The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #51
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Under Bed Gas Tank Suggestions

Thanks Dave. I hadn't thought of rotating the Blazer 90* until I saw yours. Thats a cool idea.

Mike, are you saying YOU used the Blazer tank? I'm in one of those "gotta-do-4-things-before-you-can-do-the-thing-you-originally-started-to-do" situations.

Short version is I want to reinstall my bench seat, bolts are snapped off. My gas tank stap bolts are also broken off. Want to drill them out but gotta pull the tank to do it safely so "while I'm in there" You all know the drill, yada, yada, yada!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #52
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

A few things to look at with a stock Blazer tank.
You will need a stock sender that uses a lock ring and an O ring.
If your using it for EFI then you also need a pump with a tray on the bottom pickup and either modify the tank for the pump or get a stock pump that will fit with a lock ring.
The Blazer does hang down below the rear bumper.
Rear fill is difficult because of the rear cross member, side fill is much easier.

The tank I use on a AD is a 67-68, 18 gal Camaro tank. It sits high, you can't see it when the bumper is on and it can either be plumbed for side or rear fill. The one I used is an EFI tank that has the fuel tray in it and uses a Walbro GPA-2 pump and 5 hole sender.

For TF trucks use an early mustang tank with the same pump and sender as the Camaro tank.
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #53
57chevyman

question - should I make it a priority to install an under - bed fuel tank? I hear the reasons - get the fuel smell out of the cab and for safety reasons, get the fuel tank out of the cab.

I see that I can get a new reproduction '69 mustang fuel tank with a new sending unit on ebay for $89.00 with free shipping.

if this sending unit will not send the correct information for my stock 1957 fuel gauge, is it possible to make it work? I don't want to install an aftermarket gauge. it seems like a lot of people are recommending the mustang tank because it fits so good and its under $100

another question - do I need to install an electric fuel pump? im running a '77 350 with a carb and mechanical fuel pump now

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #54
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
What about using Autometer aftermarket gauges? Im thinking of doing the mustang tank also...Any help would be great on this...
That's what I did. My fuel gauge is Mustang-compatible. Problem solved.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #55
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57chevyman View Post
question - should I make it a priority to install an under - bed fuel tank? I hear the reasons - get the fuel smell out of the cab and for safety reasons, get the fuel tank out of the cab.

I see that I can get a new reproduction '69 mustang fuel tank with a new sending unit on ebay for $89.00 with free shipping.

if this sending unit will not send the correct information for my stock 1957 fuel gauge, is it possible to make it work? I don't want to install an aftermarket gauge. it seems like a lot of people are recommending the mustang tank because it fits so good and its under $100

another question - do I need to install an electric fuel pump? im running a '77 350 with a carb and mechanical fuel pump now
For what your doing a mechanical pump will work or you could use an electric back near the tank.

Here's the issue with using a stock Mustang tank, They have the pickup and sender opening at the bottom of the tank. It only uses the stock mustang sender and pickup tube. they are prone to leaking and now illegal in all states to put into anything but an original Mustang. Lots of guys do without issue, but after being in a car that caught on fire from a gas leak I don't take those chances anymore.

If you get a new Mustang tank made for EFI they don't have that opening at the bottom front of the tank everything is on top. You can have a regular pickup tube for a mechanical pump and a 5 hole sender with the correct ohms for your gauge. They are a little more expensive but how much does it cost you to make all stock mustang parts work.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #56
53 Jimmy

I was thinking about using a 48 tank in the stock location .... they make a repro one
53 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #57
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 Jimmy View Post
I was thinking about using a 48 tank in the stock location .... they make a repro one
Jim Carter http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/p...9&i=10525|||||

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/p...9&i=10524|||||

It is very very close to the drive shaft. On an original torque tube thats not an issue but on a open drive line it may be. There is a picture on his site that shows how close it is.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #58
vht

If I used 1 of those tanks, I put a driveshaft loop in. Maybe even frt and rear just to be safe. I would like to find a tank that I can use a in tank pump. I'd like to have something the size of the Mus tank so it won't stick down to low. Got a guy that suppose to have a 2000 Camaro tank I can try but so far I haven't seen it. Going with a 6.0 LS and would like to use the inj, and I can't afford the big buck tanks.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #59
59stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Short version is I want to reinstall my bench seat, bolts are snapped off. My gas tank stap bolts are also broken off. Want to drill them out but gotta pull the tank to do it safely so "while I'm in there" You all know the drill, yada, yada, yada!
I'm in the same boat! Pulled the stock tank out and all bolts broke and would not really like to put the tank back in the cab. I have been searching for an easy fix this last week. Looks like with the mustang tank, you still have to remove a crossmember. Found one on CL for $75, but was looking for a better drop in option that's not $300.

Might just strap down the stock cab tank in the bed. or not.

1959 Stepside build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=602386
59stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #60
99monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks Mr. 48. I've been procrastinating but what I have thought of doing is just removing the Ford sending unit and basically just cutting off or grinding off all the parts other than the perimeter ring which interfaces with the tank. Then probably use JB Weld to mount the sending unit I got with my gauges on it. I wonder how gas resistant JB is?
I have had a bad experience with fuel and JB weld, held good for a few months,then the jb lost its properties and flaked away or became soft again, I don't remember which,didn't hold too long anyhow.
99monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #61
Dan in Pasadena

Good to know, thanks!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #62
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59stepside View Post
I'm in the same boat! Pulled the stock tank out and all bolts broke and would not really like to put the tank back in the cab. I have been searching for an easy fix this last week. Looks like with the mustang tank, you still have to remove a crossmember. Found one on CL for $75, but was looking for a better drop in option that's not $300.

