The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 AM   #1
1968_K20_4x4

New Qjet carb - Starts, then dies

Hello Everyone!

I purchased a rebuilt (Autoline from Napa) Quadrajetet carb for my 1972 Chevy K20. I installed it with an aftermarket electric choke kit from Quadrajetparts.com, however the truck does not start like it should. I gently press the pedal to the floor once to set the choke, it will fire up, run for 2 seconds, then die. I wait a few seconds, press the pedal to the floor again and re-start. The truck will then start and run fine.

I have tried a few tricks- half a pump then crank to start, two pumps then crank to start, adjusted the choke rich/lean, adjust idle set screw, hot or very cold day - the truck starts the same way every time. No matter what I do the truck starts then dies after a couple seconds.

The choke pull-off appears to be working properly as it pulls the choke blade open slightly right away.

When its warmed up the truck always starts right away and runs fine with no issues, although it does seem very easy to flood when warm and once flooded will not start even if you hold the pedal to the floor.

I am wondering if it is a fuel delivery problem... I am running a lower pressure fuel pump (4-6psi) with an inline fuel filter as well as the stock filter inside the carb... Maybe not enough fuel on start up???

I have not adjusted the Choke Pull-off or the high-idle.

I am new to carb adjustment/tuning so any insights as to what is going on here or ideas of what to check/adjust next would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a couple crappy pics - I can take better ones of the carb set up later but for now this is all I have (BTW my motor is a marine 307 if youre wondering..lol)
Attached Images

Ohh uh, I didn't have time to fix everything...

Last edited by 1968_K20_4x4; 01-21-2022 at 01:12 AM.
1968_K20_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:32 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: New Qjet carb - Starts, then dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968_K20_4x4 View Post
Hello Everyone!

The choke pull-off appears to be working properly as it pulls the choke blade open slightly right away.

I have not adjusted the Choke Pull-off or the high-idle.
"Slightly open" is not a proper adjustment. If you live in a cold climate, The cold engine choke and fast idle settings need to be "tighter" than what's needed in warmer climates.

Adjust the choke pull to open the choke about 1/8" to 3/16".. Do this with the engine cold, not running. Choke closed and using a hand-held vacuum pump, pull the choke open. Bend the linkage to achieve this setting.. Screw in the fast idle adjustment screw a few turns. Bump the throttle to set the fast idle screw on the top "notch" of the fast idle cam. Start the engine and immediately set the fast idle RPM around 1200 - 1300 Rpm.

During my days as a driveability tech, during initial start-up, I've had to set the fast idle at 1800-1900 RPM to keep an exceedingly "cold natured" engine running in the dead of winter.. After running at that speed for 15 - 20 seconds, a light tap on the throttle will bring the fast idle cam down a notch or 2 and the still cold engine will run about 850-1000 RPM and do just fine. Such drastic and aggressive settings aren't required in our most southern states.

All this assumes you have already set the proper ignition timing.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Caddylackn

You are not going to want to hear this: but putting on a rebuilt generic quadrajet from a parts house is not a good idea. Each quadrajet was jetted and tuned and air jets calibrated at the factree for the particular motor it was installed on. These carbs are very vacuum sensitive for tuning. These large carb rebuild facilities take a bunch of quadrajets from all different size and year's motors, remove all the specific components, and give them two simple jetted tunes (small block, or big block). It will either run well or it won't and if it doesn't it will be a total bear to get it tuned correctly for your specific motor. What I recommend at this point is to send it back and try another one out. You might get lucky.

What you want is to rebuild your stock quadrajet carb with quality components, since it already has the primary and secondary jets, orifices, hangers, etc. that your specific motor needs.

In your case, I think it maybe a vacuum leak, that is what it sounds like to me. I would check all surfaces when its running by spraying some carb cleaner, or WD40 around the mating surfaces and see if the idle raises. A vacuum leak becomes much more apparent when the motor is cold and needs the extra fuel richness.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #4
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Mine was missing a pipe plug in a vaccum port in the rear by the base gasket
Old 01-21-2022, 04:11 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Re: New Qjet carb - Starts, then dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post

Adjust the choke pull to open the choke about 1/8" to 3/16".. Do this with the engine cold, not running. Choke closed and using a hand-held vacuum pump, pull the choke open. Bend the linkage to achieve this setting.. Screw in the fast idle adjustment screw a few turns. Bump the throttle to set the fast idle screw on the top "notch" of the fast idle cam. Start the engine and immediately set the fast idle RPM around 1200 - 1300 Rpm.

