The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #151
mr.mud1

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

i stopped at the body shop this morning after driving my wife to work,i was surprised to see a 57 chevy in there for a little TLC as well.it wasn't there yesterday?anyway it's all good,the body guy is doing the whole truck,except the roof.he thought he might be painting white tomorrow or the next day.
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:29 PM   #152
mr.mud1

the truck is at the body shop but still lots to do here.my wife drove by the bodyshop on her way to work,she called to say they were backing the truck out as she went by,it's all in primer so i imagine he'll be painting the white tomorrow,and perhaps the green on monday?i spent several hours cleaning the shop,it was an awful mess.i got the rear bumper painted,the front bumper and bumper bolts all cleaned and polished to go back on and the grille dismantled,the outer shell cleaned and repainted black around the headlight bezels,the bowtie cleaned and the inner grille scrubbed clean and painted rallye wheel argent,then reassembled.it all looks much better.now i have pile of molding that needs some tlc.that's going to tomorrows project.i ordered a few things this morning,a woodgrain tailgate band for one,back ordered for 4-6 weeks but that's ok,i have lots to do and lots of work whenever the truck does come back,the tailgate band won't hold me up from driving the truck.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2022, 10:06 PM   #153
68bowtie

Looks like a brand new lego set.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #154
Happy_dan

Didn't this all start with a carb rebuild? LOL. Can't wait to see it all back together.
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:36 AM   #155
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
Didn't this all start with a carb rebuild? LOL. Can't wait to see it all back together.
ha-ha,i think it was an oil change??you're not far off,fix a few oil leaks i thought?ya right.a few oil leaks and a leaky transmission and it turned into this?but that's ok.i'm sure the finished product will be worth the work.the body shop guy just called,he has the white painted and he wants me to stop by to show him how the white and green was around the tail lights,so i'll get a look at what he's done.looks like green will be first of next week,all good.take care.Greg
Old 05-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #156
mr.mud1

well,we have white on the truck,green was painted today but i haven't seen it yet,i might get the truck back Monday or Tuesday.we'll see then what we have.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 06:10 PM   #157
Happy_dan

Looking good!
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #158
mr.mud1

just a little update,the truck is now green and white.the green was painted on friday but i haven't seen it,i stopped by the shop this morning coming home an estate sale.i looked in through the windows of the body shop but didn't see the truck,i think it was in the spray booth.i'll get it monday or tuesday and take inventory and see where we go next.i spent the day cleaning moldings,polishing stainless and finishing up my grille.another cart load of moldings waiting for some TLC tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2022, 01:41 AM   #159
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
well,we have white on the truck,green was painted today but i haven't seen it yet,i might get the truck back Monday or Tuesday.we'll see then what we have.
Awesome that they are making quick work. Thought maybe a blend on the repair, did not know until now you were doing a complete. Looking good!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #160
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Awesome that they are making quick work. Thought maybe a blend on the repair, did not know until now you were doing a complete. Looking good!
hi Richard,nice to hear from you.you're right,the original plan was to paint the green from the narrow upper molding,up and all the way around the truck,and the white bed sides after the gas doors disappeared.once i got that far and all the door handles,mirrors and moldings off,i thought there's not much truck left so i asked the body shop guy if he had time to paint it all,so here we are.i don't have the truck back,maybe wednesday or thursday and then i'll decide what's next?it is all green and white again,i'll put on a couple of pictures this evening.take care.Greg.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #161
mr.mud1

well it's finally green and white,not going entirely to plan.i don't have it home yet,maybe later in the week and then decide what's next.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #162
mr.mud1

not much to report today except more cleaning on moldings,all done now,re-applying new adhesive on the places on the moldings,new adhesive was required,polishing and cleaning the original DG4 west coast jr. 71 date coded mirrors and swapping the old mirror arms for the new Napa arms that came from Jeff in Ohio,thanks, painting the brace from behind the grille and the latch,re-installed the license plate light and the bracket for the plate on the newly painted rear bumper.i'm waiting on a shipment of clips and screws,rubber bumpers and some odds and ends to re-assemble the truck and a new woodgrain tailgate band that is on back order.i should have the truck back later this week and we'll see what's the plan of attack.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #163
mr.mud1

well i got my truck out of paint prison today.i don't know why i should be surprised??seems to be the way of the world,get charged the biggest kind of money for a mediocre job?it seems to be an ongoing theme around here,1 step ahead,3 steps back.instead of re-assembling my truck,now that it's back home,i'll start tomorrow taking it apart to re-do everything under the hood that i spent all winter repairing and repainting.everything is covered with overspray,including all the new underhood decals that were ruined,first by overspray,then with a rag wet with lacquer thinner when the guy tried to get the overspray off?everything is covered,the engine,rad support,rad,shroud,power steering reservoir,steering pump,new tilt steering column,there's even overspray on the water pump pulley and fan blades,the battery,wiring,there's even overspray on the dash??.it's everywhere and i told him not to paint inside the doors or inside the bed.he painted inside the doors and inside the bed?back to the drawing board?
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2022, 12:59 AM   #164
Richard

