The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Are the 71-72 front disc brake caliper rubber hose fitting threads different sizes?

doing a 71-72 disc brake upgrade and noticed when I bought two brand new 71-72 rubber brake lines for the calibers the passenger side threads are larger for where the metal lines screw in to them than on the driver side, I am wondering if that be intentional by General Motors?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:34 PM   #2
70STOVEBOLT

Re: Are the 71-72 front disc brake caliper rubber hose fitting threads different size

No, someone has probably replaced the passenger side with a newer caliper with metric threads.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Are the 71-72 front disc brake caliper rubber hose fitting threads different size

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
No, someone has probably replaced the passenger side with a newer caliper with metric threads.
thanks for the reply I apologize for not being clearer, both calipers are brand new and I bought them both, this is not the part that screws into the caliper this is the other end of the rubber hose that attaches to the crossmember bracket and has the metal brake line screw into it
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2022, 12:09 AM   #4
mr.mud1

yes,both hoses are different on the steel brake line end and 2 different size inverted nuts.here's the original hoses from my one owner 72 truck,and a set of new hoses.the new hoses were too short,couldn't use them but they had the correct ends.take care.Greg
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:24 AM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
yes,both hoses are different on the steel brake line end and 2 different size inverted nuts.here's the original hoses from my one owner 72 truck,and a set of new hoses.the new hoses were too short,couldn't use them but they had the correct ends.take care.Greg
thank you thank you so much, that was such a perfect response just what I needed (I can stop pulling my hair out now)
Old 07-01-2022, 12:26 AM   #6
kwmech

Sounds like he is doing a conversion from drum to disc. If that is the case, I had to have my right hand hose custom made for the large fitting on that side. That was easier than redoing the hard line from the left side.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #7
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Sounds like he is doing a conversion from drum to disc. If that is the case, I had to have my right hand hose custom made for the large fitting on that side. That was easier than redoing the hard line from the left side.
yes sir,i'd guess that's what's going on.i was having fits with mine,i bought several sets of hoses,all too short??my original hoses weren't bad,just 50 years old and i wanted new ones,finally found a place in Michigan that had the correct hoses.all good.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:05 AM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

does anybody know why they did that? why is the passenger side larger? does it require a larger 1/4" metal brake line?