I am not sure I have seen this adjustment described this way (or I just didn't understand it). It just happens to be GREAT weather to test this and set things right.

To make sure I have this right, with Engine Cold / Don't Start it:
1. Insure Choke Plate is closed (top of Carb) - Completely at this point?
2. Remove Vacuum line between Choke Pull and Carb (the PITA little one - front/passenger side that looks like it is shaped like an elbow pasta).
3. Hook up your vacuum pump to fully engage vacuum Choke Pull.
4. Insure choke plate is 1/8" ~ 3/16" opened by bending the linkage on the Choke Pull?

I am okay on how to adjust the Fast Idle levels/stages and have adjusted them by forcing the low/high fast idle stages while running.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
RustyPile

Thumbs up Re: New Qjet carb - Starts, then dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I am not sure I have seen this adjustment described this way (or I just didn't understand it). It just happens to be GREAT weather to test this and set things right.

To make sure I have this right, with Engine Cold / Don't Start it:
1. Insure Choke Plate is closed (top of Carb) - Completely at this point?
2. Remove Vacuum line between Choke Pull and Carb (the PITA little one - front/passenger side that looks like it is shaped like an elbow pasta).
3. Hook up your vacuum pump to fully engage vacuum Choke Pull.
4. Insure choke plate is 1/8" ~ 3/16" opened by bending the linkage on the Choke Pull?

I am okay on how to adjust the Fast Idle levels/stages and have adjusted them by forcing the low/high fast idle stages while running.
You got it right!! You won't find these exact settings "in the book".. But it's not unorthodox either.. I don't want to come across as bragging but I worked as a driveability mechanic back in the '80s - '90s.. I had some real Lulus thrown at me.. I'm not a proponent of throwing away the instruction book, but as I stated: extreme cases call for extreme procedures.

If these carburetors weren't meant to be adjustable, there wouldn't be so many adjustable features on them.. Check your timing and all the other basics -- fuel pump condition, quality of gas, thermic operation, heat riser, etc. All these things aid, or at least take part in the warm-up process. If that doesn't cure the problem, THEN start looking "outside the box".. In climates like Arizona has, that 1/8" - 3/16" is way to "tight".. A quarter inch works much better. and also a looser choke bi-metal setting will allow a faster choke opening.. It's all climate related. The settings are different, but the procedure is the same.

I've rebuilt and replaced so many Q-jets, I've lost count. That cold start choke "tune-up" is a procedure I developed a long time ago.. It's geared more toward climatic conditions than any "generic" instruction sheet procedure.

My old C/10 doesn't have anything (fuel delivery system) on it now that came from the factory. It has a warmed over 454 with a Holly 3310-3 sitting on top. Sometimes it sits for weeks without being started.. Without going into a long detailed description of what I did to make all the parts play well together, the engine busts off every time without fail.. No "re-starts, stumbling, nothing.. Now East Texas doesn't have anywhere the climatic conditions like Canada.. We have sub-freezing winters, only a few days at a time.. Blazing 3 digit summers for weeks at a time.. Through all that, that old BBC just chugs right along.. It took a little work on my part, but it does work now.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
"Slightly open" is not a proper adjustment. If you live in a cold climate, The cold engine choke and fast idle settings need to be "tighter" than what's needed in warmer climates.

During my days as a driveability tech, during initial start-up, I've had to set the fast idle at 1800-1900 RPM to keep an exceedingly "cold natured" engine running in the dead of winter.. After running at that speed for 15 - 20 seconds, a light tap on the throttle will bring the fast idle cam down a notch or 2 and the still cold engine will run about 850-1000 RPM and do just fine. Such drastic and aggressive settings aren't required in our most southern states.

All this assumes you have already set the proper ignition timing.
To make this clearer.. The settings I suggested are for the OP's cold Canadian weather. I assume he is having these issues now with sub-freezing temperatures and several inches of snow on the ground. For other people, the procedure is the same, but settings may vary, depending on the individual engine and the climate/altitude where it's being operated.

