The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
CPLSHUPE

68 chevy c10. newbie technical question?

So First and foremost... I have the 327 in my truck with 3 on the tree. I was hoping to switch to an auto or 5 speed on the floor. Who has done either of these and which do you prefer/regret? Also which transmission would be a good fit to the conversion you recommend?

also. Who has cut the dash for a cd player and do you regret it?

-Tanner
CPLSHUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
CPLSHUPE

Re: 68 chevy c10. newbie technical question?

Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  61.3 KB

Heres my baby. Had it for 6 months. Done quite a bit to it.. in my eyes for a 26 yr old marine vet with no previous history in classic cars/trucks. haha
Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
JPsChevy

Use the search function for your 5spd questions you will find plenty of information to keep you reading for days.

If your set on a cd player and not a digitial replacement that fits the dash hole. Build yourself a cd player case/box to set under dash, outfit it with some extra speakers etc, this way you can enjoy it but do not alter something you may regret down the road.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Jonlopes

Oh Man, I really really wish the PO never cut the dash in my rig to fit a modern radio. I would get a radio that will fit in your stock dash and put the cd changer under the seat.

The 5 speed makes the truck much more drive-able if you go any distance but one thing to consider. How many punk car thieves out there have any clue about the 3 on the tree transmission? Better than an alarm!

VERY nice looking truck!!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
CPLSHUPE

The search button isn't working for me for some reason. I click on the google button and nothing happens. been trying for a couple days.

I have the cd player in my glove box. just a pain.

and the 3 on the tree just isn't getting me above 65 mph. driving me nuts. I would like to be able to go the speed limit without my truck shaking and rpms screaming
Old 09-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
hamjet

To use the search go to the top of this page where it says google, type in what you're looking for, click the botton that says 67-72 chevy trucks.com and hit google. as far as 3 speed, 5 speed, as long as they have a 1:1 final drive its going to be the same. you can go to an automatic w/overdrive like a 2004-r or the beefier 700r-4, the 2004-r tranny is the same length as the 3 manual so same the drive shaft can be used. the x-member will have to be changed, cooling lines to the rad., TV cable and bracket to the carb, floor shifter, unless you get an auto column. google above and there are alot of info on swaps...
Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
daveklein

The other way would be to a lower ratio rear gear and then the 4 or 5 speed trans...The trans would give you good power with the closer together ratios and the rear ratio would give more top end.......If it has a 4:11 now you could go to a 3:73 in the rear....Dave
daveklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
biketopia

5 speed will have an overdrive gear, lower then 1:1 which will help you out a lot with cruise RPM

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Keith Seymore

Slightly off base of your original question, but: your three speed is likely a Saginaw 3 speed.

A Saginaw four speed would bolt right in (same external case dimensions and tailshaft length). Add a Hurst floor shifter and you would be all done with shifting on the column.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
How many punk car thieves out there have any clue about the 3 on the tree transmission? Better than an alarm!
Seriously! I have a friend in Chicago that has owned a '72 GTO since new. He purposely ordered it with the 3 speed (on the floor) because he liked that trans in his '67.

It was stolen shortly after he got it (and recovered). Witnesses said you could hear the thieves grinding the gears as they speed away - probably because they didn't know it was a three speed or didn't know how to drive one.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
daveklein

Hey Biketopia....I guess I didn't remember that about a 5-speed....That would make them an ideal swap......Are any a bolt in that you know of ?? Dave
daveklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 68 chevy c10. newbie technical question?

For the transmission do a search I'm sure there are plenty. For the dash you can go here and see what ever you need. Check the links out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...sprune=-1&f=24

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...prune=-1&f=111

Real men cut the dash and make the ride that much more pleasurable!

I for the life of me don't know what started all this about cutting the dash other than someone long ago did a hack job on one. That being said that doesn't make cutting the dash a bad thing. Just do it right and all is good.
You lower a truck you change the seats you change the motor out and you personalize it to make you happy. Cutting the dash is no different than any other mod you do to your truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveklein View Post
Hey Biketopia....I guess I didn't remember that about a 5-speed....That would make them an ideal swap......Are any a bolt in that you know of ?? Dave
Anything that you can bolt to a chevy bell housing would work. Depends on how OE or fancy you want to go. Can put in a period correct 4 speed with all the linkage for the clutch or you could put in a 5 or 6 speed and get a hydraulic throw out bearing and hook up a master on your 3rd pedal and be rolling on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
[B][COLOR="Red"]

Real men cut the dash and make the ride that much more pleasurable!

I for the life of me don't know what started all this about cutting the dash other than someone long ago did a hack job on one. That being said that doesn't make cutting the dash a bad thing. Just do it right and all is good.
You lower a truck you change the seats you change the motor out and you personalize it to make you happy. Cutting the dash is no different than any other mod you do to your truck.

Seriously, thank you! I've seen that all over this board since I joined people get all bent out of shape when you cut a dash, its your truck do what you want, it's only metal it can be fixed by the next guy if he wants it. I cut my dash 13 years ago and put a cd player in it, second best mod I did to that truck besides convert to electronic ignition. Well until it gets a porterbuilt suspension and an LS, but I'm sure that's going to ruffle peoples feathers too.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is online now   Reply With Quote