The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2022, 08:41 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Let's See Your Wheel/Tire Combo

These trucks can look good with a lot of different types of wheel/tire combos in various sizes. Including stock! Let's show past and present, as well as pictures of what you like and wish you had.

I never did anything with my '92 K3500 SRW other than go to 285/75-16 tires or 255/85s. I always thought about using the traditional steelies with hubcaps and finally did in the later years of the truck's life.

It's kind of funny that I mostly ran 285/75s but did run two sets of 255/85s, and only have the couple pictures showing both of those sets. The second set on 7" Ford rims were Cooper Discoverer STTs. Those were the last set I ran on the truck, around '13-'14. The Kelly AWRs I ran around '05-'08
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Let's See Your Wheel/Tire Combo

I ran 285/75s on 8" Weld Outbacks on the '95 K3500 SRW when I first got it. I had issues with those and ended up with 8" American Racing AR23s.

This picture shows the Outbacks which I ran Swamper SSRs on
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-24-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

I'll play.
The first pic of my 91 is how it was when my Dad & Mom owned it. It had 15x7" directional wheels with stock size tires 235/75/15 a/t .
The truck also had 2" shackles I'm sure Dad didn't know about.
The second pic is with fac tree wheels and stock tires for 2 years.
The third pic is current after I polished up my 20 year old Outlaw 2 15x8" rims with a lower, wider tire, 245/60/15 for a little drop and wider footprint. I'm very pleased with it's stance now.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That has a nice look. I think my least favorite combo is the factory wheels. For one, I never liked those or, any factory alloys for that matter. But also, the truck is accessorized and the aftermarket wheels fit the bill. I also never liked the directional wheels. But now that they are throw-backs to the era the truck is from, they have grown on me. If I bought a truck like yours in the first picture I'd be tempted to leave it be. Your Outlaw IIs also fit that vibe, and I always liked those. They looked good when they came out and never stopped looking good. I'd be tempted to run dual pipes with 3" baloney slices out under the rear bumper on that one!

Tim

Old 03-25-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

I do plan to do something out the back with the pipes and may change the mirrors but that's about it.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The later GM mirrors? I like those better, less bulk

Tim

Old 03-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Don't know yet. I want something a bit smaller and mounted lower. These elephant ears are right in my line of sight and much too large for my liking.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
Just call me Sean

I use 235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers on my trucks and van. The 99 has the factory aluminum like Boogs, I don't like them but it's what came on it. The ones on the 93 came from my wrecked van. I found the fifth one while looking for the missing fourth one for my current van. The spare is on the rear door so it looked better than the fiberglass spare cover. I modified the van carrier to mount it to the front of the truck. The truck came with the ones in the last picture, two on one side two on the other. I didn't realize they were different when I bought the truck, not that it would have mattered, but when I finally noticed it bugged the crap out of me. I like the eight hole and that's what is on my van, but I couldn't find two more and when the rear went out it was cheaper to convert to five lug and use the five rims I had.
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #9
Just call me Sean

I guess they're a little different than Boogs, I like the smooth center cap better. And I haven't had to replace the one rear tire yet.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
The truck came with the ones in the last picture, two on one side two on the other. I didn't realize they were different when I bought the truck, not that it would have mattered, but when I finally noticed it bugged the crap out of me. I like the eight hole and that's what is on my van, but I couldn't find two more and when the rear went out it was cheaper to convert to five lug and use the five rims I had.
8 holes on one side and 10 holes on the other. Most people would never catch that.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:17 AM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My old 96. Squarebody 8" ralleys and 31x10.50 tires
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #12
thenewminator

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...60736041_n.jpg

i'll try to keep this brief. however, considering the struggles i had finding posts relating to what size tires i could run with the wheels i bought for my 93 gmc, i think i would be important to be quite specific about my setup. suspension wise the truck is lowered 4" in front using drop coils and spindles (sorry dont remember what brand or if they push the wheels out) and the rear is lowered about 5.5" using 4" leafs and rear shackles. as for the wheels they are American racing vn504, 17x7 4" backspace 0 offset in front, 17x8 4.5" backspace 0 offset on the rear. tires are nokian wg4 215/65-17 (28" diameter 8.5" wide) on the front and 265/60-17 (roughly 29.5" diameter 10.5" wide) in rear.

