The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
the1066

Help with 283

It sucks to start on this forum with a question, but help is needed!

I own a 1966 c10 with a 283 small block, built. A couple days ago, I was soldering my wire connections to a tachometer. Being stupid, i didn't disconnect the battery leads, and shorted the ignition wire to the key with the fan motor briefly. thought nothing of it, fuses were all good. I accidentally pulled wires loose out of the ignition key, no problem, I re attached them, figured the case unrelated to the following scenario unless someone deems otherwise.

I went to start the truck, all it would do was crank over. I replaced the coil, figuring no spark. Battery at 12 volts. Still nothing. It got worse, now the starter would't even crank the motor over at all, just rapid fire clicking noise. I assumed I flooded the motor, gas was leaking out of the carb gasket. I waited an hour, then it cranked to life, but it was cold enough out that it died after a few seconds. I tried to start again, this time the starter wouldn't even crank the motor over again. The engine bay smells like gas. The oils smells like gas, it did slightly a few days before, meaning to do an oil change (still has plenty of oil in it) I'm assuming the starter solenoid went out, or starter is jammed on the flywheel; weird thing is that it did start once. I cleaned off the battery starter terminals, no luck. Hopefully I didn't hydraulic a cylinder. I also couldn't get a breaker bar on the front of the motor to see if it turned over manually, didn't have time to take the balancer off (fairly certain it has to).
the1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
frankslagoon

Re: Help with 283

sure sounds like your getten raw gas down the intake. pull the plugs and turn it over to clean it out. then see if it starts.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
72 Cheyenne Super

IM in the same situation with my 283 in my 66 C10! I have been chasing down timing because I know it was never timed right, but now it is like the motor is siezed up or something!
72 Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
Vinceg

It has been years but my first truck was a 66 with a 283. It use to go through starter solenoids. I assumed it was from heat from the old centre drop exhaust manifold and not having proper heat shielding in place. Anyhow it would get like that and I would have to replace the starter solenoid. Not sure if that is your problem but it sounds like the problems I was having. Good luck.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Vinceg

Sorry just to clarify it would clunk and not turn over or it would click like the battery was dead. Even though I had good a good battery.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Mackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1066 View Post
It sucks to start on this forum with a question, but help is needed!

I own a 1966 c10 with a 283 small block, built. A couple days ago, I was soldering my wire connections to a tachometer. Being stupid, i didn't disconnect the battery leads, and shorted the ignition wire to the key with the fan motor briefly. thought nothing of it, fuses were all good. I accidentally pulled wires loose out of the ignition key, no problem, I re attached them, figured the case unrelated to the following scenario unless someone deems otherwise.

I went to start the truck, all it would do was crank over. I replaced the coil, figuring no spark. Battery at 12 volts. Still nothing. It got worse, now the starter would't even crank the motor over at all, just rapid fire clicking noise. I assumed I flooded the motor, gas was leaking out of the carb gasket. I waited an hour, then it cranked to life, but it was cold enough out that it died after a few seconds. I tried to start again, this time the starter wouldn't even crank the motor over again. The engine bay smells like gas. The oils smells like gas, it did slightly a few days before, meaning to do an oil change (still has plenty of oil in it) I'm assuming the starter solenoid went out, or starter is jammed on the flywheel; weird thing is that it did start once. I cleaned off the battery starter terminals, no luck. Hopefully I didn't hydraulic a cylinder. I also couldn't get a breaker bar on the front of the motor to see if it turned over manually, didn't have time to take the balancer off (fairly certain it has to).
Too many assumptions. You need to verify power to the ignition system with key on and also while cranking. Verify sufficient battery power, 12.6 V or better minimum. An under $10 volt ohm meter is your friend as well as a test light. Clean all the battery terminals including the connections at the starter and ground at the block. All the cranking with maybe a lot of gas pedal mashing could have the engine really flooded. After you sort out the starting problem don't run the engine much at all without changing the oil. Fuel contaminated oil is hell on bearings.
Mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

If you are getting that much gas into the engine you may have a carb. flooding or a bad fuel pump. Check the dipstick to see if it is overfull.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote