The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
57FleetsideC4

Seam Sealer

Hi Guys, I am to the point in my project where I need to seal up the cab seams and would like recommendations on which sealer to use. I want a sealer that you put in a calking gun. Thank You Steve
Old 09-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Seam Sealer

I cheeped out on my nephew's truck,
and I am going to use this in the link below.
Because we are only Re-doing a few seams

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I read thru your build thread and I like your truck

With your level of build, I would use 3M seam sealer for sure.

I would suppose you would want to use the self-leveling stuff in the rain gutters.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
mr48chev

I've got a seam to fill on my 71 GMC where I massaged the firewall to clear the 500 Cad engine.
I haven't decided what I want to use on it or on the 48 which is going to be full of seams that need sealing.

That Delco looks interesting as does the Barrier Bond sealer that comes either in quarts or calking gun tubes.

There are lots of products out there I'd like to see more feedback.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've got a seam to fill on my 71 GMC where I massaged the firewall to clear the 500 Cad engine.
I haven't decided what I want to use on it or on the 48 which is going to be full of seams that need sealing.

That Delco looks interesting as does the Barrier Bond sealer that comes either in quarts or calking gun tubes.

There are lots of products out there I'd like to see more feedback.
I will use this within the Month

I am working with a 16-year-old boy's schedule

I did find this later.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Urethane-S...007NIQONO?th=1

This is a budget truck status right now.

There are several threads of seam sealer.

I have searched this on the forum and (pun intended)
Seams like I can't find a thread that give an Update of pro and cons of how it worked out.

It's really not year specific.
I will give feedback on how this works.

57FleetsideC4
I am not trying to derail your post I am just trying to share info

Old 09-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
R&B51

I started working with some of the Eastwood products several years ago and I have not had one that didn’t perform well for me so far. I got their brush on seam sealer. Been using their platinum rust encapsulator first, then seam sealer on top.
I’ve built a full custom frame and did the platinum rust encapsulator on cleaned raw steel. I used frame paint on top. Pretty heavy fabrication abuse with cab on and off multiple times and scrapes through that surface paint (touch up at final assembly) but no where did it damage the rest encapsulator underneath. That stuff seems to be crazy tenacious and super tough if you are considering trying under your seam sealer.
Will use a spray on sound and thermal when I am ready for that.
Eastwood has the caulk gun style that you were asking about but I have not used that.
Goes beyond the question you asked but I am not super experienced and I’m trying to figure this out too. It seems to be wise to put some type of rust encapsulated underneath the seam sealer?

Not really trying to sell their products but their customer service has always treated me really well. Just one example- Last year I bought a gallon of that encapsulator I think it was close to a couple hundred bucks. It arrived really swollen like it had gotten hot? I was a little bit afraid to even open it so I gave them a call. When I called them and they sent me a 2nd gallon no questions asked. The 1st gallon they said just keep it and have to a friend-turned out it was fine inside.
By the way, no matter what you put on-be sure and clean that steel before you do it. Eastwood has this pre-cleaner product that is crazy effective with naphtha and other stuff in it I cannot find locally. A lot of times I just use denatured alcohol as alternative.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
I started working with some of the Eastwood products several years ago and I have not had one that didn’t perform well for me so far. I got their brush on seam sealer. Been using their platinum rust encapsulator first, then seam sealer on top.
I’ve built a full custom frame and did the platinum rust encapsulator on cleaned raw steel. I used frame paint on top. Pretty heavy fabrication abuse with cab on and off multiple times and scrapes through that surface paint (touch up at final assembly) but no where did it damage the rest encapsulator underneath. That stuff seems to be crazy tenacious and super tough if you are considering trying under your seam sealer.
Will use a spray on sound and thermal when I am ready for that.
Eastwood has the caulk gun style that you were asking about but I have not used that.
Goes beyond the question you asked but I am not super experienced and I’m trying to figure this out too. It seems to be wise to put some type of rust encapsulated underneath the seam sealer?