Sorry to hear of the disappointment. Record time to get it back. Really surprised at that. My truck took 7 months with me putting in over 300 hours myself at the body shop. Looks really nice in the pics. Sucks that they did not take much care to protect existing work. Hope all goes easy with the cleanup.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #165
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Sorry to hear of the disappointment. Record time to get it back. Really surprised at that. My truck took 7 months with me putting in over 300 hours myself at the body shop. Looks really nice in the pics. Sucks that they did not take much care to protect existing work. Hope all goes easy with the cleanup.
hi Richard,nice to hear from you.it's an awful pain in the tail.the more i look,the more i see wrong.when i got the truck back Thursday,i washed and went over the whole truck,taking inventory.it's a real mess and just gets worse,the more i look.i tried to get overspray off,it won't come off so i've resigned myself to the fact that the nose has to come off and everything on the engine that isn't orange has to come off,repaint the engine then all the black parts need to be repainted,then a load of parts with no paint that are oversprayed,a real mess,then yesterday i found on the left side of the rad support,where the voltage regulator,horns,power steering reservoir and a bunch of wiring,all painted black with a rattle can,not my work but he must've seen where he blasted in through the hole in the fender for the side marker light,a load of white paint.he got out a can of black,painted everything,wiring,hoses,i guess he figured i'd be too stoopid to notice??now i have to get all the black paint off wires and such.i'm just overwhelmed.i worked all winter,everyday and now have to do it all again.i could almost live with having to do everything under the hood again and be ok,but i'm left with a huge mess in the bed and door jambs,where i told him not to paint?i was perfectly happy with the nice shiney original paint with a scratch or 2,rather than the mess he made by not preparing the bed or door jambs properly,just got in there,shot some paint around like he was gearing up an old truck to sent to auction,just a lick and a promise i call it,should've left it alone,like i told him,now i feel like i need to take the bed off,take it apart and paint inside and the doors properly so they look like the rest of the truck?not sure where i'm going next?i am supposed to have the PPG Paint guy coming to see the truck over the weekend,so maybe i can pick his brain.i did talk to the guys at the Chevy Dealership bodyshop in town,maybe,depending on what the paint guy tells me,i may take it to the chevy dealer next week?anyway it's your Memorial day weekend,hope you and all my U.S friends have a good one.we do have lots to be thankful for so this isn't the end of the world,lots of folks in lots bigger problems,a 100 years from now,i'll look back at this and laugh.take care,all the best.Greg
Old 05-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #166
LT7A

Hey Greg, so sorry that the painter was so clueless. Really can't bring a collision repair mentality to restoring the finish on a old truck. And then to go over your immaculate engine bay with solvent and a rattle can. So much better to admit to the mistake and work it out, rather than try to fix it in such a manner. Really no understanding of the picture at all. On the bright side, the paint that went where you wanted it looks good. I hope you can make short work of the damage.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:03 AM   #167
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Hey Greg, so sorry that the painter was so clueless. Really can't bring a collision repair mentality to restoring the finish on a old truck. And then to go over your immaculate engine bay with solvent and a rattle can. So much better to admit to the mistake and work it out, rather than try to fix it in such a manner. Really no understanding of the picture at all. On the bright side, the paint that went where you wanted it looks good. I hope you can make short work of the damage.
yes sir,a real shame that someone can't follow instructions?i didn't do anything this weekend on the truck,waiting for the paint rep guy who said he'd come by and have a look,he didn't show up.i do have to take the front clip off,the rad and rad support and everything off the engine that isn't orange,repaint it all then re-do all the black bracketry,get paint off what shouldn't be painted and do it all again but until i know what i'm doing about the paint on the truck,i'll leave it intact so if it goes somewhere else,it will still drive.we'll get'er figured out.take care.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:06 AM   #168
Phillip Owings

Looking Good.
Phillip Owings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:47 AM   #169
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Owings View Post
Looking Good.
thank you sir,it's coming along.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #170
Chevys4life

