The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Interior > Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Geos 72

For you stereo guys

Hello to everyone, I think I could use an amp in my truck but I never had one. I have a 240w radio in my 72 C10 w/ two 250w "under the seat" speakers and 300w speakers in each of my kick panels. I'd like to give the radio a little help but I'm not sure how many watts the amp should be. I was thinking maybe an 800w amp w/ four channels would work? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here but I can't afford a top of the line amp. Anyone got any ideas? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks, George
Geos 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: For you stereo guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geos 72 View Post
Hello to everyone, I think I could use an amp in my truck but I never had one. I have a 240w radio in my 72 C10 w/ two 250w "under the seat" speakers and 300w speakers in each of my kick panels. I'd like to give the radio a little help but I'm not sure how many watts the amp should be. I was thinking maybe an 800w amp w/ four channels would work? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here but I can't afford a top of the line amp. Anyone got any ideas? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks, George
First thing is first-----look for the RMS ratings of your speakers. Depending on who the speakers are made by, that could be anywhere from 25% to 50% of the max rating most manufacturers advertise depending on what ohms were used for the advertising.
Example from an amp I installed recently in a buddies truck:
RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):

4 ohms: 450 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 chan.
1 ohm: 1100 watts x 1 chan.

This is a monoblock subwoofer amp, and the box states its 1100watts in really big letters. Except at 4 ohms its really 450 watts, but that is at 14.4V, where most alternators are regulated to 13.8 volts. So the wattage thhig can be a bit nebulous.

One thing you should look for is "CEA-2006 compliant amplifier" on the specs. This usually keeps the manufacturer from fibbing too much.

Also take a look at your 240watt radio. Most head units are putting out 15-20 watts RMS per channel.

Then, look for a 4 channel amp that matches up to your speakers RMS as closely as possible. A little over is ok. Most full range speakers are 4 ohm, so if you have a 4-channel amp running 4 speakers (1 output running 1 speaker) you want to look at the 4-ohm ratings.

As far as brands, any of the common name brands make pretty affordable stuff, and they work ok. Not audiophile quality, and definitely not competition worthy, but decent sound for what most people want/need/desire. Stay away from brands like Crunch, Pyramid, Boss, etc. They are right up there with the old Spark-o-matic radios...LOL

I personally have had very good luck with Hifonics amplifiers. Inexpensive, but they work very well. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...mplifiers.html

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Geos 72

Hello Lattimer, thank you for your help. Well, the speakers in my kick panels are Pioneer and they are 4 ohms 50w RMS and the "under the seat" speakers are from Custom Auto Sound Undercover2 and they are 4ohms but I couldn't find the RMS rating. The am fm cassette radio is from Vintage Auto Sound. I purchased it about three years ago and those are the "no name" radios they make to fit your dash. I lost the paper on it so I have no idea what the RMS on that is. I wish now I would have purchased something better but I'm stuck with it for now. I like mostly hard rock but I don't blast it, all I want is a little more power, better sound and a little better bass. So what do you think?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Lattimer

Your stereo is probably putting out 15 watts per channel in reality. A 4- channel amp pushing 50-60 watts per channel rms @ 4 ohms would work well for you.

I just installed one of these in my Chevy http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-GLX60.4.html

Fits perfect under the driver seat. Inexpensive but still sounds good. It will give you better sound and more volume without distortion. Better bass.....maybe. That requires a sub for good bass. I don't know how well those Undercover speakers will produce bass. More power will definitely help. Those are rated at 200 watts, so I'd bet RMS is around 100.

Stepping up to this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-ZRX600.4.html or this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ZRX1000.4.html will get you a little more out of the undercover speakers.

If you have never installed an amp before, do some reading on www.Crutchfield.com or on www.SonicElectronix.com. They have some good articles.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the wiring kit. Good ones are expensive. Cheap ones have really crappy wire and can lead to amp failure.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
sprint_9

If you want something really small to hide, you might look at these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4....html?tp=35782

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020XC14....html?tp=35782
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Geos 72

The "undercover speakers" I have are rated 250w but it's probably the same RMS as the 200 w. Well Shawn, thank you so much for all your help and advice. I think I'm going to have to find someone to help me with all this so it all goes in the right way, I never did anything like that before. I'll keep all your info and go by that. Thanks again Shawn, George

Sprint 9, thank you for your info, I'll keep my eye on them.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
67 chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post

As far as brands, any of the common name brands make pretty affordable stuff, and they work ok. Not audiophile quality, and definitely not competition worthy, but decent sound for what most people want/need/desire. Stay away from brands like Crunch, Pyramid, Boss, etc. They are right up there with the old Spark-o-matic radios...LOL

I personally have had very good luck with Hifonics amplifiers. Inexpensive, but they work very well. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...mplifiers.html
I had some pyramid speakers , they were total junk , waist of money and install time , sounded horrible , I like , jl , mb quart , and even sony , Boston acoustics are nice also , my jl amp is awesome , great adjust ability and you need that
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
I had some pyramid speakers , they were total junk , waist of money and install time , sounded horrible , I like , jl , mb quart , and even sony , Boston acoustics are nice also , my jl amp is awesome , great adjust ability and you need that
JL makes nice stuff, buts its pricey. In my Tundra I have a nice setup with all Image Dynamics speakers. I got their low end stuff and they are still very nice. I'm running them with a pair of old Blaupunkt amps that shouldn't sound very good, but work well and actually sound great. More power would be an improvement, but what I have works too well to mess with.

The Chevy got all Pioneer speakers. Four 4" 2-ways in the Highliner headliner and an 8" sub under the seat, running off a Hifonics amp. Install isn't totally complete yet, I think I have a bad connection or a nicked wire somewhere causing static.

Over the years I have had great luck with Kicker, Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, and Image Dynamics speakers. Sound quality ranges all overt the map, and none of those brands make the list for serious car audio guys.

Audio is one area where you really do get what you pay for. Cheap stuff gives you cheap sound. I have found that I really can't tell the difference from upper mid-level to high end, my ears are not well enough tuned to tell. So I get midrange quality stuff in general. I tend to put more money into the speakers and buy decent lower end amps, and it seems to work out well.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
utee05

For me I went with a nvx jad800.4 amp (class d so runs a bit cooler than class a/b), component speakers and an alpine 8" sub. The amp is small enough to fit underneath the seat without any problem. IMO you only need front speakers and get some good ones.

I'm currently working on making the kick panels and sub box but i wired everything out just to test it out and it sounds good to me. More than enough in the small cabin and loud enough to hear over the engine.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I bought Crunch subs about 20 years ago,made my own boxes....could make your hair move!
sounded good,but i'm going complete pioneer this time
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote