The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Gene

When is the best time to buy a Harley

I'm in no hurry but would like to know if winter is the best time to buy a new Harley? I was thinking November, or maybe even around Christmas. I've been wanting a street glide for years and now I'm financially ready to pay cash for one. Still debating between a reg. Street glide or a street glide special.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
trixter99
I have no time for this

Re: When is the best time to buy a Harley

I bought a street glide special in may of this year and I love it. I bought the special because of the better stereo and the 19" front wheel and it was only 1000$ more for the special. I wanted to buy a road glide but they didn't build one in 2014 and so far I've been super happy to have the street glide. Now is the time to buy if you don't mind buying a 14 model there have been no changes to the 15 models unless you want a CVO but they are a lot more loot. I didn't have all the cash to pay for it outright so I financed it then I payed it out last week when I had all the money put together.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Gumby

watch the paper for adds, always a guy who rather sell cheap to you then let the recent ex wife get it..........
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter99 View Post
I bought a street glide special in may of this year and I love it. I bought the special because of the better stereo and the 19" front wheel and it was only 1000$ more for the special. I wanted to buy a road glide but they didn't build one in 2014 and so far I've been super happy to have the street glide. Now is the time to buy if you don't mind buying a 14 model there have been no changes to the 15 models unless you want a CVO but they are a lot more loot. I didn't have all the cash to pay for it outright so I financed it then I payed it out last week when I had all the money put together.
So you got the special for just a 1000 more? That's good to know, they retail for 2000 more. Our local dealers have been running tag tax and title specials here off and on. I really like the Special in vivid black. So there's no difference between the 14 and 15??

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
mikie 1954

I do not know about Oklahoma but in California your tags are due in the month that it is bought in , so that is something to keep in mind here.
mikie 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
dieseldawg142

i've always found january-ish a good time to buy. christmas hype is over, all the bills are kickin' in, nobody is buying anything & dealers are anxious to unload last yrs models.
not a harley, but we bought the wife's 04 envoy in jan 05 & saved 11 grand (6 from chevy, 5 from the dealer)
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
cdowns

here the two times a year that the harley dealer has loads of stock to move at cheap prices is biktoberfest in october and bikeweeks in march for out of towners they have packages including airfare and shipping home for you too

check destination daytona harley dealer biggest in the world
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
davischevy

When your wife is not around.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

whenever you want one is the best time to get one don't delay its almost as much fun as our trucks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

If you want new, now is the time. I haven't been in the market for new since they started keeping up with demand. But, new models used to start rolling in in April. So, there are what '14s are left they are anxious to sell or you can plunk down and wait for the '15 of your choice. I'm probably outdated with my info and the '15s have been out. I haven't paid much attention to new stuff for quite some time. Still,winter will always be the time

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Shorty Cox

"The best time to buy a Harley?" NEVER!!!!!

Count the wheels, the thing will not stand up by itself.

I recall bicycle wrecks at five miles per hour, I don't wish one at fifty-five miles per hour.

Just the thoughts of an ole-man

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Definitely something I think about every time I ride. You have to be the best driver on the road wherever you go. Expect the worst from others. Take nothing for granted. I had an old feller who rode his whole life w/o an accident once tell me if you wreck a bike it's your fault and I have ridden with that philosophy since '73.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Was ready to buy one just after my last tour in Afghanistan. I was going to order a V-Rod with all the polished aluminum trimmings.
My brother in law, who was a long time Maryland Motorcycle trainer/certifier for new riders at the Frederick DMV was killed the day after I came home from my last tour.
He had years of experience with race bikes and then converted over to Harleys. He was killed riding a Harley in a rural area in NW Baltimore County.

I never did order that bike and promised my wife I would never own one out of respect for her brother.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I've known a lot of people killed in cars and trucks. I understand a person not wanting to ride due to the risk, but Gene isn't one. He wants to ride. Motorcycles have been on the road from the beginning of motor travel. It's high time people got used to looking for them. They are easier to see than a pedestrian or bicycle rider

Tim

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Definitely something I think about every time I ride. You have to be the best driver on the road wherever you go. Expect the worst from others. Take nothing for granted. I had an old feller who rode his whole life w/o an accident once tell me if you wreck a bike it's your fault and I have ridden with that philosophy since '73.
Agreed. I got my first motorcycle in 1965 and owned one continuosly for 40 years. The only time i went down was after hitting a dog. I always assumed the people in cars weren't going to see me. The last ride my wife and I took was to the rockies and back. Then we had a couple people get killed on bikes near our house. The wife quit riding. I rode for a while but it wasn't the same without her. To each his own. If you want a bike, get one. Just be extremely careful and don't dare cars.

We were out 10 days on that last ride, and when I got back to here, I could have kept going. If you enjoy riding there is nothing like it.

None of that answered or even addressed the question, did it?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #16
HeavyD

US dollar is way higher than ours now..wonder if the savings would more than offset the trip? What does one retail at?
Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I'm in no hurry but would like to know if winter is the best time to buy a new Harley? I was thinking November, or maybe even around Christmas. I've been wanting a street glide for years and now I'm financially ready to pay cash for one. Still debating between a reg. Street glide or a street glide special.

Gene ,,If you are thinking of a long distant ride then check this one out on the net,,,I am no one to ask when to buy a Motorcycle ,,but I can guide you to where there is a lot of "it's the best " place to ride one ,,and that's on highway 12 from Lolo Mt to Lewiston Id .. lots of curves and then more curves and a river beside you most of the way with nice big trees ,,just a beautiful drive that many motorcyclists,,comment on how they have done it more than once..
Old 02-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
Gene

Well, it turns out around here the best time to buy is on a cold day in December when nobody's ringing the bell. I think I got a real good deal on a 2015 Street Glide Special. I love the bike, I already have over 1000 miles on it. I don't worry too much about the what ifs, I have ridden a lot over the years and I know the risks.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

DOH!! I've been struck by a post brought back from the past. Note to self, check back in the thread for time gap before typing a bunch of irrelevant chatter. Larry??

Glad to hear it Gene. