The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Phungki

56 GMC door fitment

Im having issues with getting my drivers side door to fit properly. I got the passenger side fitting good. Good gaps and it sits it the same plain as the cab all the way around. The drivers has good gaps all around but when its tight across the rocker and good with the cab corner, the top section is leaned way in. Any tips/tricks are appreciated. I took a couple pics looking up to hopefully show this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 09-16-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 56 GMC door fitment

is it the original door? lots didn't fit well when new. if it was replaced at some point then it may fit better or worse than original. if it is aftermarket then thats a whole different story. if the truck was in an accident at some point then who knows what was done to fix it. maybe do some corner to corner dimensional checks against the other door opening to see how things look from that standpoint.
if the cab doesn't seem to be tweaked, i would say try to get the main (below window) part of the door to fit reasonably well against the rear edge, since that is the part that can't be moved. forget about the front fender for now. if the upper part, above the lower edge of the glass, doesn't fit well it can be bent in or out after the fact. the hinges have lots of adjustment on the door pillar and the door itself. sometimes it is worth the time to try to fit the door in the opening, without the hinges or the latch, just to see if it is possible. use some wood under the door as a spacer to help fit the door against the opening. if you can get the door to fit that way then install the hinges and door but not the latch and leave the bolts snug but able to allow some muscled movement of the parts, close the door, muscle it to the best fit and then tighten the bolts on the door that are accessible when the door is closed. then open the door and finish the hinge adjustment from there.
stand back and take a few pics, it is kinda hard to picture in the mind how the whole door fits with the pics in the post.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 AM   #3
dsraven

I have several doors from different trucks. some fit my cab pretty well, some don't fit well at all. sure, they close, but they don't fit well.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
slammed57

also remember when you put door seals on they will push the doors out more. make sure you buy the good ones ,soffseal etc... i first went with some off ebay and OH MY they were flat out horrible , I barley could close the doors
Old 09-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
dsraven

Its hard to do because we are always thinking of how the final outcome will look but the door needs to be fit to the cab, not the fender. No latch or weather stripping in place. It's best to fit the door without the fender on because that allows access the that front hinge pocket bolt/nut.
Fit the door to the cab, then fit the latch to get the door sitting at the correct depth in the opening at the latch end, then install the weather strip (after paint, and if it is tight dont mess with the door adjustment, mess with the weatherstrip) then install the fender and adjust the cab and rad support to get the fender and hood to fit proper.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Phungki

They are off of a 56 chevy and my truck is a GMC. So they aren’t aftermarket at least. The passenger fits really well. The drivers seems to be tipped in around the window. So maybe bending it out a little will do the trick. Its not horrible as is, just trying to get it like the passenger is. At least the gaps are decent. Im not to the point of seals or latches yet. I was just trying to get it right so I could burn in my cab corners and step. Just about done with my cab repairs.
Thank you all for the tips
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #7
dsraven

Fit the doors, brace the openings so nothing moves when welding in other stuff.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 PM   #8
NWA58

It looks like your windshield is not in at this time so I’d recommend making sure the cab is square AND the windshield fits. This is where mine went bad. The passenger side door and fender was fitting better than the driver and we found the left front had been hit pretty hard. The door and fender were jammed together and would not open/close freely when I tore it down but I suspected it was superficial. It turned out the cab was twisted and firewall pushed back causing nothing to fit. I ran out of talent and turned to some professional help to correct it. I ended up with more man hours than I wanted but too far in to stop.
NWA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Phungki

Everything was braced before I cut out the bad stuff and burned in the new panels. I can up with the same measurements when I finished so nothing seemed to have moved.
As far as any accidents, there wasn’t any evidence of it when I blasted it. No dents or creases and the frame is perfect so I dont think it was ever in a accident. It even came with those braces that ran from the frame to the firewall.
I just think its issues with the doors being off of a different truck and the fact that fitment wasn’t great out of the gate with these old trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device