The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #51
Hidesertchevy

Re: Interest in Dummy Gas Cap Filler Neck?

I would be interested in one just the way have them already. Let me know thanks.
Hidesertchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #52
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
I want a spring prank snake under the cap
If I had this setup, I totally would put a "spring prank snake under the cap". I could not WAIT until I let someone "borrow" the truck in lieu of filling up the tank.... then just wait for the WTF call!

HAHAHAHAH

:-)

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #53
pjmoreland

The gas cap will need to be removable for the power outlet version. Having the cap stuck on there would be a nice way to keep the cap from getting stolen.

I may want to make it so there is only one version simply by adding a plug to the hole for the normal non-power-outlet version.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:56 PM   #54
MDFarms

Your quick Cad drawing are amazing! I assume you may do that for a living? I think all this input is
very positive and some good ideas for sure.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #55
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
Your quick Cad drawing are amazing! I assume you may do that for a living? I think all this input is
very positive and some good ideas for sure.
Yep. I design robots for a living. I'm enjoying designing something fun and without a tight schedule for a change. I've got the week off, too, so that helps. All of the suggestions have been extremely helpful.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #56
jondancer

Very cool
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:54 PM   #57
pjmoreland

I sent updated drawings to the machine shop for quote. I also ordered some thin-walled steel tubing from McMaster-Carr to test out the spacer idea to make the filler neck stick out the stock distance.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:03 PM   #58
ItWillBeSlow

I am very interested pending the final modified design. I also like the original idea but agree it could stick out another 1/8" ish and could be shallower on the interior side.

Why are you using a modified 60-66 neck? This kit would include the gasket right?

Assuming this idea materializes, how long do you think it would be for them to be available? I have this project on my to-do list and would rather buy a ready-to-go kit.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:14 PM   #59
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
I am very interested pending the final modified design. I also like the original idea but agree it could stick out another 1/8" ish and could be shallower on the interior side.

Why are you using a modified 60-66 neck? This kit would include the gasket right?

Assuming this idea materializes, how long do you think it would be for them to be available? I have this project on my to-do list and would rather buy a ready-to-go kit.
The 60-66 neck uses the same gas cap as 67-70 tank, but the neck is a separate piece. Otherwise, I'd need a big supply of old 67-70 tanks that I could cut the filler neck off of. It's just a convenient way to get a filler neck.

I wasn't planning on including the gasket since some people would already have one. If people think I should include it, then I could include the USA-made one sold by GMCPauls for $12. I would need to factor that into the cost of the dummy filler neck though.

The machine shop lead time is four weeks right now. I'm planning on placing an order for the parts within the next week or so. I would need maybe another 2-3 weeks after receiving the parts to do the welding, painting and assembly. So it will probably be a couple of months before I'm ready to ship anything.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #60
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The 60-66 neck uses the same gas cap as 67-70 tank, but the neck is a separate piece. Otherwise, I'd need a big supply of old 67-70 tanks that I could cut the filler neck off of. It's just a convenient way to get a filler neck.

I wasn't planning on including the gasket since some people would already have one. If people think I should include it, then I could include the USA-made one sold by GMCPauls for $12. I would need to factor that into the cost of the dummy filler neck though.

The machine shop lead time is four weeks right now. I'm planning on placing an order for the parts within the next week or so. I would need maybe another 2-3 weeks after receiving the parts to do the welding, painting and assembly. So it will probably be a couple of months before I'm ready to ship anything.
Thanks.
Dumb question - is there a difference in the tanks for 71/72? I noticed you said 67-70 but I always thought they were all the same.

I like the idea of including the gasket personally; even if you upcharge as needed, it should lower the overall cost for those of us who need the gasket so we aren't paying to ship 2 parts. If I buy a $12 gasket from GMCp it will cost me $30 to my door with their shipping structure, if not more.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a bit, I am very interested pending the final design. Feel free to PM me in the near future if you are trying to verify who is "in".
Old 12-30-2021, 11:24 PM   #61
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
Thanks.
Dumb question - is there a difference in the tanks for 71/72? I noticed you said 67-70 but I always thought they were all the same.

I like the idea of including the gasket personally; even if you upcharge as needed, it should lower the overall cost for those of us who need the gasket so we aren't paying to ship 2 parts. If I buy a $12 gasket from GMCp it will cost me $30 to my door with their shipping structure, if not more.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a bit, I am very interested pending the final design. Feel free to PM me in the near future if you are trying to verify who is "in".
That's a good point about the extra shipping. I will plan on including the gasket. There could also be variations between gasket brands that could affect the fitment of the dummy filler neck clamp.

The 71-72 filler neck has a smaller diameter than 67-70. The cab holes are the same size though, so a 67-70 gasket will fit in a 71-72 truck. This is another good reason for me to include the gasket with the kit.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:28 PM   #62
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
That's a good point about the extra shipping. I will plan on including the gasket. There could also be variations between gasket brands that could affect the fitment of the dummy filler neck clamp.

