The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Shon

Re: calling LS swaped guys

TM is in the PCM.
Express Vans 2500/3500s have the same LQ4s and the trucks.
they have some extra sensor plugs on the harness that you dont use but its all the same, and their harness is longer....
I am not sure when they put the ETC style TBs on the vans so that might open up some options.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #27
79bonanza

ok cool thanks man, im sure at some point ill have more questions for ya
79bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #28
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
IF you are running a TH350 or TH400 or other non electronic controlled auto then you do not need to worry if you are using a mechanical speedo, you just run the cable(stock) to the speedo as normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bonanza View Post
ok thank, yea i plan on running a sm465 4 speed, i guess i wont have to worry about that then.
Doesn't the engine need a signal from a VSS to run at its highest potential??? I know it doesn't HAVE to have it, but I thought it was much better if you did. The engine needs to know what speed its going (not just RPMs) to tune itself properly. I have read this on a couple different sites, here is a quick link that keeps it pretty brief. Read the first paragraph. If I'm incorrect on this then by all means let me know, I'm in the middle of the same swap!

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...integralsleeve

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
Shon

I have several machines running without the VSS hooked up to anything.
there are not any tables (ie fuel or spark) that are controlled by the VSS when you do not have an electronic transmission. IF you do have an electronic trans then yes, it has to have the VSS.

As I read that first paragraph I have undelined the main reason it is there...ie the parts they have referenced is to run mechanical speedos:
PASSENGER CAR VEHICLE SPEED SENSORS

On the far right above is a 4-pulse integral VSS/speedometer sleeve. This VSS has provisions for using a standard speedometer cable and was used on 1990-1992 Police cars which had cable driven radar units. The unit is no longer available from Chevrolet, but Stealth Conversions has a large inventory of the remaining units. This will work for a 1990-1992 TPI (or 1990-1992 Camaro V6) and 1992-1993 LT1 engine with a 700-R4 transmission or ZF six-speed into a vehicle which requires a mechanical speedometer. This unit comes in two styles: one for 34-39 tooth driven gears, and one for 40-45 tooth driven gears. They use the same speedometer gears as the Corvettes and Camaros. This unit will also trigger the 4-output vehicle speed buffer shown on page 12-2 of the VSS chapter. This unit is made of plastic, and will not support an angle drive unit.

Last edited by Shon; 11-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #30
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

But it is required if you want to have a functional cruise control, correct? Even if you have an old style manual tranny.

Last edited by Critter; 11-15-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #31
Shon

Cruise control...who wants that, LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #32
w4625

Shon
I want to run a 700r4 with a 6.0 lq4 in my 72 chev swb fleet, i have gathered all the autometer gauges i need except for the speedometer...i was told that i need a programmable speedometer. is that true? or do i need a electric one instead?
thanks
w4625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
Shon

what does your trans put out, I assume its a mechanical output, then you decide do you want to run a mechanical gauge or an electronic one.
Once you get that figured out you have options.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
79bonanza

ok so all this speed sensor deal, if your trans doesnt need to see a signal from the computer its fine to run without a speed sensor. but im just thinking here but wouldnt the engine need to see what gear or what the truck is doing to adjust for running conditions like droping in overdrive and just cruising or is the motor just goin to run fine without it. idk im just thinking out loud
Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #35
79bonanza

o and i got a question about a ls intake. im wanting to run a ls stlye intake on a lq4/9 when i get it in my truck just for alittle cool factor so i can run a corvette engine cover. can i get away with runnning a ls tune on a lq4 with a truck intake until i can buy a ls intake.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #36
Shon

Quote:
ok so all this speed sensor deal, if your trans doesnt need to see a signal from the computer its fine to run without a speed sensor. but im just thinking here but wouldnt the engine need to see what gear or what the truck is doing to adjust for running conditions like droping in overdrive and just cruising or is the motor just goin to run fine without it. idk im just thinking out loud
Motor doesnt care.
the tables are set up to know the amt of air coming in and from there it has preset timing and fueling.

