The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Thealien

A set back with my LS install

I have a 1972 Jimmy and want to install a 2005 LS engine I purchased and had thought I had done lots of research . I had talked to Kert at DIY4X4 and he didn't think his first gen crossmember would work but we decided I would try it and if it didn't work I could return it, it didn't work!

Here are a few pics of the crossmember installed in the Jimmy The bolts did pull it tight. I don't know if it should have been tight to begin with?

Here it is all snugged up

Here are a few pics of parts of the crossmember installed on the LS engine you can see where the flange will hit the engine

Where it hits before it is all the way up to the other side

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: A set back with my LS install

Here is a sketch where I think if the flange was removed or turned straight down and a little length to the hoop it may work. I sent Kert some of the pictures and we will see if we can make this work so there is a crossmember available for the few others thinking about this?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Thealien

Here is a template I made to try and get a crossmember made.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Thealien

Its really closer than the last picture looks

Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
glasley

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ give these guys a call ls conversions is all they do, street and performance is there name we just put a ls1 out of a 03 vet in my buddys truck,and they had every part we needed,plus they have a 72 there they have done,very friendly and
knowledgable
glasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasley View Post
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ give these guys a call ls conversions is all they do, street and performance is there name we just put a ls1 out of a 03 vet in my buddys truck,and they had every part we needed,plus they have a 72 there they have done,very friendly and
knowledgable
Yeah, call Street & Performance. The owner's name is Mark. You can ask for him specifically and he will get on the phone. He's busy though, but he is obtainable. I've bought several things from them. Serpentine brackets for my big block, my LS brackets, LS conversion plates, headers, etc. I love their products. I know you don't know me personally, but for what it's worth, I highly recommend their stuff. And Mark really knows his stuff.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Rokcrln

I third S&P as they just did my harness for my 72 Tahoe's 05 5.3L DBW motor and the computer re-flash. Between my self and my friends we have about 6 of their set ups and they are strait shooters if they don't know they have no problem saying so. Now they are a bit spendy but worth it in the long run.

Kevin
LFD inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Thealien

Thanks for the help guys. I sent my template to Kert at DIY4X and he was very happy with my template and instructions and believes we can get this worked out. Part of the problem is being a non lifted 4X4! Not many done. There are a bunch of lifted 4X4 swaps which gives much more room for the crossmember.

I had contacted a bunch of vendors for harness work (had not contacted S&P) and out of 6 or so only 2 responded to my emails. To me communication is the key. I am also an anal demanding customer who asks lots of questions. I wanted cruise control wiring with future wiring for additional gauges (possibly even a stock 2005 truck cluster?). Some were not sure about the cruise?

In the end I went with board member 68 short step and he has been able to answer all my questions and I have seen his work on these pages for a couple of years! When I get my crossmember finished and my harness back I will start a build thread with everything it took to install a 5.3 4L60 into my 1972 Jimmy with an NP205 transfer case in the stock location. I have made some mistakes that have cost me some money that I will help some of you save if you want a similar swap. Stay tuned for updates and the build thread!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
vtblazer

Sending you a guys e-mail addy via pm, he's a 1st gen owner who know's.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
rob32472

You will not regret going with Don on this swap he is the man when it comes to these engine swaps.......
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
killer71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob32472 View Post
You will not regret going with Don on this swap he is the man when it comes to these engine swaps.......
i agree, he will bend over backwards to help ya. i bet the big name companies don't provide "communication" as this guy does, especially with trouble shooting.

truly a classy guy!!!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
Lieferson

I know this is an old thread but was DIY4x ever able to make that cross member work for you? I bought a first gen one from him when i intended to move up to a big block but i decided to go LS instead and now im kind of stuck with it
1972 K5 3/4 ton PROJECT Sold
Lieferson is offline   Reply With Quote