The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #51
Big Daddy Bear

Re: Something to tinker with...

The previously mentioned 1973 K20 pick-up. The cab has way too much rust through to really do anything with, so will set it off to side while I decide what to do with it.

Going to keep a few parts for future use, but going to wait for summer weather as it will have to live outside as my shop is full.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #52
Big Daddy Bear

Oh yeah, and the reason my shop is full, is because this came home with me as well...
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #53
diveplane

wow nice
diveplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #54
LT7A

Sorry about your friend. Good of you to help. I like the '73 and the '57 looks good.

And with your steering wheel: those are bottle openers then?
Attached Images

LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #55
Big Daddy Bear

Bottle openers....that is outside the box thinking at its finest!!

The 57 is in extremely good condition, very small rust through in just a couple places I have found so far. The trunk floor is flawless, so I am hoping the floorpans are the same!

The 73 has some severe rust through I noticed in the A-piller and the canopy is just waiting to go to the dump.

The motor I can get to run till the carb empties, the filter fills but has a severe leak, but the rest of the running gear is sound. It has been parked for 4 years or more, so there is alot needing done just because of that.

This summer I will pull the motor (it may end up in the 57 after some freshening up), I will be keeping the winch and then likely part the rest of it out. But it is so far down the to-do list that anything done to it is literally months away...

Last edited by Big Daddy Bear; 02-18-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Big Daddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #56
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Bear View Post
Bottle openers....that is outside the box thinking at its finest!!

The 57 is in extremely good condition, very small rust through in just a couple places I have found so far. The trunk floor is flawless, so I am hoping the floorpans are the same!

The 73 has some severe rust through I noticed in the A-piller and the canopy is just waiting to go to the dump.

The motor I can get to run till the carb empties, the filter fills but has a severe leak, but the rest of the running gear is sound. It has been parked for 4 years or more, so there is alot needing done just because of that.

This summer I will pull the motor (it may end up in the 57 after some freshening up), I will be keeping the winch and then likely part the rest of it out. But it is so far down the to-do list that anything done to it is literally months away...
Check the hose coming from the hard line on the frame that connects to the fuel pump. The one on my 78 K20 got soft and the gentle bend it had from the factory turned into a kink that caused it to starve the carb of fuel when the engine compartment warmed up. Your fuel pump hose could just be soft with age and doing the same thing all the time. Hard to see with all the grime that is usually all over the area.

Great project too by the way. I did something similar for the same reason. 2wd RCSB trucks are just too rare up here and the ones that are around are too expensive to justify buying as a starting point for a full on truck build.

I started with a bare cab shell with nothing but the rear glass in it and sourced everything else with the options I wanted in the finished truck. Mine is on the road now but still needs painted and is using the high mileage TBI 454 & T-400 from a couple donor trucks still. It sure feels good to drive it though after putting so much work into building it from nothing. Can't wait to get it torn down & painted and to rebuild the engine & trans so it's got shiny paint that is all one color and it runs & moves as good as it stops & handles.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #57
Big Daddy Bear

After several unsuccessful attempts to move them on to another hobbyist, needed to clear up space so I decided to knock them in the head and send on down the road.

Can now focus on my 57 Belair and I will hang on to the 73 square body for maybe something great in the future...

Thanks to all who offered tips and suggestions and encouragement along the way, this is a top notch forum!!
Attached Images