The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
Xavier

In-cab to under-bed fuel tank conversion questions

I've been collecting the parts to do an EFI upgrade on my '68 and was looking for some insight from other regarding fuel tank options.

I already have and plan on using a Holley Sniper EFI with a Holley in-tank Retrofit fuel pump module.

Using that setup I think I will still need a sending unit to get fuel levels, correct?

There are so many different tank options I'm not sure which would be best suited for my application. I definitely want a side filling tank.
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: In-cab to under-bed fuel tank conversion questions

I put EFI on a '72 SWB for a guy about 15 years ago. Used an '86 S10 Blazer tank that had a 2.8 TBI. Swapped the pump for what I needed ('89 IROC pump). It has the correct resistance sending unit for the stock gauge. It has a side fill. On the truck I did, I notched the top of the frame for the filler neck. Somebody else put a (5th gen) stepside bed on it and made the filler on the passenger side.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Accelo

Sounds like you have a good plan.
The hose issues will be hose type, hose routing and adapting the hoses.
Planing for the return, if required, and the vent.
These are the easy issues.
Figuring out how to fill the tank is always the hassle.

I went the cheap route on a new aluminum tank. (Of course it was Made in China. They conveniently leave that out of the ad) Not only would it not fit without hitting the cross member for the bed. The bed the filler was offset from the middle by 3" and designed for a hole in the bed floor. The center is about the worse place I could think of for a bed tank fill.
The pump was also situated behind the bed cross-member which makes the lines difficult to run. You have to notch the cross member or run the lines a the side of the tank next to the frame. Makes it really difficult to remove and replace the tank.
I would purchase a quality tank for a reputable manufacture. I believe you can get them with the pump you specify. It gets expensive but you will avoid many of the hassles I had to deal with. If you want to save money use a solution like Markdtn did and retrofit a used tank. Still have to modify it but you know that up front.
At least you don't have the initial investment of a new tank that doesn't fit.
And avoid CPP truck parts if you can.

Last edited by Accelo; 02-19-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
Peanut74

2x Accelo advise on the tank. I bought one from Brothers and the filler neck lined up with the bed sill. Currently working on the fuel filler routing. Planning on having the fill cap in the stake bed pocket.

For my fuel line routing I used the passenger frame rail for both the supply and return lines. Had them come up in the middle of the trans tunnel.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
MARKDTN

I actually used the fuel lines from the Blazer. It was the perfect length for a SWB. I did replace all the rubber hoses with new EFI hose while I had it out. Be careful joining lines, You need a barb so hoses don't blow off under pressure. Brass unions are not really the best choice; they are meant for low pressure. Hydraulic unions are a better choice. An easier way would be buy/borrow a Mastercool tool and make quick-connects where you need to join lines. With proper fittings you can join different line sizes if needed (like 5/16 to 3/8)
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
justKIDn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I've been collecting the parts to do an EFI upgrade on my '68 and was looking for some insight from other regarding fuel tank options.

I already have and plan on using a Holley Sniper EFI with a Holley in-tank Retrofit fuel pump module.

Using that setup I think I will still need a sending unit to get fuel levels, correct?

There are so many different tank options I'm not sure which would be best suited for my application. I definitely want a side filling tank.
I was in the same boat. I decided to keep it all Holley and just ordered my tank last week. I called Holley Tech with some questions about the tank and ended up ordering it straight from Holley. Check it out, Holley part #19-185. Side fill neck is #19-186.
Attached Images

justKIDn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
67C10Step

Perfect timing on this thread and I hope I don't hijack but here is my current delima:

1967 short stepside - what are the filler options if moving tank to the rear? In bed, side, or ?

Also, if I am not going to EFI right now but might in the future is there a tank/way to accommodate that?

Thanks all, good thread on this.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
MikeB

One of the things I want to do on my 69 C10, when I get it back this spring, is add EFI. I hate the idea of the filler being on the bed floor, but the truck was recently painted so I don't want to put a filler door in the bedside. Are their any other choices?

You can see why I don't want to mess with the bedside!

Edit: It's not ideal, but maybe my best bet is to keep the tank behind the seat. I wonder if there's pump-in-tank setup for that.???
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 02-19-2021 at 11:49 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Accelo

MikeB.
Yes I get it your truck is amazing.
Another option is the fill behind the rear plate.
Like the Chevelles from the 60's and 70's. I believe they typically use the Chevelle hinged mount for the Chevelle fuel fill.
Their is also the fill that they hide behind the rear side marker light.
Installing the fill behind may require fab skill that may be beyond the average enthusiast.
One would think the fill location would have been better addressed by the aftermarket providers. Seems most go the easy route and just cut the hole in the bed. Can be dressed up some with a pop up fill/cap. In my opinion installing it in the middle of the bed is ludacrist.
I will carry nothing in the back but maybe a lawn chair/cooler. So having it there may be tolerable. I have my tank installed with the pressure and return lines but no fill yet. Even if it is installed on the very edge of the tank it's still not near the edge of the box. One of the conundrums of installing the tank in a safer but none factory location.
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
greenweenie1969

I went with the Boyd rear tank and it worker awesome. Looks good too because of the low profile fro the rear. They come set up with the sender in tank and come top fill or side fill. Great customer support too.
greenweenie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #11
Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I put EFI on a '72 SWB for a guy about 15 years ago. Used an '86 S10 Blazer tank that had a 2.8 TBI. Swapped the pump for what I needed ('89 IROC pump). It has the correct resistance sending unit for the stock gauge. It has a side fill. On the truck I did, I notched the top of the frame for the filler neck. Somebody else put a (5th gen) stepside bed on it and made the filler on the passenger side.
I also did an S10 Blazer tank once. 20 gal, side fill, correct GM stuff, also notched the rails to drop it in. I also remember notching a bed support right over the tank.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
67ChevroletDude

Accelo,
You forgot the option that is to route it to the corner of the bedside. I was also in the same predicament that MikeB was and opted to cut the very corner of the inside of the bed near the stake pocket to route my side fill suburban tank. That way I can still use my truck for truck things.