These days, the engine management computer can make allowances and adjustments so problems never arise.. 50 - 60 years ago, traveling on long trips were a hassle because the carburetor calibration needed changes so much with climate change.. I remember one of these trips our family took in a '61 Chevy.. Our home was on the gulf coast of Texas near its border with Louisiana. We went to Pikes peak and through Colorado. Those mountains gave that car fits.. That Chevy belched black smoke and stumbled along until we got back down to sea level altitudes.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

"California and Denver" jetting. Back in the '70s, I worked at a parts store for awhile. We sold "replacement" carburetors. No matter who walked through the door, a replacement Q-Jet was the same, 250 to 455 Cu In Pontiac, whatever. Same deal for Motorcraft and Holley. I bought one of those Q-Jets to put on my 327, but it needed work to make it right.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #9
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
You are not going to want to hear this: but putting on a rebuilt generic quadrajet from a parts house is not a good idea...
Fact.
That carb ain't never gonna run right.
Ever.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm probably not.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:20 AM   #10
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
"California and Denver" jetting. Back in the '70s, I worked at a parts store for awhile. We sold "replacement" carburetors. No matter who walked through the door, a replacement Q-Jet was the same, 250 to 455 Cu In Pontiac, whatever. Same deal for Motorcraft and Holley. I bought one of those Q-Jets to put on my 327, but it needed work to make it right.
That's pretty much the way it was back in those days. As a driveability tech, it was my job to do that work. I'd do a replacement only if the original was beyond repair. Most of the time, I'd start the job by removing the jets and rods from the old carb and installing them in the new (remanufactured) one.. All other adjustments - secondary air valve, choke adjustments, idle mixture, etc was just based on my experience.

I started racing in 1969. I learned what makes a Q-Jet "tick" during my early racing days.. The class/combination I ran required a stock Q-Jet... It's amazing what can be done to those carburetors..
Old 01-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #11
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thumbs up Re: New Qjet carb - Starts, then dies

Quote:
You got it right!! You won't find these exact settings "in the book".. But it's not unorthodox either.. I don't want to come across as bragging but I worked as a driveability mechanic back in the '80s - '90s.. I had some real Lulus thrown at me.. I'm not a proponent of throwing away the instruction book, but as I stated: extreme cases call for extreme procedures.

If these carburetors weren't meant to be adjustable, there wouldn't be so many adjustable features on them.. Check your timing and all the other basics -- fuel pump condition, quality of gas, thermic operation, heat riser, etc. All these things aid, or at least take part in the warm-up process. If that doesn't cure the problem, THEN start looking "outside the box".. In climates like Arizona has, that 1/8" - 3/16" is way to "tight".. A quarter inch works much better. and also a looser choke bi-metal setting will allow a faster choke opening.. It's all climate related. The settings are different, but the procedure is the same.

I've rebuilt and replaced so many Q-jets, I've lost count. That cold start choke "tune-up" is a procedure I developed a long time ago.. It's geared more toward climatic conditions than any "generic" instruction sheet procedure.

My old C/10 doesn't have anything (fuel delivery system) on it now that came from the factory. It has a warmed over 454 with a Holly 3310-3 sitting on top. Sometimes it sits for weeks without being started.. Without going into a long detailed description of what I did to make all the parts play well together, the engine busts off every time without fail.. No "re-starts, stumbling, nothing.. Now East Texas doesn't have anywhere the climatic conditions like Canada.. We have sub-freezing winters, only a few days at a time.. Blazing 3 digit summers for weeks at a time.. Through all that, that old BBC just chugs right along.. It took a little work on my part, but it does work now.
Like to follow up, thank you for the tips on using a vacuum pump on the choke pull. This really helps to see what the choke plate is doing between choke off, then at fast idle stages with and with out the choke pull in action. I kept just trying to adjust the choke plate without taking in consideration of when the engine applied vacuum to the choke pull.

Now I have super happy starting, though it hasn't gotten below freezing again since I started the proper adjustments.

again, thank you RustyPile.

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 01-28-2022, 07:09 PM   #12
RustyPile

Quote:
Like to follow up, thank you for the tips on using a vacuum pump on the choke pull. This really helps to see what the choke plate is doing between choke off, then at fast idle stages with and with out the choke pull in action. I kept just trying to adjust the choke plate without taking in consideration of when the engine applied vacuum to the choke pull.

Now I have super happy starting, though it hasn't gotten below freezing again since I started the proper adjustments.

again, thank you RustyPile.
You're welcome, Richard.... Glad I could help.. The important thing is you learned a little bit of how the cold start enrichment system works on a Q-Jet.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:30 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

Lots of good information here. I just will add a link to what I did on my Burban's Qjet the photos may help.
Scroll to post 618.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...698377&page=25
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #14
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Nice below 20 degrees here this morning. She started right up at level three choke this morning and zero indication of wanting to die.

I then let her race up a few hundred RPMs, slightly tapped gas pedal and she easily went into level 2 choke. Then let her even out a little more on the RMPs for a bit, slightly tapped gas pedal and easily went into level 1 choke.

Finally after a little bit more time at level 1 she evened out more and one last slight tap of the gas pedal, no choke and smooth as silk idle!

Soooo .... I think I have her nailed down on the choke! So much fun getting this figured out and having positive results. I totally learned something and thankful!

Old 02-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #15
RustyPile

Quote:
Nice below 20 degrees here this morning. She started right up at level three choke this morning and zero indication of wanting to die.

I then let her race up a few hundred RPMs, slightly tapped gas pedal and she easily went into level 2 choke. Then let her even out a little more on the RMPs for a bit, slightly tapped gas pedal and easily went into level 1 choke.

Finally after a little bit more time at level 1 she evened out more and one last slight tap of the gas pedal, no choke and smooth as silk idle!

Soooo .... I think I have her nailed down on the choke! So much fun getting this figured out and having positive results. I totally learned something and thankful!
Doncha just love it when a plan comes together!!
Old 02-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #16
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Talking Re: New Qjet carb - Starts, then dies

Cue music.....
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #17
Fbks_Cruiser

Did I miss something? I didn’t see if the OP got his issue resolved.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:43 PM   #18
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
Did I miss something? I didn’t see if the OP got his issue resolved.
I don't think you missed anything.. The OP started this thread with the one post, then never came back. On this forum, lots of people ask questions and receive lots of help. Then they drift off and never do a follow up.. This appears to be one of those threads.

Thanks to Richard for giving us a report on his results.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #19
Fbks_Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks to Richard for giving us a report on his results.
I agree. Makes the thread way more useful.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #20
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I would say I might of upset the OP by highjacking his thread but he hasn't been on since posting his question.

Though I am happy I did, cause I learned something and he 100% helped!

Old 02-05-2022, 02:38 PM   #21
RustyPile

Quote:
I would say I might of upset the OP by highjacking his thread but he hasn't been on since posting his question.

Though I am happy I did, cause I learned something and he 100% helped!
Threads get highjacked all the time. It's a regular "thing" around here. Technically, I don't consider your first post to be a highjack post. You simply asked for clarification of my instructions. But, since this thread doesn't "belong" to me, my opinion doesn't count.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #22
leftybass209

This is fantastic information! I have the exact same problem on a 72 c10 I just picked up. Runs fantastic, fires up immediately without long starter cranking.... but alas, she dies when ambient temps are around 35 degrees.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
1968_K20_4x4

Hey Everyone...

I want to thank everyone for all the great replies and help with my issue here. It really is much appreciated. Sorry I did not follow up on this... I did go out and get a vacuum test pump and a timing light, however some other things in my life have came up and I simply have not had a chance to get out in the garage and get working on the truck at this time. It is an issue that I do need to resolve, however unfortunately I just can not get at it right now. I will take the time to properly go through all the advice posted here and try to get this sorted out when I can, Im just not sure when that will be. Again thanks so much for all the great replies. Once I do get a chance to get working on the truck again I will post an update on how I make out.

One post mentioned reusing all the parts from the original carb to the truck- unfortunately that was all long gone before I got the truck and the parts store carb is all I have to work with. Going to try my best to make it work with what I have

Ohh uh, I didn't have time to fix everything...
1968_K20_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #24
dz1087

Quote:
.....and also a looser choke bi-metal setting will allow a faster choke opening..
How do you loosen this thing up? Mine keeps going back in to high idle after I drop it down in to the lower idle setting while beginning my drive. Very annoying to have the thing keep dropping back in to high idle while driving for the first 10 minutes or so. Only does it when its 60 or less outside.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:35 PM   #25
Caddylackn

There really is two settings for the automatic choke. A winter setting and a summer setting. The predecessor to the quadrajet (4 jet) actually had these two different settings labeled on the automatic choke housing. Rotating the housing to the winter setting increased the rotating spring tension and gave it more choke for winter. In the summer this will leave the choke on too long, so set it back to summer setting.

If I was the OP, I would put a mark on the housing for the winter setting, and when its tuned for summer I would put another mark.