Man...........it appears that they all are the same from what you said. It is the sign of the times that we are living in. Body shop jail is way of the world now. All of the overspray on all of your hard detail work is such a bummer. I know how much time you took for the details.
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:46 PM   #171
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevys4life View Post
Man...........it appears that they all are the same from what you said. It is the sign of the times that we are living in. Body shop jail is way of the world now. All of the overspray on all of your hard detail work is such a bummer. I know how much time you took for the details.
yes sir,it's a pain.i did just have the paint rep guy i was waiting on,arrive a bit ago,he looked over the places i wasn't happy with,like the orange peel on the hood,the cowl piece that's a different shade than the rest of the truck,the messed up door jambs and bed,that i didn't want painted but he did anyway,he advised that to fix it and have it match,all the green from the upper moldings,up,should be resprayed,all around the truck along with bed and door jambs but there needs to be a bunch of time spent preparing the bed and door jambs in order that it look as nice as the paint on the truck,other than the hood and cowl.the original paint in the bed and door jambs was fine,if he had've followed instructions and left it alone?i have a guy,highly recommended coming thursday to see the truck,i spoke to him today.he said he can do it,in October???that won't do but i may not much choice.a real pain in the rear end.i will have to strip the nose off the truck to re-do everything under the hood but i'm not doing any of that til the paint is fixed.the guy who did it,said this was as good as it gets?sorry,that's not good enough.we'll see what Thursday brings?
Old 06-17-2022, 07:17 PM   #172
mr.mud1

well not much of an update or at least an update with any good news.i have had a few fella's asking about my truck so i thought give an update anyway,although it's not going anywhere fast?i had the truck painted,it's a mess.i've been weeks now trying to find someone to do it over or repair what i'm not happy with but getting nowhere,everybody i've called is either busy for the next year or so or they don't return my calls,drives me nuts.there's supposed to be a guy with quite a reputation for excellent paint work,to come see it this weekend along with the paint rep guy.we'll see what the weekend brings?i need to pull the engine compartment apart and repaint everything under the hood again,the engine needs resprayed and everything bolted it to that was black needs redone,the rad support,the rad,everything.there's black paint the jerk sprayed around trying to cover up white overspray so now i have black to get off things that shouldn't be painted at all?i warned him about getting overspray on the engine when i dropped off the truck and how i needed him to be careful and cover it all well.i doubt he covered anything,not even smart enough to tape over the holes in the fenders for the side markers,just paint right by them and blast all that white into the engine compartment?you can see how much overspray there is by looking in the battery box,without the battery in place,it's plain to see.i was scratching with a fingernail,in the overspray on the rad support,headlight rings,it's everwhere..the hood is all orange peel,might be hard to see but it's not pretty and the cowl,it's a different shade of green cause he painted it off the truck.i asked him not to paint inside the bed and doors,he did anyway and did a lousy job.the inside of the bed wasn't prepped at all,painted over dirt,oil.the paint on the headboard and the bed side insides,only got a lick and a promise as far as paint.you can see right through it.he screwed up the tape line on the back of the cab below the rear window.the molding won't cover it.i have green on both sides of the molding?pitiful excuse for paint work by a so-called expert?if i don't get that guy here this weekend,i may build a temporary paint booth in the other side of my shop and do it myself.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #173
mr.mud1

more pictures of this mess.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #174
McDeezl

Hey Greg,

Jeez that is just plain painful! Looks like the work to correct the overspray mess will be as big a job as the paint work for the body. You are way more diplomatic in describing that guy's lack of talent than I would have been that's for sure. If your area in NS is similar to mine in QC the shops who are the real deal are few and far between and booked a year plus in advance. On top of that even if you could get it in the invoice at the end would be enough to make you croak so I'm betting that you end up doing it yourself. Just keep saying to yourself "we will make this fun somehow" and you will be done before you figure out the somehow! You know you will have a big cheering section here so go for it!
Sean
Old 06-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #175
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeezl View Post
Hey Greg,

Jeez that is just plain painful! Looks like the work to correct the overspray mess will be as big a job as the paint work for the body. You are way more diplomatic in describing that guy's lack of talent than I would have been that's for sure. If your area in NS is similar to mine in QC the shops who are the real deal are few and far between and booked a year plus in advance. On top of that even if you could get it in the invoice at the end would be enough to make you croak so I'm betting that you end up doing it yourself. Just keep saying to yourself "we will make this fun somehow" and you will be done before you figure out the somehow! You know you will have a big cheering section here so go for it!
Sean
hi Sean,thanks for the words of encouragement.this has been quite a disapointment to say the least.this truck is too good to look this bad.you're right,the good shops are few and far between,even the lousy ones are booked up months ahead of time.the Chevy dealer won't reply to my email,the Ford dealer guy at the body shop said they were 80 cars behind?it's all covids fault they say?i won't count my chickens before they hatch but i did just have a real painter leave here.he drove an hour from New Brunswick along with the paint rep guy,to have a look.he was shocked at what he was looking at.he's just left and he knows what i want and expect,said he'd go home and look at the work load and when he could do it and call me mid-week,so we'll see.he said he had a couple of big projects on the go that he thought might be winding down til winter,so as i say,not going to get my hopes up but we'll see what he says,mid week.better days are coming.take care.Greg