff the over spray off.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #245
Louisvillekytruck

You need to uncover the fenders to let the paint dry . If not all the chemicals can not get out and may mess up the paint on them.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #246
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck View Post
Is the paint you used out of a rattle can or paint gun . If it is out of a paint gun and the paint has hardener in it try using a 3 inch mini buffer and compound to buff the over spray off.
thanks,it's all rattle can,prepped well and painted over primer.i think rather than try to get it off by buffing,i'm going to wash it all down,scuff it all up with steel wool or a pad and just re-spray it all.there's too many bends,corners and twists and turns on the rad support,frame rails and so on to try to get a buffer in there.this paint is a mess and i think repainting is the answer but i appreciate the tip,the fenders are now stored away on the other side of the shop sitting on my car trailer,uncovered now.i did see just a little spot on the bedside i thought was a greasy fingerprint but it's a faint little bit of overspray.i asked the fella who just painted it about getting it off,he suggested a claybar with some spray wax on it,should come off,he said.i haven't yet tried but i think i'll try that and if it helped,use that or as you suggested with a small buffer on paint i want to save.thanks.Greg
Old 11-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #247
Louisvillekytruck

Claybars are great too
Old 11-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #248
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck View Post
Claybars are great too
i hear that but never used one.i bought some the other night but haven't had a chance to try that method yet but i will.thanks
Old 11-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #249
mr.mud1

a little progress today although still taking thing off and apart to get down to a bare frame.the table full of parts to either repaint or get paint off,is growing taller?i worked today getting overspray off the new windshield and the stainless trim.tomorrow if the weather lets me,i have some work to do in the yard where i dug some trenches for drainage pipe but failing that i'll be scrubbing on the frame getting it ready to repaint.my wife came home tonight with a picture of a blue&white 64-66 truck she stopped and took at the same imitation body shop that made all this mess.i don't know who owns the truck but i hope he's prepared for the disaster he's about to get??
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2022, 06:11 PM   #250
mr.mud1

there's not too much to report,slow going sanding pulleys,brackets,motor mounts and on and on,then paint to get off all the hard lines,hoses,wiring and so on.i just started on the engine to get it ready to re-paint but not ready to paint yet.i did get the front frame section re-painted so that's progress.i plan to have the engine repainted this weekend,we'll see.
Attached Images