The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #26
wickedred

Re: Flat-Out Engineering front end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
The rack seems to ride on the spindle centerline. Besides being able to find one easier, how is that going to make a difference with the engine placement? From what I am seeing, if you drop it down, you are going to get bumpsteer unless you start using heim joints as outer tie rods to space them down.

It really depends on the purpose of the truck I guess. I don't mind the harshness of hiem joints personally. I am building the truck to autocross and beat the crap out of. I will most likely setup my engine and trans on some type of temporary motor plate to make sure my engine placement suits me.

The rack how it is mounted it typical of the Corvette. it sits inline with the balancer of the engine. That alone will dictate the placement of the engine setback wise. I don't want to modify the firewall if I can keep from it.

Once I have the mock up engine and trans in place, I will get the crossmember fit on the wheel centerline and in the wheel well like I want it. Reworking the steering rack isn't something I am too worried about. There are plenty of options there.

It would have been cheaper to order a front suspension from NoLimit or Scotts Hotrods LOL...

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
wickedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #27
SCOTI

Definitely a yes on the No Limit set-up from a handling perspective. The Scott's front end not so much.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #28
wickedred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Definitely a yes on the No Limit set-up from a handling perspective. The Scott's front end not so much.
I follow trucks with both front ends that have proven to perform. I am just a gluten for punishment and like doing it the hard way LOL

I I hadn't already sunk the money it what I have, I would definitely have a No Limit front end on the truck. As well as their 3 link.

I keep looking at steering racks. Such as https://bit.ly/2YmQoHD
Yes its overkill. You only live once though, and I am bored at work.

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
Old 10-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #29
SCOTI

Most stuff from Sweet is overkill for the average street truck but the increase/influx of trucks @ the track performance level in the last couple of years has definitely upped the ante. If one hopes to be competitive, they better be prepared to bring their 'A' game.

I had not seen/heard of anything utilizing a Scotts front set-up for something track oriented so now I'm informed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #30
wickedred

Quote:
Most stuff from Sweet is overkill for the average street truck but the increase/influx of trucks @ the track performance level in the last couple of years has definitely upped the ante. If one hopes to be competitive, they better be prepared to bring their 'A' game.

I had not seen/heard of anything utilizing a Scotts front set-up for something track oriented so now I'm informed.
There is a guy in CA who has Scott’s front end. Done the Optima Challenge deal. Burnt Orange truck. He is on Scott’s website where the bolt on front end is listed. Saw it on 315 squared Youtube channel.

No doubt Sweet Mfg is overkill. My truck is a toy. I wanted to build a full frame. Decided to see what I could do with the stick rails. Pretty sure that is gonna lead to financial ruin and damnation to hear my wife tell it.

It’s all in fun I guess. Can’t take $$$ with ya when ya go.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #31
wickedred

I will try video the install of my front end and post it on YouTube being there is not anything relevant on there. I will do a thread here in the forum too.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #32
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedred View Post
There is a guy in CA who has Scott’s front end. Done the Optima Challenge deal. Burnt Orange truck. He is on Scott’s website where the bolt on front end is listed. Saw it on 315 squared Youtube channel.

No doubt Sweet Mfg is overkill. My truck is a toy. I wanted to build a full frame. Decided to see what I could do with the stick rails. Pretty sure that is gonna lead to financial ruin and damnation to hear my wife tell it.

It’s all in fun I guess. Can’t take $$$ with ya when ya go.
I checked it out. Nice truck & the images hosted show it's now sporting 335's squared.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #33
wickedred

Quote:
I checked it out. Nice truck & the images hosted show it's now sporting 335's squared.
Yeah, I liked the truck overall. Just me being me thinking I could do it cheaper LOL. Then I saw Dustin Reeds truck, also on the same YouTube channel. He run the Flat Out setup in the front. His engine is setback 10”. I am trying to keep from that if possible.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #34
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah, I liked the truck overall. Just me being me thinking I could do it cheaper LOL. Then I saw Dustin Reeds truck, also on the same YouTube channel. He run the Flat Out setup in the front. His engine is setback 10”. I am trying to keep from that if possible.
10" set-back sounds like a "Well.... If we're going through the trouble of moving the engine...." scenario which is similar to the 'while we're in there, might as well' logic.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #35
wickedred

Quote:
10" set-back sounds like a "Well.... If we're going through the trouble of moving the engine...." scenario which is similar to the 'while we're in there, might as well' logic.
Exactly. If it comes to that I will order one piece bent frame rails and build my own chassis. It’s nothing new. Just wanted to be lazy. I looked at the G-Comp front suspension from Speedway today during my hours of boredom at work. $2k for the universal front clip.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #36
SCOTI

Quote:
Exactly. If it comes to that I will order one piece bent frame rails and build my own chassis. It’s nothing new. Just wanted to be lazy. I looked at the G-Comp front suspension from Speedway today during my hours of boredom at work. $2k for the universal front clip.
Yep. I've checked them out recently as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #37
Joyridin

Quote:
I thought he did it simply to lower the center of gravity and shift the weight bias more toward the rear. He made is sound like he had to do it, but moving the front suspension back didn't really do anything either.

