The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #301
cornerstone

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Nice work! I'm excited to see your results!!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #302
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
I enjoyed the video. Very informative
thanks, glad you liked it, here are some links to the gentleman who did it first (using this particular transmission) on the DIY Electric Car forum, sorry I only know him by his forum handle "bigmouse" but I like to give credit where it's due.

So here is a link to his 2001 BMW 330ci build thread all the way back from February of 2015: BMW 330ci conversion

along with a link to his mauswerkz YouTube channel with some clever reverse engineering videos

Unfortunately he ended up selling the car: At $8,000, Would You Be Shocked By This 2001 BMW 330ci Electric Conversion? and word on the street is he works for Tesla now!
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #303
layinrocker65

Are you planning on putting the “motor” in the stock truck tranny location? It looks pretty large. Would be cool to switch the truck to IRS and put the “motor” right in front of the rear end.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #304
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

This is the coolest thread....

But for the Engine Bay, no to the Frunk or an inert SBC - you need one of these in the middle that lights up / works.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #305
notsolo

Smile Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Serial sycronis communication cable to Flux capacitor. Greg you got this, very cool build, glad you understand it. Looking forward to the next episode of Mr wizards garage.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #306
Boog
laying low

There will be a platform of batteries to power this truck right? How large and where will those be mounted? I would imagine in or under the bed?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #307
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Are you planning on putting the “motor” in the stock truck tranny location? It looks pretty large.
that's the plan, and fingers crossed, the trans tunnel is removable so maybe it may work

Quote:
Would be cool to switch the truck to IRS and put the “motor” right in front of the rear end.
that's a rad idea maybe with a stubby drive shaft, wonder if the trailing arms would get in the way though
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #308
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
This is the coolest thread....

But for the Engine Bay, no to the Frunk or an inert SBC - you need one of these in the middle that lights up / works.
[that's hilarious] well, obviously
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #309
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
There will be a platform of batteries to power this truck right? How large and where will those be mounted? I would imagine in or under the bed?
I go to bed every night wondering about that, I purchased a pack to get me started, aka a starter pack ha ha, it has an odd shape and small capacity (only 26 Ah, think fuel tank size) but full voltage (360 volts)

this came out of a hybrid BMW 503e and I imagine it bolted up from underneath right below the rear seat, hence the odd shape, see how there's an opening for the exhaust right down the middle

so I am thinking just toss it in the bed right behind the cab and call it Good Enuff or maybe put it inside a toolbox there you know one of them construction tool boxes that run across the bed width

or it will go right behind the radiator core support across that way so it's in the engine compartment, ahem sorry motor compartment, ha ha

or.... it can be reconfigured, ie we can change it's shape, think Lego bricks, cause inside of it it's just the equivalent of 6 car batteries (see last pic below) I am currently trying to grow some balls to tear it apart, maybe next month

here is a link to my friend Artur's YouTube channel, he used the exact same transmission in his Jaguar conversion with the exact same batteries, in this video he show's us how to build a custom battery tray Jaguar XJR EV Conversion - Battery Box Build - Part 1
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 11-27-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #310
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Serial sycronis communication cable to Flux capacitor.
Correct, perhaps with one or two doodads in between and a thingmajig

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Greg you got this, very cool build, glad you understand it. Looking forward to the next episode of Mr wizards garage.
Mr. Wizard ha ha I think I like that more better than "Joe Good Enuff" that my wife calls me when I enthusiastically take on all her projects
Old 11-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #311
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Keep your eye's peeled for one of these BMW X5 battery packs, it's the same guts as the one I already have but in a much nicer box, I am thinking mount this sucker right behind the rear differential and in front of the rear bumper, you know where guys drop Mustang or Blazer fuel tanks sometimes.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #312
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue GMC View Post
Now how are you going to run your accessories. At min you need lights but I figure you will want ps pb wipers and a radio?
love it when you guys pay attention, so...

2018 HONDA CRV POWER BRAKE BOOSTER WITH MODULE 46000-TLA-A051-M1 OEM 17 18 19
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 11-27-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #313
BigBird05

How about under the seat in the pick up?
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #314
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
How about under the seat in the pick up?
Is we still talking about them batteries? If so we have a ton of space in the engine bay where the [ahem] enjin useta sit, ha ha, but we'll figure it out, keep the ideas commin'
Old 11-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #315
Gregski
Post Whore

so here's a mechanical video, where I actually turn a wrench, spin a spanner, and swing a hammer, (no electricity or wire harness talk I promise)

