The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2023, 09:46 PM   #1
ShinyC10

Wheeeels

So I pulled the trigger on the stage 1 air ride kit from AZproperformance for the 73-87 model truck. Front consists of the plates/cup with the bags with the stock control arms and the back is a bolt in 4link from ridetech. I got some Vannatta front inner fenders coming in in a few weeks. I got my eyes on some wheels (us mags boulevard 20x9.5 and 20x8). Curious if the back spacing is going to be an issue with these. 20x8s come with a 4.54bs and the 20x9.5 with a 5.29bs. Back has stock tubs and bed floor. Any help is appreciated, thanks 👍🏻
ShinyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Wheeeels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyC10 View Post
So I pulled the trigger on the stage 1 air ride kit from AZproperformance for the 73-87 model truck. Front consists of the plates/cup with the bags with the stock control arms and the back is a bolt in 4link from ridetech. I got some Vannatta front inner fenders coming in in a few weeks. I got my eyes on some wheels (us mags boulevard 20x9.5 and 20x8). Curious if the back spacing is going to be an issue with these. 20x8s come with a 4.54bs and the 20x9.5 with a 5.29bs. Back has stock tubs and bed floor. Any help is appreciated, thanks 👍🏻
They should 'fit' fine assuming stock width rear end housing & un-modded (narrowed) front arms.

My personal preference is 5"BS minimum on an 8" front wheel. It offers more turning clearance @ the fender-lip when the truck is LOW & keeps the track width to a minimum. Your proposed 8's w/4.5xBS just has less clearance @ that outer plain/fender lip.
(Full disclaimer: 5"BS up front usually has increased interference issues @ the a-arm which requires more effort)

I'd prefer 5"BS on a 10" wheel out back which would be the same as 4.5"BS on your proposed 9.5" rear wheel. The additional back-spacing @ 5.29" will tuck the rear wheels more than needed to clear which impacts looks but they'll still fit/work. They could come very close to the edge of the inner tub/floor seam so I'd watch for possible interference. if so, a .250" spacer would likely be all that you'd need.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
ShinyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
They should 'fit' fine assuming stock width rear end housing & un-modded (narrowed) front arms.

My personal preference is 5"BS minimum on an 8" front wheel. It offers more turning clearance @ the fender-lip when the truck is LOW & keeps the track width to a minimum. Your proposed 8's w/4.5xBS just has less clearance @ that outer plain/fender lip.
(Full disclaimer: 5"BS up front usually has increased interference issues @ the a-arm which requires more effort)

I'd prefer 5"BS on a 10" wheel out back which would be the same as 4.5"BS on your proposed 9.5" rear wheel. The additional back-spacing @ 5.29" will tuck the rear wheels more than needed to clear which impacts looks but they'll still fit/work. They could come very close to the edge of the inner tub/floor seam so I'd watch for possible interference. if so, a .250" spacer would likely be all that you'd need.

So is there anything against running that set up and just putting a half inch spacer on the front?
With the specs you listed, there’s not really a large selection of wheels unless you have a $10,000 budget it seems. Wheels and tires I’m trying to stick around 4 to 4500 max.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:58 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
So is there anything against running that set up and just putting a half inch spacer on the front?
With the specs you listed, there’s not really a large selection of wheels unless you have a $10,000 budget it seems. Wheels and tires I’m trying to stick around 4 to 4500 max.
Quote:
Not sure why you would want the 1/2" spacer up front? The 8" wheel w/4.54bs works as is. Adding a spacer brings it closer to the fender lip which you won't want.

If anything, you might need a 1/2" spacer in the rear to clear the inner wall of the wheel tub and/or edge of the bed floor. My bet is it should clear w/o one.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-24-2023, 07:55 PM   #5
ShinyC10

Quote:
Not sure why you would want the 1/2" spacer up front? The 8" wheel w/4.54bs works as is. Adding a spacer brings it closer to the fender lip which you won't want.

If anything, you might need a 1/2" spacer in the rear to clear the inner wall of the wheel tub and/or edge of the bed floor. My bet is it should clear w/o one.
Okay, so I had my eye on another wheel a little out of budget but f it, if it has more options then it’s worth it in my eyes. American Racing Gasser wheels offer 20x8.5,9,10 and 10.5 with almost any backspacing. What’s an ideal bs for 8.5 or 9” front wheel and a 10/10.5 rear wheel with stock bed, axle and air ride with a c notch.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:18 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Okay, so I had my eye on another wheel a little out of budget but f it, if it has more options then it’s worth it in my eyes. American Racing Gasser wheels offer 20x8.5,9,10 and 10.5 with almost any backspacing. What’s an ideal bs for 8.5 or 9” front wheel and a 10/10.5 rear wheel with stock bed, axle and air ride with a c notch.
For 8.5's up front, I'd want 5-5.25bs.
For 10's out back, I'd want 5.00bs. If 10.5's, I split the diff if possible or stick w/the 5.50" & dial it in as needed w/some .125/.187/.250" spacers.

Put a wheel on there that you can reverse engineer your calcs with. If you have a known starting point, calculating from there helps provide a real time number range for your specific truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #7
Loco83

This should help you out.
http://thewheelsmith.net/wp-content/...nt-Article.pdf
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote