The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
K10Scottsdale78

Having problems starting after replacing starter solenoid

So a couple weeks ago, my 78 K10 started fine. The last time I went to use it was to pull a parts car off a trailer that was stuck in park. When I went to go hook up the tow strap the truck puttered out and I thought it was just because I cold started it without choke. I tried starting it after it shut off and nothing happened, so I believed the starter solenoid was shot.

Today I installed a new solenoid and still NOTHING! The only way we got it to start was hot wiring it using the old screwdriver to the solenoid method. I have no idea what could be wrong after fixing the starter.

Could it be a short in the wiring? Ignition? Bad ground somewhere? Someone please help me out here, I really cant afford to take it to the mechanic, since my bank account is pretty low thanks to my car accident last month.
5spd (gas saving daily driver)
-1969 Pontiac Firebird (post-college project car)
K10Scottsdale78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Having problems starting after replacing starter solenoid

You most likely have a bad connection somewhere in the purple wire that goes to the solenoid "S" terminal. Use a test light or voltmeter to see if you're getting power on that wire with the key in the "start" position.

If there's no power on that purple wire, the first thing to check would be the neutral/clutch safety switch. Even if the switch has been bypassed, the jumper or splice that was used to bypass it might have come unhooked. Look under the dash near the steering column for two 12ga purple wires that go to the safety switch (or have been spliced together). One of the wires might be yellow instead of purple ... GM changed some of the color codes during '78.

If that switch (or the bypass) is good, but you still don't have power on those wires in the "start" position, it could be a bad ignition switch.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
K10Scottsdale78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
You most likely have a bad connection somewhere in the purple wire that goes to the solenoid "S" terminal. Use a test light or voltmeter to see if you're getting power on that wire with the key in the "start" position.

If there's no power on that purple wire, the first thing to check would be the neutral/clutch safety switch. Even if the switch has been bypassed, the jumper or splice that was used to bypass it might have come unhooked. Look under the dash near the steering column for two 12ga purple wires that go to the safety switch (or have been spliced together). One of the wires might be yellow instead of purple ... GM changed some of the color codes during '78.

If that switch (or the bypass) is good, but you still don't have power on those wires in the "start" position, it could be a bad ignition switch.
Wow thanks for the info! Ill take a look at the solenoid wire first to see if thats ok. My father believes its the clutch safety switch, and you said that can be found under the dash right? or is it just the wires that go to the clutch safety switch?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Yes, the clutch safety switch is up under the dash. Should be screwed to the left side of the pedal hanger bracket if I remember correctly.

Looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1978-GM...53fe15&vxp=mtr

I don't know if that is the exact switch your truck takes (the ebay listing is showing it for cars) but the truck one is similar looking.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
K10Scottsdale78

It was infact the clutch safety switch, them 2 purple wires were disconnected when I checked. Plugged it in and she fired right up! Thanks again
Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that it was an easy fix!