Might just strap down the stock cab tank in the bed. or not.
I'm sold on the Mustang tank. Good, fast and cheap. They sold over a million early Mustangs, and they'd used that type of seal for decades in all kinds of tank configurations. If you Google "fiery crashes Mustang" most of what comes up are the 2010-2012 Mustangs (mostly because those are the ones in the current news). Ford didn't get into trouble with gas tanks until the Pinto, shortly after the dawn of the Nanny State when the gov'ment started trying to protect us from everything. (Oops. Sorry. My fingers slipped.)
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #63
59stepside

What about running Dakota digital dash. Do they have the option to only have the one ford sending unit or whatever for the fuel tank. Anyone use them for this application?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #64
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I'm sold on the Mustang tank. Good, fast and cheap. They sold over a million early Mustangs, and they'd used that type of seal for decades in all kinds of tank configurations. If you Google "fiery crashes Mustang" most of what comes up are the 2010-2012 Mustangs (mostly because those are the ones in the current news). Ford didn't get into trouble with gas tanks until the Pinto, shortly after the dawn of the Nanny State when the gov'ment started trying to protect us from everything. (Oops. Sorry. My fingers slipped.)
Its not just the seal that's the main issue its how the gas comes out of the tank. The pickup exits near the bottom of the tank and if a line breaks it WILL empty the tank, if its at the top of the tank it will air break and only lose whats in the line. That was the main problem with the design. The seal was a secondary issue that did have issues leaking. Seals today are much better than they were back then so that issue may not be there now but the bottom of tank pickup tube is still there. I'm not saying don't use, it its your truck, I'm just giving information.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #65
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59stepside View Post
What about running Dakota digital dash. Do they have the option to only have the one ford sending unit or whatever for the fuel tank. Anyone use them for this application?
From what I have read it seem to indicate that it will read almost any sender. You may want to email them with that question.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #66
Speedbumpauto

The original post and again later, budget was the major issue. If he can't afford the Tanks poly unit at about $250 before the EFI pump which you have to buy anyway, he'll die when he looks at the Dakota Digital stuff. I know I did. Probably would have done it anyway but digital just isn't the look I wanted in the older truck.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #67
59stepside

I understand what your saying, just an option, down the road. Since him and I are I'm the same spot as far as just wanting to put the truck back together to drivable status, but kill two birds with one stone. It might be an option to throw in a mustang tank and just top off the tank every week until installing a unit like Dakota digital when able or finding a solution to the sender issue. I know I will going with the digital eventually so if it will work eventually it's worth the hassle of no fuel guage until now and then while saving $$. Just a diffrent option.

I have a 76 camaro tank sitting around from my donor car, doesn't seen like it will fit between frame rails, or under. Anybody who raised there bed floor put the tank above frame rails and under bed floor?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #68
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

76 Camaro is almost 40" wide. I don't know how you could mount that one in a task force truck
Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #69
ChevyGearHeads

try chevygearheads on youtube me and my son put a big 10 gas tank in my 80 shortbed hope this help's
ChevyGearHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #70
59stepside

It won't work for everyone, only if you are raising the bed floor or for a big step notch or something along the lines of porter built rear Kit.

Once you decide that your raising the bed floor you have endless amounts of room between the now raised bed floor and the truck frame. Room for an air tank and valves in the front, gas tank in the rear, etc...The bed is 50" wide for Stepside so you can figure just in the rear you have a good amount of room depending on long bed/shortbed/ new bed floor height, and notch. You can have a hidden filler neck that's accessible with tailgate down. You can put in access panels in the floor for maintenance. It's enough room I was even thinking about getting an aluminum tank used on a boat off CL. Found an 18 Gal with sending unit 40"x 18"x6" that would work.

Just another option if you don't mind having shallow bed sides.
It's not for everyone,....but you will never bottom out and hit your tank!

Last edited by 59stepside; 12-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #71
vht

Done some research, found all the size and depths of the mus tanks. The 70 is 22 gal and is 9 3/4 deep. I'm going to weld up the hole for the sender and install a gm module type deal in the top. I can put a Walbro 255 pump in the module, the return goes back in the cup where the pump sets so I'll have correct press and no fuel starvation on turns when the tank get to a 1/4 or so. Found a tank on ebay for $65, I can come up with a fuel module, and the pump is $95. Also I have a 70 chevelle tank that will fit with the crossmember removed. I don't really want the rear fill. It has a new sending unit, 3/8's line and the tank is like new if it'll do anyone any good.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #72
G&R's57GMC

Here ya go Mustang tank specs, and installed on a TF

Also a Blazer tank with the filler to the side.
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 12-30-2013 at 01:46 AM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #73
59stepside

I just picked up an all aluminum 18 Gal fuel tank of CL for $40 with sender unit. It's from a boat and outside of it is pretty dirty but I think it will polish up nicely and inside is good. I plan on using it below the raised floor. If your looking for cheap and want to raise your bed floor anyways, boat tanks can be picked up cheap and if you get one that used gas/oil mix the inside will not be corroded at all and just takes a quick rinse.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #74
Dan in Pasadena

Not a bad suggestion, thanks. Had never thought of it.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #75
Dan in Pasadena

Ha ha, just checked L.A. Craigslist. This one IS nice for the price....if it weren't trapezoidal!

I suppose no one would ever know, but I'm not putting a goofy shaped tank under my baby. Just me I suppose.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4209949587.html