Last edited by 67ChevroletDude; 02-19-2021 at 03:00 PM.
67ChevroletDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
One of the things I want to do on my 69 C10, when I get it back this spring, is add EFI. I hate the idea of the filler being on the bed floor, but the truck was recently painted so I don't want to put a filler door in the bedside. Are their any other choices?

You can see why I don't want to mess with the bedside!

Edit: It's not ideal, but maybe my best bet is to keep the tank behind the seat. I wonder if there's pump-in-tank setup for that.???
I have seen a side marker light mod and I think I have seen people leave it in the wheel well.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: In-cab to under-bed fuel tank conversion questions

The 68 step I was building but sold it before I finished it. It was running though. It's Rob's from 'NO LIMIT' tank and it's setup for FI if need be later on.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
Ironhorse

I have the in cab tank moved to the rear on my 71 4x4 fleetside. Has been there for nearly 16 years or more. Got the tank from GMCPaul, poly tank and the fuel fill is in the bed on the driver side wheel well. Works well, fills at full flow with no burp, run two vent lines up over the rear wheel wells. Get some strange looks dumping fuel in the bed at the gas station but this way it leaves the bed floor free for hauling. Had to cut a cross member to allow the bed to set down flat to the frame as it should.

Nice looking truck by the way.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #16
Ofnaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenweenie1969 View Post
I went with the Boyd rear tank and it worker awesome. Looks good too because of the low profile fro the rear. They come set up with the sender in tank and come top fill or side fill. Great customer support too.

I've used the Boyds welding tanks as well, they are very high quality and the customer service is great. The ones I've used have been bed fill though, that is what the customers wanted.

You could install a pump in your factory tank, but I would not recommend it, I think it would make the fuel smell unbearable in the cab due to the fuel return. You could do a surge tank setup if you wanted, that way it pulls from the in cab tank and the small surge tank houses your high pressure pump and return fuel.
Ofnaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #17
ho70

69 camaro tank has fill that lines up with license plate
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #18
C101972

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho70 View Post
69 camaro tank has fill that lines up with license plate
This is the Boyd tank with built in pump, I am using the hinged taillight fuel filler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

C101972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 PM   #19
C101972

Quote:
Originally Posted by C101972 View Post
This is the Boyd tank with built in pump, I am using the hinged taillight fuel filler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Still a long way to go...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #20
LS short box

I did the 69 Camaro tank rear fill behind the license plate. It's works well. A bit ackward
to fill but it doesn't spit back. The tank hangs down a bit but its well above the scrub line. I did not want to fill thru the bed or mod the bed side.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #21
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I did the 69 Camaro tank rear fill behind the license plate. It's works well. A bit awkward
to fill but it doesn't spit back. The tank hangs down a bit but its well above the scrub line. I did not want to fill thru the bed or mod the bed side.
That's what I want to do with mine. As said above I really wish the aftermarket guys would realize there some of us who don't want to cut a hole in the bed, and don't have the desire or fab skills to do taillight or fender fills.

From what I've found online the biggest difference with the F Body tank is the straps don't go the same way, and as you said it does sit lower.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #22
LS short box

I don't recall using the stock tank straps. I went to a local metal supply shop and had them cut from stainless 16 gauge sheet metal 1" wide longer than I needed and then cut to fit. I used pieces of truck tire inner tube between the strap and the bottom of the tank. Tire shops will give bad inner tubes away.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:51 AM   #23
Xavier

Thanks for the advice, gents.

I went ahead and got a Boyd's tank, mostly because other options were on backorder until June.

Are straps a necessity with a tank? Would it be sufficient to just bolt it to the frame or are straps required in addition? I ask because Boyd doesn't supply them and their "mounting kit" is just a bar of flat stock with some threaded holes to put in the frame rail to bolt into.

Also a quick question regarding fittings. The Sniper comes with 6AN fittings whereas the Holley drop in pump has 1/4 NPT threaded holes. I already bought a 37° flare tool and plan on running some stainless supply and return lines but my question is about the fittings. Obviously I will need a fitting at either end of my hard line. I want to use flexible line at either end for the connection to the pump/efi. Do they come pre-terminated? Do I need 1/4" NPT to 6AN adapters for the pump or is that something that would be part of the flex line?

I've personally never used an AN fitting so I have no experience with them but I figure it's used in high-end builds all of the time so it must be good and I didn't own any flare tools up to this point.
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #24
LS short box

Is your pump in the tank? I like to run SS -6 line both for the pressure side to the fuel filter regulator and the return side. I use the teflon type -6 line. I actually run SS -6 line front to back. I find it so much easier to route compared to hard lines.
You can get most any type of -6 fittings from Summit.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:03 PM   #25
C101972

I have in tank fuel pump, have you ever been and flared s/s lines? it can be a painful experience, especially if you don’t have good quality tools. I’m just putting it out there.
Posted via Mobile Device