Lock Input Shaft - Lexus GS450h
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #316
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Are you planning on putting the “motor” in the stock truck tranny location? It looks pretty large. Would be cool to switch the truck to IRS and put the “motor” right in front of the rear end.
So you had me a bit concerned so I went out and found some TH350 specs (which is what is in the truck now) and measured the Lexus GS450h transmission for a stare and compare

the Lexus gear box actually has a smaller bell housing

this is the best I can do for now as my truck is at my mamas house in her garage and not in mine
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #317
Gregski
Post Whore

mesmerizing video on making things spin

Lexus GS450h - MG1 Spinning
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2021, 03:12 AM   #318
Low Elco

Man, props to you for puttin' out all the info. I wound up reading both threads. This is fascinating. Not fascinating enough for me to leave the LS world, but really neat all the same. I will be watching closely! I don't hate the electrics, but If I can't jump in, gas up at the QT, and run 85-90 all the way to Dallas ripping burnouts at every intersection, I can't cosign on that deal. Please, though, continue, I gotta see this!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:43 AM   #319
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Man, props to you for puttin' out all the info. I wound up reading both threads. This is fascinating. Not fascinating enough for me to leave the LS world, but really neat all the same. I will be watching closely! I don't hate the electrics, but If I can't jump in, gas up at the QT, and run 85-90 all the way to Dallas ripping burnouts at every intersection, I can't cosign on that deal. Please, though, continue, I gotta see this!
Hey man (I assume), thanks for that and I went Carb => LS => Electric myself, so I totally feel you

One thing I want to address is something that you said, because this is a standard anti electric car argument: long distance trips

I assume you live in Independence Missouri (correct me if I'm wrong) and you are talking about the 8 1/2 hour drive to Dallas, Texas (again I am guessing I had to Google Map it, ha ha)

so I gotta ask how often do you do that drive? not being rude, I just speak from experience, it's exactly like my drive from Sacramento, California to Los Angeles

and folks assume that when you go electric you just automatically sell all your other vehicles (or THEY [Men in Black] come and take them all away, ha ha) or you must do everything in your electric car, I don't know why that is hence this rant

I know when we had our '97 Tahoe a perfectly good SUV in working order, any time I ran to LA I would borrow my moms Honda Civic, sometimes cause I knew it got better gas mileage, other times cause she was retired and never drove it, so she begged me to stretch it's legs a little bit from time to time

the point is, you can have other cars and use them accordingly, you wouldn't take a Miata to go get dirt, rocks, or bark for your landscaping

and how often do you go to Dallas, be honest, you don't have to post it here I am just sayin' cause we went down to LA like once every 3 years, we could have flown there, we could have used a rental car, etc

and the other point is that it used to be that most "Americans" only drove 40 miles a day, now it's down to only 25 miles per day, so there's that

anyway not trying to argue I am just making an effort to share what I have observed over the last decade or so, people's behaviors views of electric vehicles are changing but it will take time
Old 12-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #320
BigBird05

I like your rebuttal until you referred to useing or other cars. Your government want to out law gas engines in car by 2035.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #321
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
I like your rebuttal until you referred to useing or other cars. Your government want to out law gas engines in car by 2035.
yeah well the US Government has a credible history of blowing smoke

"On June 25, 2003, the United States and the European Union agreed to collaborate on the acceleration of the development of the hydrogen economy.

Both President Bush and European Commission President Prodi have made the development of a hydrogen economy a major priority.

President Bush's Hydrogen Fuel Initiative, announced on January 28, 2003, envisions the transformation of the nation's transportation fleet from a near-total reliance on petroleum to steadily increasing use of clean-burning hydrogen."
Old 12-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #322
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

that and our switch to metric .... you'll see we are still using MPH signs, get our gas by the gallons and track our distance by miles! Old stuff has a habit of not dying in the USA!

Don't even get me started on broadcast timecode for NTSC Drop Frame, that was done to keep Black & White TVs operational as Color was coming in - then NTSC Drop Frame timecode was kept for HD content. My God, we can't just move on with anything LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #323
BigBird05

Keeping in mind that 2003 date that you mentioned, When was the last time our Government purchased an electric car or truck? I can't think of it ever happening.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #324
layinrocker65

I’m 100% in support of going electric even with the low range. It’s a cool fun project and you have other vehicles to drive. My COE is a burden to drive on the freeway but I LOVE driving it around town. I’d rather smile every day for 20 minutes than once a year for 4hours.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #325
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Keeping in mind that 2003 date that you mentioned, When was the last time our Government purchased an electric car or truck? I can't think of it ever happening.
Fun Fact: "On August 22, 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt rode through the streets of Hartford in an electric automobile. Automobile production was in its early stages of development at the turn of the twentieth century and about half of America’s vehicles were electric." read that last part again, wow!!!

Roosevelt Rides in an Electric Car – Today in History: August 22

not sure they bought it for him but you get the idea, howerver William Taft (president from 1909-1913) was the first president to own and drive cars during his presidency. One of the most interesting cars he owned was, ironically enough, “green” — a Baker Electric.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 12-02-2021 at 02:51 PM.