The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Cgoldhill

Very mild 350 camshaft XE vs Voodoo

Gen 1 350 sbc, stock 882 heads, stock exhaust manifolds (for now, will be changing to full length headers by the end of the year), No cats with a 2 inch free flow dual exhaust (will be changing to 2.5 inch mandrel bent with an H pipe when I do the headers), Performer 2101 intake manifold, HEI ignition, stock compression (7.5-8:1 depending on what Ive read). Valvetrain looks immaculate so I'm pretty the heads have been gone over recently. Warmed up Quadrajet with idle tubes drilled out a bit (its the stock carb for a truck so I believe its the larger 750 cfm version). 3:08 posi rear with a 4 speed saginaw on the floor. Motor will never ever see over 5,000 rpm, and that will only happen on occasion. I spend most of time between 1500 and 3000.

Motor is in a 72 C10, 2wd long bed, so about 4000 pounds and some change.

I need to do an oil pan, and all the big gaskets so I'm gonna pop a cam in there while I'm at it. Obviously replacing all the lifters, pushrods, and throwing in a double true roller timing set.

Looking at the Comp Cams XE250H, XE256H, or the Voodoo 60100. The 60101has alittle too much lift than I'd like and dont want to worry about floating the stock valve springs.

Using comps camquest the XE256H looks like the better choice of the two XE grinds making 290 hp and a hair under 400ftlbs. The XE250H trades about 15 hp up top for only 7-8 ftlbs down low. At nearly 400 ftlbs, i dont think id feel the loss of low end torque but could definetly benefit from an extra 15 hp up top. The 60100 spec wise seems to fall right in the middle of these two cams but its on a 112 LSA, leading me to believe it wont be as punchy as I'd like. I also like the XE grinds 110 LSA for a slightly meaner sounding idle without losing drivability. I also think the 350 would benefit more from 110 LSA to help the heavy truck get up and going.

While doing my research, i see alot of people say the voodoo's make more power but I cant find a single side to side comparison. From what i can tell, it just seems like theres some trade off's here there between the two grind series.

What I'm looking for is anyone who has experience with any of these cams in their truck and what the real world performance is with builds as close to mine as possible. I'd also like to hear from anyone who has experience with both cam lines and if they have a preference of one over the other.

I see lots of people bash comp cams quality and attribute to cam lobe failure but honestly think is due to improper cam break in.

Any info is appreciated along with anyone who can tell me downsides of these cams. I await your vast amounts of knowledge and experience, you crazy truck heads!
Cgoldhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Very mild 350 camshaft XE vs Voodoo

The voodoo cams are a bit more modern than the xe stuff. They will usually make better power in the range you will be driving. Peak numbers mean nothing unless your bragging to your buddies. Regardless how new your valve springs are CHANGE THEM. The springs need to match the cam. The comp xe and Lunati voodoo grinds both have aggressive ramps and the springs should be changed. Comp did have some issues years ago with soft cores but most issues now are from improper break in or not running enough zinc to keep the cam happy. I personally would go with the 60101 voodoo. That lift will be ok but like I said regardless the cam you choose get new springs to match the cam. With that said any of the cams you are looking at will likely fit your needs and make you happy. Don't put too much faith in the online horsepower calculators. They exist to sell more cams and are usually very very generous on hp and tq numbers.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Cgoldhill

I will definitely be changing springs when i do the headers, Ive had a previous post where i sorta explained my situation and remember you posting cableguy. Id do the headers and springs all at once with the cam if the studs on the heads werent absolutely trashed. I'm afraid even lightly farting on them will cause breakage and headaches and thats a whole can of worms I dont want to open. If it does turn out the the valves float in the upper rpm then I'll just have to be forced to baby the crap out of it for a few months until the funds become available to move up my time table on the exhaust. The truck is a second vehicle but I am trying to make it daily driver friendly.

The gaskets and oil leaks are my top priority right now and its just too much work involved to not put in a cam.

Anyone have any personal experience to share with any of these cams?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Cgoldhill

and just cause I'm curious cableguy, what cam would you suggest that wont be so hard on the valvetrain but will still make me happy? I'd like to stick with something alittle more punchy than just your average RV cam.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
b454rat

I've used XE cams in a bunch of different motors. I have one now in my 454. Any of the cams will give you more punch than an RV cam.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
cableguy0

I would go with the Lunati 60101. While the valve train is apart changing springs only takes a few more minutes. An on the head valve spring compressor and compressed air and your good to go. You really cant go with any decent sized that's worth the effort of making the swap without upgrading valve springs. Stock valve springs are not near stiff enough. Having lifters bounce off the cam because the springs are too weak is BAD. You cannot look at a valve spring and tell their condition or how strong they are. I could hand you 10 identical looking valve springs that are 100lbs or more different in spring pressure. A basic old school rv cam is as far as I would with stock springs and without knowing how old they are I would probably still swap them out.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #7
Chevypoor

I have used a comp cams xe250h, x4250h, and xe262h. I have also installed two xe250h for friends. They all ran great. I never noticed the "noise" in the xe262h but in all the others I could here the comp cams xe sitting the valves down hard on the seats. Switched to Lunati 60103 in the 69 and I have been very satisfied with it. I agree with Lunati being a more modern grind and the close the valves a lot softer than the comp xe series. Based on the stock nature of your motor and the rpm range I would recommend the Lunati 60100. Definitely replace the springs!
Chevypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Sub'd

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
Cgoldhill

can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap set of valve springs that will work with these cam choices? Looking for straight drop in springs, with no additional parts or machining. Ive seen some people suggest to others a set for $25 but cant remember where and what and if they will even work for my application. Thanks guys!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #10
cableguy0

Whichever cam you choose. The cam will give you spring specs. Take those specs and go to summit or jegs and find a spring that is close. You can also check http://www.pbm-erson.com/Catalog/PBM . Most machine shops use their branded parts with no issues. I have used their valves springs multiple times.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
Ironangel

I'm running the same year truck, fresh 350 with what was a 3:08 posi (3:73 posi now) and 350 turbo tranny. I put the Voodoo cam kit in it because I tow a 20' trailer with another 72 C-10 on it. http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2323 I just got back from a 3000 mile hop through Denver, Taos, Santa Fe, Payson, and that old 350 pulled like a train through them mountains! I asked the same question as you and was looking at the same two cams 18 months ago when I was rebuilding the motor. That cam makes all its power right out of the gate from idle up to 5000 rpm. It has excellent vacuum at idle and even has a mild lope. Smear that cam down with that Isky Rev Lube and break-in oil in the crankcase, follow the break-in procedure...I was impressed and I'm running stock heads with hard seats...~Michael~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
Cgoldhill

What valve springs did you use with that 60101? And just ao Im clear, can i replace valve stem seals while changing the springs?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
Cgoldhill

What valve springs did you use with that 60101? And just ao Im clear, can i replace valve stem seals while changing the springs?
Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgoldhill View Post
Yes you can change the valve seals at the same time and as a matter of fact its a good idea while everything is apart.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #15
Cgoldhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Yes you can change the valve seals at the same time and as a matter of fact its a good idea while everything is apart.
Awesome, didnt know if id need to drop the valve. While looking at stem seals i see o-rings and then an umbrella style seal. Am i using both together? Either or? Just one? at $8 bucks a set from fel-pro for either, ill install both if possible. The last valve seal job i did i remember jusy using umbrellas on my 4.0 wrangler, this my first time building a chevy 350 which is why im asking so many stupid questions.

Also after looking over everything im gonna go with the xe256h and the matching valve springs. With unported crappy 882's, anything over .450 lift on the intake side will be useless, i like the punchier 110LSA and the valve spring set is reasonabley priced.
Can i reuse the retainers and locks? And theres no other machining or modification required as far as i can tell, correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
Cgoldhill

Unless someone can point me inthe direction of a cheap set of valve springs to match the lunati 60101, their website suggests a set that includes damper springs for $120, and that seems alittle overkill to me. i also cant find the actual specs of valve springs required for that cam, unless im just missing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
68c10owner

The XE and voodoo line are both modern aggressive lobe camshafts but I hate comp so my choice is the voodoo. I wouldnt worry about the lift and floating the valves. You "should" change springs to match but its such a mild camshaft that you can get away with stockers if they have low miles. I once ran a Isky 280 Mega in a 20yr old 327 and used the stock springs and valve flaot wasnt a problem. If you plan a spring change then the Z28 replacement springs will be more than enough and you should be able to get springs and valve seals for less than $100.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #18
Ironangel

Stock springs will work with the 60101 Voodoo Cam...Heres a deal on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301658493935 Either cam is ground for stock height spring perimeters. I did have one failure after about 200 miles, one stud on the #6 cylinder broke off going down the interstate with no load at cruise speed of 70mph. That was the cause of a weakened stud because they were drilled and I think a faulty lifter may played a part as well. I've put 8000 miles on the motor with the 60101 cam and just got back from a 3000 mile trip through the mountains and she's still pulling hard...New springs are always a good idea, staying within the stock perimeters is insurance that the engineering is good and still a little room for error. Comp Cam started offering break-in springs because so many cams were getting wiped right out of the gate. If your not going to be spinning up drag race rpm, you dont need stout springs, especially on these old soft heads.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:58 AM   #19
ChrisWhewell

I put the XE-250H in my '67 K20 8 years ago.

350 w/ Vortec heads
dual plane manif with Q-jet
beehive springs from LS2
1.94" stainless w/backcuts, 3-angle cut
measured static comp 10.1:1 , lost 1cc per chamber due to polishing

With 4:56 gears in the Eaton, there was no way I was going to use a cam to pump out work in the higher rpm ranges.

Truck spends its life spinning 2000-4000 rpm mostly, no need to rev to 5000+.

I wasn't out to impress anyone with a throaty sound, so I put the quietest dynomax mufflers on it. It is soooo quiet !!

But tons of torque ! I can tow a house when the sm420 is in first gear !

Thanks to ppl on u-tube, for posting their xe-250h cars with louder mufflers, it is nice to know I can change mufflers and get a cool sound out of it, but I won't do it.

I selected that cam also, for long-term reliability.

What a great truck, paid 4k and got 6 years of WORK out of it, hauling stuff, etc., and now can sell it for multiples of its orig. price.

Yes !!
Eaton 4.55's, Qjet,
MSD 8365, Comp XE250H,
Dynomax duals
ChrisWhewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #20
Tom
driving is in my blood

Voodoo has more modern lobe profiles then the XE line.
Those valve springs are old and flimsy, upgrading them is cheap so just get the voodoo cam and live happy.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote