The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #101
Xeen

Re: 1972 K10 Disabled Veteran First Build

It looks like I'm a little bit late to the party, I just saw this build today for the first time.
Welcome to the board.
There are a LOT of very knowledgeable people here on the board and you can learn tons by just simply reading other peoples builds.
As in all things there is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, sometimes unfortunately we don't have the tools to do things the "right way" all the time and a lot of times the right way costs a lot of money because of the tools you have to buy to make it happen, however the good news is Harbor freight is your friend, the idea behind the business model is the tools are designed for "one time use" and are very reasonable in price.
As in most product lines there are different levels of quality and features, they have the El cheapo, the Heavy Duty and the PROfessional series.
For things like drills I buy the PRO series, for things like impact drills and grinders I buy the HD series, you get the idea, I never buy the El cheapo because they may or may not make it through your first project
Harbor freight is also good for things like car dolly's, BIG 60 gallon air compressors, PRO series tool boxes, things of that nature.
Lowes is an excellent source for common fasteners, nut's bolt's etc, but for hard to find fasteners go to Ace hardware.
I'm going along for the ride, if you find yourself scratching your head and have any questions about anything on the pickup feel free to send me a private message.

Last edited by Xeen; 05-25-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #102
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
It looks like I'm a little bit late to the party, I just saw this build today for the first time.
Welcome to the board.
There are a LOT of very knowledgeable people here on the board and you can learn tons by just simply reading other peoples builds.
As in all things there is a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, sometimes unfortunately we don't have the tools to do things the "right way" all the time and a lot of times the right way costs a lot of money because of the tools you have to buy to make it happen, however the good news is Harbor freight is your friend, the idea behind the business model is the tools are designed for "one time use" and are very reasonable in price.
As in most product lines there are different levels of quality and features, they have the El cheapo, the Heavy Duty and the PROfessional series.
For things like drills I buy the PRO series, for things like impact drills and grinders I buy the HD series, you get the idea, I never buy the El cheapo because they may or may not make it through your first project
Harbor freight is also good for things like car dolly's, BIG 60 gallon air compressors, PRO series tool boxes, things of that nature.
Lowes is an excellent source for common fasteners, nut's bolt's etc, but for hard to find fasteners go to Ace hardware.
I'm going along for the ride, if you find yourself scratching your head and have any questions about anything on the pickup feel free to send me a private message.
Thank you for stopping by and for the info you have included. Having yourself and the other experienced members posting info and encouragement is a great asset and motivation. I will definitely keep you all in mind as this continues. At least I know y'all won't call me crazy for trying this build. Everyone I know kinda looks at me out the corner of their eye like I'm nuts.
0311Chevy8152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #103
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311Chevy8152 View Post
... At least I know y'all won't call me crazy for trying this build. Everyone I know kinda looks at me out the corner of their eye like I'm nuts.
Yeah, but they know you and we have to depend on what you tell us! :-)
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #104
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Yeah, but they know you and we have to depend on what you tell us! :-)
I've learned "crazy" all depends on who you hang around with and from looking at this group I'm not crazy at all.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #105
Ozzy2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Actually when your by yourself doing body work can be a pita, especially when the carriage bolts want to turn when your trying to remove them. One trick for rusty bolts i have learned thru the years is to just tighten them until they break off cause you don't want to re use rusty bolts anyway, bolt kits are pretty cheap, the only possible drawback besides a bloody knuckle may be that if the body flanges are really rusted they may give a little, but if they are that bad they need repair anyway.
Great way to get them off done it a lot also.
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:29 AM   #106
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 View Post
Great way to get them off done it a lot also.
I have removed both wheel wells and about to start on the bed side panels. Instead of trying to loosen the bolts I should try tightening them first and see if they will break? So far it's been about 50/50 or a little over on bolts that will break.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #107
Xeen

I forgot to mention earlier, one of the greatest things I discovered for cleaning up and resurfacing most metals without removing any good material is a polycarbide abrasive wheel on an angle grinder it's literally a miracle worker, how you use it is you lay it down as flat as you can without touching the arbor to the metal and use light to no pressure on it because usually the weight of the grinder is enough.
You can use the edge of the wheel if you need to get into a recessed area.
It will remove, rust, body filler, paint, etc.
Here is a link to the product so you can check it out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-h...eel-94017.html

Last edited by Xeen; 05-27-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #108
DWilbur

Quote:
I forgot to mention earlier, one of the greatest things I discovered for cleaning up and resurfacing most metals without removing any good material is a polycarbide abrasive wheel on an angle grinder it's literally a miracle worker, how you use it is you lay it down as flat as you can without touching the arbor to the metal and use light to no pressure on it because usually the weight of the grinder is enough.
I saw the wheels at HF I will have to give them a try. Wander how they will do to clean up stainless steel.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #109
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilbur View Post
I saw the wheels at HF I will have to give them a try. Wonder how they will do to clean up stainless steel.
It will resurface the stainless steel meaning it will remove oxidation, stains, et cetera and give it a fine tooth, you will need to go one step further afterwords and polish the stainless steel to remove the tooth.

Last edited by Xeen; 05-27-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #110
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Once I get down to the bare frame is this what you recommend I use to prep it for whatever I should do next? I found a place in south Sacramento that you can take parts to, frame, panels ect and they do a several step process of stripping down to the bare metal killing rust etc. which is probably going to cost money I do not have or would have to save up for. Would it be wise for me to save up for something like that or can I get er done by hand? Thank you for your advice.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #111
Xeen

I would have everything you intend to reuse media blasted which doesn't really cost that much, where as chem dipping costs too darn much.
Any parts you have media blasted need to be sealed with self etching primer immediately once you get it home to prevent surface rust from reforming, so plan accordingly.