Quote:
o and i got a question about a ls intake. im wanting to run a ls stlye intake on a lq4/9 when i get it in my truck just for alittle cool factor so i can run a corvette engine cover. can i get away with runnning a ls tune on a lq4 with a truck intake until i can buy a ls intake.
LS1/6/2/7 intake swap is more indepth than just putting it on there.
it would be best to do a search on performancetrucks.net than for me to type it all out....
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #37
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
ok so all this speed sensor deal, if your trans doesnt need to see a signal from the computer its fine to run without a speed sensor.
I don't claim to know a tenth as much as other people on here when it comes to automotive computer programing, but I can regurgitate what I have read elsewhere. Some people claim that the engine needs a VSS to avoid stalling during coasting....here are some links.

post #5

post #17

VSS section towards the bottom of the page

Not trying to offend anyone, just trying to help...

Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #38
Shon

not a problem....and this can be debated but I know how we have done alot of them and one area that demands throttle response is in the off road jeeping...I have several on trails with NO VSS and they use 4spd FORD Manual trans to TH350 or TH400s and all enjoy the tune.

This one had 'old man truck cam' with Th400

and this one has Ford M4 behind it

Post #5 & #17 referenced above: that is solved with the right IAC positions.

LT1swap quote:" VSS - The PCM needs to know if vehicle is moving. Without the speed sensor, you can suffer from reduced fuel economy, reduced power, and idle problems. There are a few options for speed sensors on the transmissions with cable drive output. "
Not sure how this will cause reduced economy or power, there is NO table that references transmission tables. and again, idle problems are solved with correct IAC and idle RPM.

and I do not have to idle them up to 1k, most are less than 800 RPMS...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #39
79bonanza

hey shon i got a wiring question for you. i have a 1979 k10 bonanza that im putting a lq4 in and i dont really want to put the whole fuse box and stuff the trucks with the 6.0 have. i just want the simplest wiring under the hood in case of some electrical problems or trail stuff im sure you know what i mean. i have seen guys that are running just like 6 fuses and a relay and they dont use the whole fuse block. can you give me a little info or insight on what they are wiring. i dont fear doing the wiring on my own so thats not a issue. i just dont know what wires and stuff it is.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #40
Shon

honestly, the easiest and simplest is to use the whole box the truck uses. that way if it dies you can get another one quickly, example brother lives here in SC, tows toys out to MOAB, jeep wont start, finds out its the relay/fuse panel, has one overnighted from buddies in junk yard here in SC, he is back on the trail!!! (the pictures above are from MOAB, his is the first one posted)

I use Current Performance DIY Fuse/relay, its alot more wiring than the stock stuff but its less 'stuff', keep in mind, this is not a show truck

Last edited by Shon; 11-22-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #41
79bonanza

ok so the blck boxes on the core support are your fuse/ relay boxes for the ls swap. is there any thing on the fuse boxes that can be deleted so i can just maintain the stuff needed to just run the engine. i want to keep my stock under hood harness just because i know all that stuff and its in good condition and it works already.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #42
Shon

Quote:
ok so the blck boxes on the core support are your fuse/ relay boxes for the ls swap. is there any thing on the fuse boxes that can be deleted so i can just maintain the stuff needed to just run the engine. i want to keep my stock under hood harness just because i know all that stuff and its in good condition and it works already.
in my pic above the is the DIY set up from Current Performance. everything in that set up is needed, except for the AC if you are not running that and maybe Fan relays....
The big black box on the original truck needs maybe 6 wires hooked up to run.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #43
79bonanza

so for like simplicity would you say the one from current performance or the stock one or a diffrent fuse block would be easier to wire up. and yea i do plan on running a/c on my truck lol. do you know off the top of your head how much the fuse box/relays from current performace are. thanks man your a big help on this
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #44
Shon

I like the DIY kit $100ish shipped.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #45
74project

im almost done with my 79 5.3l swap. let me know if ya have any ?'s.
74project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #46
Puglia10

Good info in here, subscribed.
-74 project, post up some pics! I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions once I get to the lq4 part of my build.
Heres one for you, Shon, or anyone though...
Is a cable X required or an autometer speedo etc? (running a 2004 4l80e) I bought a factory electronic speedo from an 89-91 Suburban because someone told me that will be fine. True or no?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #47
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puglia10 View Post
Heres one for you, Shon, or anyone though...
Is a cable X required or an autometer speedo etc? (running a 2004 4l80e) I bought a factory electronic speedo from an 89-91 Suburban because someone told me that will be fine. True or no?
I run the cable X box b/c I wanted to run the stock gauge.
I dont see why a factory speedo would not work but it might take some work in the PCM to get the signal output correctly, dont know enough about those speedos......I would just take the VSS out of the PCM to run to the speedo.