Not really trying to sell their products but their customer service has always treated me really well. Just one example- Last year I bought a gallon of that encapsulator I think it was close to a couple hundred bucks. It arrived really swollen like it had gotten hot? I was a little bit afraid to even open it so I gave them a call. When I called them and they sent me a 2nd gallon no questions asked. The 1st gallon they said just keep it and have to a friend-turned out it was fine inside.
By the way, no matter what you put on-be sure and clean that steel before you do it. Eastwood has this pre-cleaner product that is crazy effective with naphtha and other stuff in it I cannot find locally. A lot of times I just use denatured alcohol as alternative.

I am a Big fan of Eastwoods stuff.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:17 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I will use this within the Month

I am working with a 16-year-old boy's schedule

I did find this later.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Urethane-S...007NIQONO?th=1
I read the feedback on that 3M 08368 sealer this morning when I was looking up the Delco and the others and it takes a nozzle that doesn't come with the canister.

Some info on the sealer https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066999/

It looks like you have to buy a 26 dollar made in china applicating gun rather than use a calking gun you already have two or three of around the place.

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-4531-De...00RH4G5G&psc=1

Or the 125 dollar 3M applicator. That might be great for a pro shop that does seam sealing every day but for us guys who will probably only do it once every few years when we have a new build going it is pretty spendy in comparison. https://www.amazon.com/3M-08398-Flex...0HSCN5EQ&psc=1 You might want to do some studying on it and see what the total cost is going to be unless you already have or have access to the right applicator.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:15 AM   #8
joedoh

seam sealer in its original application was to keep water from getting between panel overlaps and rusting. anyone who has fixed cowl rust on a 47-55.1 knows this problem.

seam sealer to me has been a water seal as well as some strength-in-bonding application. i use a liquid nails product called fuze-it, its 8 bucks a tube and doesnt "flow" like seam sealer, its more like caulk that sticks anything to anything. I have installed windows with it, sealed the battery cover shut, used it to plug firewall holes with circles of abs and on and on.

its not a concourse product, and sure i could weld up every tiny hole in a patch panel or the entire steel bed floor, but it works as well as welding and it really does bond anything to anything.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #9
57FleetsideC4

Thanks for the replies on this. I am going to use the 3M 08365 Beige seam sealer. I believe I have used this before and it works well if I remember correctly. They all seem to be in the $20 a tube range so price isn't a big issue. Will let everyone know how it works out. Steve
Old 09-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #10
mr48chev

Let us know what your thoughts are after you get it on and see how it works for you.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #11
boulis54

I’ve used the 3m that comes in regular tube for caulk gun and the Ac Delco one. If you have want to put down nice smooth caulk go with 3m. Much more workable. The AcDelco was junk as far as I’m concerned. It started skimming over as soon as I put it on. Was hard to work it around and wanted to chunk up. The edges are very rough now on the AcDelco caulk
boulis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #12
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Let us know what your thoughts are after you get it on and see how it works for you.
Will do. Steve
Old 09-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #13
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulis54 View Post
I’ve used the 3m that comes in regular tube for caulk gun and the Ac Delco one. If you have want to put down nice smooth caulk go with 3m. Much more workable. The AcDelco was junk as far as I’m concerned. It started skimming over as soon as I put it on. Was hard to work it around and wanted to chunk up. The edges are very rough now on the AcDelco caulk
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered 5 tubes of the 3M. Steve
Old 09-17-2022, 09:17 AM   #14
57FleetsideC4

Hi, I got the seam sealer 3M 08365 urethane. I am happy with it. It comes out nice out of the tube then I had plenty of time to work i if wanted. When dried it is pliable and dry to the touch. I would recommend it. The cost is similar to others on the market. Steve
Old 09-17-2022, 11:22 AM   #15
unclebrad

Thanks for the follow-up. Based upon that review, that's what I will use too.
unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:38 PM   #16
mr48chev

Thanks for that update.