Last edited by Xeen; 05-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #112
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
I would have everything you intend to reuse media blasted which doesn't really cost that much, where as chem dipping costs too darn much.
If you have it done you need to seal all parts with self etching primer immediately once you get it home to prevent surface rust from reforming.
Have you seen this new "dustless blasting" that uses water and a glass media? I have watched a couple advertisements on it but I'm not positive on if it removes rust or not. They are trying to get people to buy into their franchise and make money doing it.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #113
Xeen

Quote:
Have you seen this new "dustless blasting" that uses water and a glass media? I have watched a couple advertisements on it but I'm not positive on if it removes rust or not. They are trying to get people to buy into their franchise and make money doing it.
Never heard of it but then I don't keep up with that sort of stuff regularly either, I would take it to a traditional media blaster that uses a dry media there is too many cracks and crevices where rust could reform and any time you get metal wet it want's to flash rust so that doesn't sound like a great idea to me.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #114
swamp rat

Quote:
Its not for rust i don't think, its for body paint removal last time i checked, donno if it works on bondo ether.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #115
Xeen

Someone obviously used this thing for off road, so with that in mind I would take some serious time measuring to make sure the frame is straight.
Who knows if the P.O. had any idea what they were doing when they lifted the pickup.
Sigh... I hate to say it but they probably didn't which means the shock mounting points weren't reinforced/relocated the frame wasn't boxed for strength, no skid plates added et cetera.
Lets hope they didn't beat on it regularly, you need to carefully check every ball joint, tie rod end, et cetera for wear.
Also you need to carefully check for damaged/bent suspension parts.

Last edited by Xeen; 05-27-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #116
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Someone obviously used this thing for off road, so with that in mind I would take some serious time measuring to make sure the frame is straight.
Who knows if the P.O. had any idea what they were doing when they lifted the pickup.
Sigh... I hate to say it but they probably didn't which means the shock mounting points weren't reinforced the frame wasn't boxed for strength, no skid plates added et cetera.
Lets hope they didn't beat on it regularly, you need to carefully check every ball joint, tie rod end, et cetera for wear.
I'm nervous as to what I am going to find as well. When I took out the electrical under the dash it amazed me nothing had caught fire. My plan is to take everything apart, inspect everything, and make sure it's done right. I will be looking for guidance and direction to make sure I do it right. I'm thankful I found this forum and able to ask questions. This forum is my only resource. I do not have friends or family familiar with building a truck. I want to make the truck solid and to last. Hopefully one step at a time that will happen.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #117
Xeen

Well you have come to the right place, we can certainly make sure you are doing it right.
I would really like to have a conversation with you concerning your plans for the pickup so I can help you formulate a long term plan for the build, if you would like to send me a private message with your number and a range of time that it is ok to call on most days and I will give you a call, just click on my name on the left to send me a private message.
BTW you will notice that I edit my posts a lot because I have a bad habit of rereading my post after to make sure it says exactly what I want it to say.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #118
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Well you have come to the right place, we can certainly make sure you are doing it right.
I would really like to have a conversation with you concerning your plans for the pickup so I can help you formulate a long term plan for the build, if you would like to send me a private message with your number and a range of time that it is ok to call on most days and I will give you a call, just click on my name on the left to send me a private message.
BTW you will notice that I edit my posts a lot because I have a bad habit of rereading my post after to make sure it says exactly what I want it to say.
Awesome thanks. I'll send you a pm.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #119
Ozzy2013

I usually try PB blaster and try to loosen them first and if the wont then tighten them until they break
Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #120
Ozzy2013

Quote:
Hi Ozzy thank you for offering your assistance. I am sure I am going to need it. Anything I should think of or watch out for as I continue to disassemble the truck?
Just bag all the small bolts nuts and parts and if you clean as you go its easier to evaluate condition and if you need replacement parts .And dont stress have fun with it i loved and still love just seeing how things come apart and why.Taking pictures with a old phone or camera is invaluable for re assembly and these guys love pictures too!Ha ha

Last edited by Ozzy2013; 05-27-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #121
litew8

Quote:
Brian is right. How many years are you planning on? Took me 3, and Brian, you're still working on yours since 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 View Post
Just bag all the small bolts nuts and parts
Zip lock bags and label the bags (front L/R clip, etc...)
Old 05-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #122
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Brian is right. How many years are you planning on? Took me 3, and Brian, you're still working on yours since 2012.

Zip lock bags and label the bags (front L/R clip, etc...)
I hope it's not going to be years. I need a truck to drive. Life without a truck to drive would be meaningless.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #123
litew8

Nobody Ever Drowned In Sweat

What are your plans for the body? Repaint? I didn't see it mentioned.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #124
0311Chevy8152

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Nobody Ever Drowned In Sweat

What are your plans for the body? Repaint? I didn't see it mentioned.
Yes I am definitely going to repaint. I am going to take everything down to bare metal and see what I have. I hope I am not going to be surprised by too much. I have this idea floating around in my head of trying use a military themed paint skeem, tans, browns, and strategic black parts.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #125
Ozzy2013

You might consider just doing the spots that have to be done while apart due to access putting the truck together so you can drive it .Then finish body work while its a roller only reason i say this is so many get in over their heads .Its a very time consuming job if you tear it totally apart and try to do everything at once .Some never get the trucks back together !Not trying to discourage you in anyway just letting you know.Oz