The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
SS Tim

Re: Original Bucket seats installation????

This is a great thread and I wanted to add these two illustrations as further points of reference.

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
leddzepp

Great thread! To add to Tim's illustrations above, here are two more showing the attachment of the factory shoulder belt retainers that mount to the front of the console, if your truck came optioned with both bucket seats and shoulder belts.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
29od1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
RogerKoop Should still have some left.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=557195
Koops rear outer driver's side bracket won't fit if you drill the driver side 3/4" over from the front outer most hole. It was off by about 1/2" from where my bucket seat tracks holes needed to be drilled. It needs to be in the 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" over if measuring center to center.

Can someone with buckets in a truck please measure center to center the distance shown in this picture. Or maybe Koop can answer how far he moved his over.

Thank you.
29od1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #29
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29od1 View Post
Koops rear outer driver's side bracket won't fit if you drill the driver side 3/4" over from the front outer most hole. It was off by about 1/2" from where my bucket seat tracks holes needed to be drilled. It needs to be in the 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" over if measuring center to center.

Can someone with buckets in a truck please measure center to center the distance shown in this picture. Or maybe Koop can answer how far he moved his over.

Thank you.
I hope this picture didn't steer you wrong. I used 3/4" because it made my driver seat position match the passenger side. I didn't want a bigger gap between the console on one side or the other.
Please post the information you come up with here. thanks
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
mcbassin
Still Learning

Adding to this thread
These pics were in that older thread linked on page 1

Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
mcbassin
Still Learning

If anyone that has an original bucket truck can measure the diameter of the screw head with the blue arrows, we can then scale the center to center hole spacing as GM did them.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #32
RogerKoop

I took some pics of my 1972 C30 which has 44,000 miles on it which has factory bucket seats in it. Like this truck and all the trucks that we have seen bucket seats in, none of them used the bolt in the support that runs underneath the floor.

The front bucket mounting just used a square nut welded to the floor. No additional floor support brackets was used except for what was used for the bench seat. I will take some photos of the front mounting and add them later

As for the offset on the drives side front holes I found it to be 1 1/4" to the left. See photo.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
29od1

Thanks for the response Roger. So it looks like 1-1/4" over is where it really should be. I agree that your bracket would fit with no mods if you drill the drivers side outer front bolt hole at 1-1/4" over from the existing bench seat bolt (that's measured center to center).

I used a short drill bit and put a bolt through the z-shaped cab support. Maybe it's not exactly factory, but since the nut's there I thought I'd use it.

It would be nice to have a second reference point if anyone else with an original bucket seat truck could measure like Roger did above.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #34
29od1

Well I think this should finally put the question to rest as to where the drivers side outer front hole should be located. I found an original bucket seat truck with original paint under the seat to measure from. As you can see in the pic, this confirms Roger's measurement of 1-1/4" center to center distance from the original bench seat hole. As a side note, I think it's actually 1-3/16", but if you're within 1/16" of an inch, I would guess you would be inside of the factory specs.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
29od1

Just to add a bit more, the truck I looked at had the bolt through the fore/aft floor z-shaped section as you can see in pic 3.

The other pics are of the front mounting nuts from under the truck. Pic 1 is of the inner front drivers side. Pic 2 is of the inner front passenger side. If you don't have the formed z-section reinforcement that runs from side to side (which only comes installed on factory bucket trucks and Blazers), you'll need to fab something up like mcbassin did in his install.

The last pic is of the original mounting bolts and a vintage koozie that was under the seat.

I hope this helps everyone out and the major parts of this thread would be great to put in the FAQ section. Thanks to mcbassin for starting it and everyone who contributed!

Last edited by 29od1; 02-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #36
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerKoop View Post
I took some pics of my 1972 C30 which has 44,000 miles on it which has factory bucket seats in it. Like this truck and all the trucks that we have seen bucket seats in, none of them used the bolt in the support that runs underneath the floor.

The front bucket mounting just used a square nut welded to the floor. No additional floor support brackets was used except for what was used for the bench seat. I will take some photos of the front mounting and add them later

As for the offset on the drives side front holes I found it to be 1 1/4" to the left. See photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29od1 View Post
Just to add a bit more, the truck I looked at had the bolt through the fore/aft floor z-shaped section as you can see in pic one.

The other pics are of the front mounting nuts from under the truck. Pic 2 is of the inner front drivers side. Pic 3 is of the inner front passenger side. If you don't have the formed z-section reinforcement that runs from side to side (which only comes installed on factory bucket trucks and Blazers), you'll need to fab something up like mcbassin did in his install.

The last pic is of the original mounting bolts and a vintage koozie that was under the seat.

I hope this helps everyone out and the major parts of this thread would be great to put in the FAQ section. Thanks to mcbassin for starting it and everyone who contributed!
Thanks guys for taking these measurments. I wish I had them last year when I drilled my cab. However, me being impatient I made my Driver side gap between the console match my passenger side. I don't know GM made it the way they did? But mine is 1/2" closer so if you're wanting to make it like the Original bucket cab then 1-3/16" to 1-1/4" it is. Thanks again
Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #37

My truck is a 1970 originally equipped w/factory buckets so it already has the holes in the right places. The bad news: factory buckets are long gone. The good news: I have a set of Blazer Sport buckets. Will the Blazer buckets bolt-in directly or will modifications need to be done? Thanks.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #38
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
My truck is a 1970 originally equipped w/factory buckets so it already has the holes in the right places. The bad news: factory buckets are long gone. The good news: I have a set of Blazer Sport buckets. Will the Blazer buckets bolt-in directly or will modifications need to be done? Thanks.
IT"S been almost a year...Did the blazer seats fit? or did you use some other
seat..if so what?
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #39
Chevy Fan Always

bump
Chevy Fan Always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #40
Kleen72

Great info fellas will need this soon. (Subscribed)
Kleen72 is offline   Reply With Quote