apologies for having to post a link. i couldnt get the pics to load to this post.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:10 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I use 235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers on my trucks and van. The 99 has the factory aluminum like Boogs, I don't like them but it's what came on it. The ones on the 93 came from my wrecked van. I found the fifth one while looking for the missing fourth one for my current van. The spare is on the rear door so it looked better than the fiberglass spare cover. I modified the van carrier to mount it to the front of the truck. The truck came with the ones in the last picture, two on one side two on the other. I didn't realize they were different when I bought the truck, not that it would have mattered, but when I finally noticed it bugged the crap out of me. I like the eight hole and that's what is on my van, but I couldn't find two more and when the rear went out it was cheaper to convert to five lug and use the five rims I had.
I never knew there were 8 and 10 hole wheels in that style. Are both GM? I see the outer rim design is different. It's not that I'm hating on those factory wheels so much. In fact, as time passes I grow to like such things better. But my thing, ever since cars and trucks started coming with alloy wheels after a lifetime of them all having steelies/hubcaps, is if I want alloy or custom wheels I pick what I want. Nothing custom about them all coming with them. and because about everything comes with them, they stumble all over themselves with designing something unlike any others. they end up over styled in my eye for simplicity. Now, aftermarket wheels have gotten that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
My old 96. Squarebody 8" ralleys and 31x10.50 tires
Gone retro like I like to do. I like the color matched wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewminator View Post
https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...60736041_n.jpg

i'll try to keep this brief. however, considering the struggles i had finding posts relating to what size tires i could run with the wheels i bought for my 93 gmc, i think i would be important to be quite specific about my setup. suspension wise the truck is lowered 4" in front using drop coils and spindles (sorry dont remember what brand or if they push the wheels out) and the rear is lowered about 5.5" using 4" leafs and rear shackles. as for the wheels they are American racing vn504, 17x7 4" backspace 0 offset in front, 17x8 4.5" backspace 0 offset on the rear. tires are nokian wg4 215/65-17 (28" diameter 8.5" wide) on the front and 265/60-17 (roughly 29.5" diameter 10.5" wide) in rear.

apologies for having to post a link. i couldnt get the pics to load to this post.
I commented the same way in the picture thread, great choice in style and proportion.

Tim

Old 03-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #14
thenewminator

thanks again special-k (i just replied to a comment you posted on another thread ) the fact that the wheel color matches is a basically dumb luck. i bought the wheels a few months before i started the teardown for the new sheet metal and fenders. with that said, i originally chose those wheels for a few reasons; 1. i've always loved the style of that wheel. 2. i decided early on that i wanted a 17" because i could run tires that still had some sidewall, a look that i prefer and that rides better. 3. these arent something you see on a truck very often. 4. i thought they would look sweet with the satin midnight blue with flames that i originally saw in my head. and finally, i happened to catch a really good deal for them because they were discontinued in late 2019. so good in fact i ended up buying another set for my 94' caprice wagon a few months later.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #15
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never knew there were 8 and 10 hole wheels in that style. Are both GM? I see the outer rim design is different. It's not that I'm hating on those factory wheels so much. In fact, as time passes I grow to like such things better. But my thing, ever since cars and trucks started coming with alloy wheels after a lifetime of them all having steelies/hubcaps, is if I want alloy or custom wheels I pick what I want. Nothing custom about them all coming with them. and because about everything comes with them, they stumble all over themselves with designing something unlike any others. they end up over styled in my eye for simplicity. Now, aftermarket wheels have gotten that way.
The 8 holes don't seem to be as common, my brother got the missing one for my van from ebay. I don't think the 10 holes are factory. I do like the 454SS rims and would like to find a set of those.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

