The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #26
FAKKY

Re: How to fix this - after patch panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Sounds like a hose came apart inside. At least it should be a cheap fix. Do you have a hydraulic hose shop anywhere close?
Agree/hope - hopefully can just order something online premade
Old 10-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #27
leegreen

inside the welder is probably a low pressure hose - more like vacuum line.

I'd worry about getting acid into somewhere you could not get it out of, maybe that is unfounded.
When it was apart I'd do mating surfaces with a weld through primer and scrub what loose rust I could get to off. possibly paint inside if areas are far from the weld.

When the welding and body work is done, before priming or painting tape up all the holes, dump a liter or two of thin paint inside and with someone helping rotate the door so the paint flows into all the corners and seams and over any unpainted patches You will end up with paint dripping everywhere, but it is worth the mess and paint cost.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #28
FAKKY

well found the issue
simple enough when I can get the parts delivered
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2022, 07:50 PM   #29
leegreen

premade argon hose assembly at our Canadian harbour freight clone is like $15, cut a section off that and your probably good to go, but check ID before you carve it up. some import welders have pretty small hose & fittings inside

your regulator works?
that hose should not be dealing with more than 5-10 psi
Old 10-03-2022, 07:57 PM   #30
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
premade argon hose assembly at our Canadian harbour freight clone is like $15, cut a section off that and your probably good to go, but check ID before you carve it up. some import welders have pretty small hose & fittings inside

your regulator works?
that hose should not be dealing with more than 5-10 psi
Yeah cant find anything specific on any sites but figure this should work given its pneumatic and dealing with inert gases .... just says 8mmx5mm pneumatic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOWP300U&psc=1

Assume regualtor works - but 1st time ........ so will see
else will have to grab that as well

fun fun

thanks !!
Old 10-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #31
1project2many

Sometimes I will press a large steel block to the back side of an area I'm welding to help draw out heat. I have a 1" thick by 3" square block that I've welded a small, wire "handle" to. When the block gets to be around 120 ish degrees (warm to touch) I set it down and go away. I'm like joedoh... If I don't have another job to occupy my time I'll be back at the welding way too soon.

Acid will not creat a rust proof surface on the inside of a panel. Corroseal is a combination of acid and latex sealers. Latex is not good at protecting metal long term and Latex is generally not a good primer for oil based paints.

To protect a panel you need to keep oxygen and moisture away from it. If you want to protect the inside of a door or fender use paint to isolate the metal. If you're concerned with areas like the folds at the edge of the door skin you can apply Permatex Super Lube or GM's version which is available as an aerosol, PN 12346241. But do not use this chemical before applying paint. It contains silicone which can wreak havoc with paint. Chain and cable lube is also very good at seeping into seams and tight places. Some versions don't smell good when they get warm.

Good luck!
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #32
dsraven

that hose looks like air brake hose which would be available locally for cheap. check your reg for sure, it should have held up to the low pressure shielding gas. a lot of guys run too much gas, it doesn't really take a loty to shield the arc area.
anyway, seems like you got it figured out without a new spendy purchase.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #33
FAKKY

Thanks guys.
New sheet metal on way
New hose for machine on way and some ear pliers/clamps.

Will update when back online and new panel tacked in place. Wont be before weekend and even thats a long shot given delivery time for all to arrive (metal hasnt shipped yet from ebay offcuts etc)
Old 10-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #34
leegreen

you mentioned watching some of fitzee's videos, this door skin repair he did is worth a look if you have not seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCyB8-Z4Js

That body line he had to work along was an advantage, without it there would be more need for caution doing the welds, with maybe some hammer/dolly work to keep panels flat as you go.
'cut and butt' rather than starting with a butt-butt fit is a simple way to keep the panels aligned. I used to think that was a hack, but am using it more and more.

if you find fitzee and badchad interesting, try halfass kustoms
Old 10-14-2022, 01:25 AM   #35
Kermitt47

Another You Tube Metal Master is Make it Kustom. This fellow does some amazing things with a piece of metal and a lot of his tools are home made.

Kermitt's 47 truck build
Kermitt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:40 AM   #36
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
'cut and butt' rather than starting with a butt-butt fit is a simple way to keep the panels aligned. I used to think that was a hack, but am using it more and more.

i love the cut and butt although I never heard it called that. the first set of cab corners I put on i trimmed and trimed and sanded and trimmed and trimmed some more. it was endless torture. the second set I cut and butt and MOVED ON WITH LIFE>

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:08 PM   #37
FAKKY

Thanks guys
Yes been watching videos just for fun not necessarily for this ..... really like them all but my hat has to go to "make it kustom" - thx Kermitt47 I had seen his channel before but hadnt subscribed. Its fun - but they are all great.

So only got everythign mid week - didnt do anything and been helping the wife all morning. So only update it ITS THE DAMN REGULATOR. Sheeesh I was not expecting that - switched out the $100 Victor Reg

https://tinyurl.com/5krjtmkh

to a $20 chinese special ....

Shes all good again (for now).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NSKGKBX...roduct_details

Ill probably tig weld two pieces togetehr tonight and start cutting and forming my larger patch ..... going to try and do in 1 piece and spend more time on getting curve and fit right before I even try and patch it in ....

will update.