The 71-72 filler neck has a smaller diameter than 67-70. The cab holes are the same size though, so a 67-70 gasket will fit in a 71-72 truck. This is another good reason for me to include the gasket with the kit.
I think you hit your magic number of 10 sold!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:33 PM   #63
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
I think you hit your magic number of 10 sold!
I think so. I will proceed with getting the parts made. Also, I think the design has changed sufficiently enough from the original thread that give me the idea for the one I made for my truck that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by moving forward. I still need to test adding the external spacer to set the gas cap distance from the cab, but that testing can take place while the machine shop is making the other parts.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:16 AM   #64
pjmoreland

The plastic plug I was planning on using for the non-power-outlet version is probably not a good idea because someone putting a gas pump nozzle into the dummy filler neck would likely pop out the plug. Instead, I modified the clamp plate to have a pop-out metal plug.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2021, 12:36 AM   #65
Getter-Done

As a Machinist
I am just suggesting to the Idea's

Is it feasible to add a Rolled Bead a 1/4" back that the grommet that would seat in?

For sure there would need to be 15 degree (or more) Included angle ,
So it would not pull it thru and still be able to tighten up to the Exterior body panel.

Are you designing this with a NOS filler neck grommet?

Name:  InkedFillerNeck.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  58.1 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:51 AM   #66
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
As a Machinist
I am just suggesting to the Idea's

Is it feasible to add a Rolled Bead a 1/4" back that the grommet that would seat in?

For sure there would need to be 15 degree (or more) Included angle ,
So it would not pull it thru and still be able to tighten up to the Exterior body panel.

Are you designing this with a NOS filler neck grommet?

Attachment 2155051

I'm planning on using a made-in-USA reproduction grommet sold by GMCPauls. That's what I have on my truck right now. Fits very well, and they claim it will last a long time.

I like your idea of adding the rolled bead. That would be an elegant way to get the filler neck to stick out the correct distance without altering the external appearance of the filler neck. I don't have the resources to add a rolled bead though. I might be able to rivet or epoxy a collar onto the outside of the filler neck to create the same effect. One concern I have is that the internal lip on the grommet might not be firm enough to prevent the filler neck from pushing through the grommet if someone pushed firmly on the cap. I will investigate this idea further once I receive some thin-walled chromoly tubing I ordered today.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #67
MDFarms

Went on GMC Pauls and was looking at gromment (not very good picture) Anyway seen the blazer 2" fill. Did they mount this to inner quarter panel with flange? Wonder how the angle sits? Just some more ideas for a final design. To me I believe this flange is too big for the contour of the truck cab corner area. I woner if this is the same fill design they used for some of the auxilary tanks on pick ups as well? Still like your design with simplicity and over all look.
Attached Images

Last edited by MDFarms; 12-31-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #68
pjmoreland

That certainly would simplify things. I'm not familiar with the Blazer filler neck, but I'm assuming there is a mounting flange welded to the quarter panel for attaching the filler neck. I'm trying to stay away from having to modify the cab. I did a Google search and there are lots of companies making "bayonet" style filler necks out there. There might be something useful for us instead of the 60-66 filler neck.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #69
BigBird05

I am very interested in this design. I have relocated my tank and using your filler neck would save me from welding my filler neck opening closed. I have read that it is very hard to weld the gas filler opening without a tell tail witness mark showing thru.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:16 PM   #70
dmjlambert

Here is a rough hack to your drawing that shows the way I would approach the bracket. Make it out of sheet metal, fairly thin metal straps perhaps 3/8 inch wide, and insert it to grip the metal hole in the cab, then put the grommet on the cab, then insert the dummy neck and attach screw. You may need to use 2 or even 3 of the sheet metal brackets so you get several grip points around the hole for extra stability. This would allow the neck to stick out however much you want, look more stock, and not rely on pressing that lip against the rubber grommet for tension.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #71
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Here is a rough hack to your drawing that shows the way I would approach the bracket. Make it out of sheet metal, fairly thin metal straps perhaps 3/8 inch wide, and insert it to grip the metal hole in the cab, then put the grommet on the cab, then insert the dummy neck and attach screw. You may need to use 2 or even 3 of the sheet metal brackets so you get several grip points around the hole for extra stability. This would allow the neck to stick out however much you want, look more stock, and not rely on pressing that lip against the rubber grommet for tension.
Thank you for taking the time to think about this, and thanks for the sketch. This approach is worth exploring. I think the first thing I'd do would be to make sure the ends of the strap would fit underneath the grommet without causing the grommet to pucker.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:58 PM   #72
dmjlambert

I do like the deeper neck version so there's room to store something. I like the prank snake in there or put a button at the bottom with a sign that says don't push.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #73
68 C10 Driver

I was going to put my own together seeing how I am relocating the tank, but I will happy support the community and buy one of these dummy fuel filler necks.

I'm in!
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #74
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
I was going to put my own together seeing how I am relocating the tank, but I will happy support the community and buy one of these dummy fuel filler necks.

I'm in!
Thank you, and thanks to everyone else who has expressed interest so far!
Old 01-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #75
jones6826

I would definitely be interested in one of these. I moved my tank to the rear and sold my tank before thinking about needing the filler neck to fill the hole.
jones6826 is offline   Reply With Quote