The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Qa1 Rear suspension and exhaust...

I know there are more than a few people here running the QA1 rear suspension set-up. Just curious as to what you guys are doing for an exhaust....I'm not quite sure how to get out the back with the exhaust with how bulky the panhard brace/bracket is on the driver side. It looks like it would make the exhaust/tailpipes hang real low to get under it (I also have a rear mounted tank).

If anyone has any insights or pictures, that would be super helpful.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Re: Qa1 Rear suspension and exhaust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I know there are more than a few people here running the QA1 rear suspension set-up. Just curious as to what you guys are doing for an exhaust....I'm not quite sure how to get out the back with the exhaust with how bulky the panhard brace/bracket is on the driver side. It looks like it would make the exhaust/tailpipes hang real low to get under it (I also have a rear mounted tank).

If anyone has any insights or pictures, that would be super helpful.
I have the same set up rear mount tank and QA1. My exhaust dumps just in front of the rear end. I liked it better when it went all the way out the back. I’m running shorty header on my LS and exhaust goes through the X member into the mufflers so everything is tucked up above the frame but all that suspension and tank kinda got in the way. My Muffler Guy has a few ideas but custom stuff cost $$, maybe after I recover from Christmas (10 grandkids) I can look into it more.
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Thealien

I have an LS3, 4L70, full QA1suspension on a 2 Wheel Drive 1972 Blazer. I also am not happy with the way the exhaust is on the driver side. I also do not have pictures of the driver side and my Blazer is over an hour away at the body shop. They make mufflers that have duel inlet into outlet for Camaros in similar cars. I may look into installing one of those as far forward as I can and then running the exhaust on the outside of the frame rail to the back. But I’m not 100% sure that it’s possible yet.

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I have an LS3, 4L70, full QA1suspension on a 2 Wheel Drive 1972 Blazer. I also am not happy with the way the exhaust is on the driver side. I also do not have pictures of the driver side and my Blazer is over an hour away at the body shop. They make mufflers that have duel inlet into outlet for Camaros in similar cars. I may look into installing one of those as far forward as I can and then running the exhaust on the outside of the frame rail to the back. But I’m not 100% sure that it’s possible yet.

Thanks for the pictures...that is about the only way I can figure out to run it unless you "ovaled" the pipe in a spot so that it fit between the gas tank and panhard brace mount on the driver side. It actually doesn't look as problematic as I thought it would in those pictures (but its also not on the ground).
Old 12-30-2021, 04:32 AM   #5
Accelo

That is one professional looking set up.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures...that is about the only way I can figure out to run it unless you "ovaled" the pipe in a spot so that it fit between the gas tank and panhard brace mount on the driver side. It actually doesn't look as problematic as I thought it would in those pictures (but its also not on the ground).
He did not have to oval the 2 1/2" pipe and the suspension is lower than the exhaust at its lowest point.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
Joyridin

This is not mine, but this is a pretty trick set-up if you are looking to go out the side.
Attached Images

Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
68Stepbed

Not QA1, but here's how my exhaust was done with my TCI suspension.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
He did not have to oval the 2 1/2" pipe and the suspension is lower than the exhaust at its lowest point.
Your original post implies you aren’t happy with how the exhaust is routed on the driver side. Any particular reason why? I can’t see any other way to run it but the way you provided-sure, it’s not symmetrical, but with the car on the ground and bumper on I wonder how much of it is truly visible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
Thealien

Quote:
Your original post implies you aren’t happy with how the exhaust is routed on the driver side. Any particular reason why? I can’t see any other way to run it but the way you provided-sure, it’s not symmetrical, but with the car on the ground and bumper on I wonder how much of it is truly visible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some people would say I’m very fussy. And in all seriousness it’s probably fine. But I haven’t driven it at all so I am not 100% sure there are no points of contact anywhere (end it really doesn’t look like there’s anywhere that it will make contact) . The bodywork should take until summer time. And then after that it goes back to my fabricator for some finishing touches. Then it will need a full alignment and the shakedown cruise but that won’t be happening for quite some time. With what he had to work with and knowing how fussy I am it’s actually a pretty good job. I strive for perfection unachievable as it may be. I’ve actually been taught perfection is the enemy of success.

Good luck with your exhaust. And being a blazer I had to bring it out the back as it could not be dumped in front of the axle or fumes would definitely get into the passenger compartment.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #11
AllGoNoShow

So for anyone asking this same question in the future-it does not appear that with QA1s pan hard bar design (which includes a 2nd bar that acts as a brace) allows for easy routing of the exhaust over the rearend. As Thealien did on the driver side (over rearend then under the pan hard bar), I did as well on both sides. Exhaust hangs lower then I would like in that spot, but sway bar is just as low and shocks are still lower.

I took off the shocks and jacked the rear end up to the bump stops to ensure everything cleared, and realized that even on the passenger side the exhaust needs to hang low and go over the rearend then under the pan hard bar. Thealien, just an FYI but if your running it your way on the passenger side (looks like between the panhard bar and panhard bar brace), and the panhard brace is on the top adjustment on that same side, it will start crushing the pipe (assuming it’s 2.5) when the suspension is fully collapsed on the bump stops. It won’t be a problem if it’s not adjusted to the lower/lowest settings. This is what I ended up with-
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2022, 12:22 PM   #12
Thealien

Quote:
So for anyone asking this same question in the future-it does not appear that with QA1s pan hard bar design (which includes a 2nd bar that acts as a brace) allows for easy routing of the exhaust over the rearend. As Thealien did on the driver side (over rearend then under the pan hard bar), I did as well on both sides. Exhaust hangs lower then I would like in that spot, but sway bar is just as low and shocks are still lower.

I took off the shocks and jacked the rear end up to the bump stops to ensure everything cleared, and realized that even on the passenger side the exhaust needs to hang low and go over the rearend then under the pan hard bar. Thealien, just an FYI but if your running it your way on the passenger side (looks like between the panhard bar and panhard bar brace), and the panhard brace is on the top adjustment on that same side, it will start crushing the pipe (assuming it’s 2.5) when the suspension is fully collapsed on the bump stops. It won’t be a problem if it’s not adjusted to the lower/lowest settings. This is what I ended up with-
I believe my bar is somewhere in the middle of that bracket. My fabricator knows how fussy I am and hates to redo things. It’ll probably be sometime this year mid to end summer before I get to start testing things out. My fabricator is actually getting out of the business. He promised me he will still help me with the finishing touches once it is out of bodywork and paint. I guess the cost of doing business in Massachusetts and the delay in getting parts and pain in the ass customers finally got to him. As fussy as I am he said he wished more customers were like me. I always had answers I almost always had the parts and when he asked for money it was there in 24 hours.

Thanks for the pictures and the update. Would love to see a few more angles if you get a chance. From underneath how it goes under the bars etc.