Those SS wheels are scarce alright. I've seen prices as high as $1500 for a set. I like em too but I won't spend that for some.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:31 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewminator View Post
thanks again special-k (i just replied to a comment you posted on another thread ) the fact that the wheel color matches is a basically dumb luck. i bought the wheels a few months before i started the teardown for the new sheet metal and fenders. with that said, i originally chose those wheels for a few reasons; 1. i've always loved the style of that wheel. 2. i decided early on that i wanted a 17" because i could run tires that still had some sidewall, a look that i prefer and that rides better. 3. these arent something you see on a truck very often. 4. i thought they would look sweet with the satin midnight blue with flames that i originally saw in my head. and finally, i happened to catch a really good deal for them because they were discontinued in late 2019. so good in fact i ended up buying another set for my 94' caprice wagon a few months later.
I get all those reasons. And I like some meat on my wheels, too. I also like the retro aspect. I like to make give a newer truck some throw-back vibe to enhance it's classic lineage. Do things or use things they used to in earlier years. I guess that's obvious with my steelies and hubcaps.
Quote:
The 8 holes don't seem to be as common, my brother got the missing one for my van from ebay. I don't think the 10 holes are factory. I do like the 454SS rims and would like to find a set of those.
I have seen like two 8-lug trucks with those wheels. The first was back when that wheel first came out. I swear the first one I saw was a brand new truck and the wheels were factory. Maybe it was a conversion truck. If the 8-lug were factory they sure are rare. But maybe they are the same maker as the aftermarkets you have
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Those SS wheels are scarce alright. I've seen prices as high as $1500 for a set. I like em too but I won't spend that for some.
I like those SS wheels, too. But only on the 88-98s. Not enough dish for me to use on anything earlier. Those were a stand alone option you'd see come on a V6/5spd truck. It seemed there were a lot of shortbed Cheyennes done that way, to have a slick looking lower cost truck. I wish I had bought one of those when they were a common used truck to be find at a reasonable price. I found an Emerald Green 95/96-ish one like that for my older son ay a dealership an hour or more down the road. I called on it and told them I was coming down. We hopped in the truck, drove down there to be told another salesman had just sold it. Yes, I was pissed and yes, I made that quite clear!

Tim

Old 04-14-2022, 04:11 PM   #18
OutlawDrifter

PY0 wheels from the GMT800 platform. LT265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015s

2007-2010 GMT900 wheels w/factory GMT400 center caps. LT265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak HT02s

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:14 PM   #19
OutlawDrifter

GMT900 18" Z71 wheels. 265/65R18 Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts

Probably should have kept that pickup.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

All very nice. You have a good eye for refinement. What I call a hybrid look, using GM parts to upgrade. As if GM might have done

Tim

Old 04-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #21
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
All very nice. You have a good eye for refinement. What I call a hybrid look, using GM parts to upgrade. As if GM might have done
I appreciate that. My term for it is "OEM +".

That flows from the exterior to the interior as well.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:20 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

OEM+ is a good term. I went backwards with steelies and hubcaps. Going for a retro GM workhorse vibe, because that's what it is. Things to make it more truck-like. I have cab lights to install and it came with the stainless towing mirrors. I put the earlier cloth buckets and console in because I liked them in my '92 K3500. I had my eye on a clean '94 K2500 Suburban in the same colors that I wanted to do more refined like yours. Beauty and the Beast. It got away from me before I could check on it.

I first had the wheels matching the grille, 7" Accurides with 255/85 Cooper STTs. I wanted to go with argent to look "as if" factory like they were on the K3500, but decided to go with white like the hubcaps came on...except the 88-91 R/V models. I haven't gotten a picture yet
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-15-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #23
OutlawDrifter

Looks great with the tall skinny tires.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Thanks. I really liked how it drove and steered with those. My next set were a mild tread Kelly AT I just replaced. Couldn't find 255/85s at that time. Just replaced that set and sandblasted/painted wheels white. I need to get pictures. I was looking to go back to 255/85s but damn they got pricey. So I went with BFG AT 285/75s again. They seem less bulgie than those Kellys. I believe BFG tread width runs a bit narrower than others. Square edge rather than roll around to sidewall. I'll show a picture for comparison. I had a cut in one of those this winter so stole the Goodyear 285/75s on 8" steelies for a while. Too wide, rubbed bad, so put two from the old set on front. But that gave me a look at what white would look like and I liked that for the look I'm after

Here it is as I bought it from Cobb County, GA govt, Sheriff dept K9 unit (Dec '14). They had been using it for search and rescue when they got some freak snows and people got snow bound. The guy that runs the garage was a 4wd guy and he put those Fierce Attitudes on there, I imagine, because they sheriffs were getting stuck in those hills.
Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 426
Size:  58.8 KB

These are the Kelly 285/75s on the 7" Accurides
Name:  DSCN2600.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  71.9 KB

Dune buggy set
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-16-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:34 AM   #25
Gotenntitans

Thumbs up Re: Let's See Your Wheel/Tire Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
GMT900 18" Z71 wheels. 265/65R18 Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts

Probably should have kept that pickup.
Man, I like that! Clean lookin ride there, my friend.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote