The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #1
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Building a 6.0

I currently have an LQ4 in my truck, but I'm thinking I will find another and do a bottom up build. At some point I would like to add an LSA supercharger to this build, but I want to make sure what is sitting under it is solid before spending those dollars.

I've been reading about components etc. Thought I would see what opinions I get here on what parts to use, tricks, tips etc.

I will stick with the 6.0 platform since I don't want to change out my harness, computer, etc. etc. I would like to hit 500hp (without the SC). Stock crank and LS3 heads seem to be the way to go. Intakes, throttle bodies, injectors, all make a difference, but the opinions on what to use vary greatly.

Appreciate the feedback.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Building a 6.0

Probably the first decsion you need to make is whether you want to run it on gas or E85. That will determine a lot what you do with the cam and bottom end. You can/will make a lot more HP with E85, but it uses a lot more fuel, so the injectors etc all have to be set-up for it.

I run a LSA supercharger on a LS3 on gas as the car has a small tank and with E85, I would be filling it up every 50 miles. I run 11:1 CR, but I wouldn't go that high on gasoline if I were to do it over. 10:1 seems about right. I have 850cc injectors and still have a lot left if I decide to go bigger. I have a Callies crank and rods and JE pistons with a Cam Motion custom cam basically ground similar to a BTR cam.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I would think I'm looking at good ole pump gas for this build.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #4
LS short box

A buddy of mine runs a 6.0 with LS3 heads and intake. Cam is about 225I/230E, .605 lift and 112 cl. On a chassis dyno it made 410 RWHP with 91 octane tune. So about 475? crank HP. It's very streetable. The LS3 heads add some compression.
Just a thought, instead adding a a super charger at a later date maybe just build nice 6.0 stroker right up front? 6.0 408 strokers have been done many many times so there are lots of really good kits out there at pretty reasonable prices.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
ust a thought, instead adding a a super charger at a later date maybe just build nice 6.0 stroker right up front? 6.0 408 strokers have been done many many times so there are lots of really good kits out there at pretty reasonable prices.
I've been looking at these kits. I see they are getting mid to high 500hp out of them.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
biketopia

First off, if you're going to go ground up, you need to decide if you're going to go with an LSA or similar screw type super charger, or staying NA long term, because that will dictate the direction of your cam selection, head work & compression ratio, intake, do you want to go stroker, do you need a forged crank or not, etc etc.

My brother is about to fire up his 6.2 LSA build, should be in the 700ish range on 93, which is about as high as you can/want to go on the LSA blowers. After that they tend to get inefficient and can't cool the intake charge down or you're spinning them so fast they just can't stay together. His LSA heads have been worked by Texas Speed, he's ported his blower and blower snout, and has a custom cam motion cam in it, I'd have to get the specs. But first thing first, be honest with yourself about your goals, use, and, NA or Boost then we can definitely help you get narrowed down.

Side note, I really want to find a decently priced LSA and put it on my 6.0 2500hd and call it a day.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #7
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I've been looking at these kits. I see they are getting mid to high 500hp out of them.
I am sure the numbers are valid, but be real careful about the range at which this power is being created. Most the high HP applications tend to be up in the 6500 range, which is great for cars, but not so great for a truck.

You will get some pretty hefty power out of an LSA. I was running 15 PSI of boost with meth injection on a bone stock LS3. Some people run a fair amount higher, but my IAT temps jumped and in a car weighing 2200 lbs, you couldn't put the power on the ground anyhow.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I am sure the numbers are valid, but be real careful about the range at which this power is being created. Most the high HP applications tend to be up in the 6500 range
I went back and looked and you are correct. It was hitting 584hp at around 6500rpm. I'll never do that obviously.

Quote:
First off, if you're going to go ground up, you need to decide if you're going to go with an LSA or similar screw type super charger, or staying NA long term, because that will dictate the direction of your cam selection, head work & compression ratio, intake, do you want to go stroker, do you need a forged crank or not, etc etc.
Great input and that is why I am here asking. Honestly, the supercharger is more for the wow factor when you pop the hood than me out running the truck hard enough to need the thing. In the end, I doubt I drop the 8k to go wow. I want reliability number 1, I want power/throttle response number 2, and then I want it to sound like it is something other than a Tahoe LOL. The SC would be nice and I would like to be able to add it later without starting completely over. Maybe I would be better off to re-ring the one I have and do some head work, add bigger injectors and call it a day.

I feel if I am going to build the motor I should squeeze more juice out of it if possible without breaking the bank. My current 6.0 with a Stage IV dyno'd just under 400hp with stock injectors/intake/etc. I would think I could swap heads, intake, injectors, and intake and get a better experience and a more fun drive.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #9
NJ68stepside

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...-ls-iron-block

summit racing and Power nation TV did a build series on this. I remember watching it a few times. Then they put a turbo on it. of course! LOL

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Now building resto mod 68 C10 step
NJ68stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #10
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

NJ68...that is the one I watched that got me motivated to do this. I didn't see where they ended up with the turbo on it. I just know they started with the LQ4 and it was going in a truck.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #11
NJ68stepside

Ha ha. Same here. I have a L96 and a 6L90 all setup to go. It’ll eventually get a whipple.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Now building resto mod 68 C10 step
NJ68stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #12
biketopia

If you're not likely to go SC right now, or in the near future then I'd almost just work with what you have. 500 NA is a decent target and not a wham bam thank you ma-am easy one like with a forced induction. Like stated earlier you can make HP #'s but they are way up in the rev range. For a cruiser and the occasional stop light pull you're more concerned with power under the curve. What heads and intake are you currently running and is there any work done to them? Using LS3 heads is great, especially if you're going with the LSA then it's bolt on, but you can run into some intake valve shrouding because of how close it is to the cylinder wall on a 6.0, and that's more of a concern when making power NA not forced induciton.

My thought's if you're going to stay NA is to either get a set of aftermarket heads, or send a set of 799's out to TSP or your porter of choice (I've used TSP and Frankenstein in the past) and have them ported and a high performance valve job done. Get a Fast 102 intake and 102 throttle body and work with TSP on cam selection. If you have a "stage 4"cam in it now it should have some chop to it at idle I would assume, shouldn't sound like a tahoe. What pipes and mufflers do you have after your headers? You'll want to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump to handle it then just a visit to your tuner. You already have an aftermarket stall so that helps a lot with cam selection and getting in the power band.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 10-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
My thought's if you're going to stay NA is to either get a set of aftermarket heads, or send a set of 799's out to TSP or your porter of choice (I've used TSP and Frankenstein in the past) and have them ported and a high performance valve job done. Get a Fast 102 intake and 102 throttle body and work with TSP on cam selection. If you have a "stage 4"cam in it now it should have some chop to it at idle I would assume, shouldn't sound like a tahoe. What pipes and mufflers do you have after your headers? You'll want to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump to handle it then just a visit to your tuner. You already have an aftermarket stall so that helps a lot with cam selection and getting in the power band.
This all makes great sense. I'll give TSP and BTR a call and see what they think. I do have some chop now with the stage iv. Will my fuel pump that came in the Boyd Tank not be enough?

Old 10-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #14
biketopia

What size pump is it? Need to know what it flows to know if you've got enough fuel. Odd's are you'll be fine though. You'll just want to upgrade injectors most likely so they aren't pushed to the limit of their duty cycle.

Are you a member on LS1Tech? There's a lot of really good info over there on builds and the gen 3 & 4 LS sections stay pretty active. Summit Racing is super active over there with cam and whole combo recommendations as well, as well as first hand experience from members.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350