Whatever people want I guess. My truck is just a cruiser. I didn't expect to have to re-engineer the whole chassis to make the front end work. The Gen 5 engine was going to be hard enough to make work.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:07 AM   #38
wickedred

Quote:
I thought he did it simply to lower the center of gravity and shift the weight bias more toward the rear. He made is sound like he had to do it, but moving the front suspension back didn't really do anything either.

Whatever people want I guess. My truck is just a cruiser. I didn't expect to have to re-engineer the whole chassis to make the front end work. The Gen 5 engine was going to be hard enough to make work.
Pretty sure he had a SBC in there before, not 100% sure. He stated in the video that when he switched the LS engine he had to set the engine back. Once again I am not 100% sure. When I talked to Don on FB messenger and on the phone he said it wasn't required.

My biggest kick with my truck is not wanting the engine sitting up high in the engine bay. That alone make pinion angles an nightmare.

At the end of the day I will do what is needed to make it work. I will document it all with pics and video. Hopefully once I get started on it I will find it is a suitable combination.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #39
Joyridin

When I asked Don about engine mounts for a 350 and oil pan clearance issues, he said "most guys use LS engines". From the conversation, that meant that LS engines would not have any clearance issues, but the 350 might.

I have neither of those, so it really didn't matter.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #40
wickedred

Quote:
When I asked Don about engine mounts for a 350 and oil pan clearance issues, he said "most guys use LS engines". From the conversation, that meant that LS engines would not have any clearance issues, but the 350 might.

I have neither of those, so it really didn't matter.
I hope this is correct.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #41
wickedred

Well if someone is interested in my front suspension PM me. I think I am changing directions.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #42
wickedred

I got a few install pics from Dustin. His truck without a doubt handles like its on rails. that is a 10" engine set back. I am sorry to say the Flat Out Engineering is on crack if they think an LS engine is gonna drop in without the engine setback an some janky drive line angle.

I still think I could make it work by reworking the whole steering setup. At this point my truck will just be a cruiser until I regroup and decide what I am going to do.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #43
SCOTI

Wow.... You know it's serious engine set-back when the OE position of the alternator crowds the brake booster/master cylinder...

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #44
Joyridin

If you look at where the front pulley is sitting, it isn't sitting 6" away from the rack and pinion. It looks to be about 2" away, which is about the distance needed to slide the engine in place. So moving it back 10" is too far off even though he moved the whole crossmember back about an inch or 2.

This would have been a really neat concept if it actually worked, but I couldn't find any way to make it work without chopping 25% of the frame width away or moving the engine back. The one front end kit I looked at had what looked to be 1.5" spacers in place of the out tie rods to correct the bump steer, but on this kit, you probably needed something close to 3".

I had the No-Limit set-up in in less than a day if I add all my time up. That was a relief after messing with the Flat Out Engineering catastrophe.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #45
wickedred

Knocked the rack mounts off the Crossmember. Have ordered another rack and pinion I think I can get to work.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2022, 05:21 PM   #46
wickedred

I am a gluten for punishment I guess. Was so close to just spending $1804 on a Aldan Performance coil over front end. Then I decided to beat my head against a wall with the Flat Out crap.

So I ordered a T-Bird PS rack. Mounting points will work. It keeps the rack center line with the steering knuckles. Gotta order tie rod ends and see how that is gonna play out.

Until more parts arrive this saga continues….
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #47
SCOTI

What spindle/uprights are those?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-16-2022, 06:01 PM   #48
wickedred

Quote:
What spindle/uprights are those?
1986 C4 Vette
Ordered upper ball joints and tie rods. Waiting to order Coil Over's before seeing if I can get the steering sorted.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #49
SCOTI

Quote:
1986 C4 Vette
Ordered upper ball joints and tie rods. Waiting to order Coil Over's before seeing if I can get the steering sorted.
Looked pretty tall so that was my guess.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-17-2022, 05:35 AM   #50
wickedred

Yeah. Just hoping I can make this work.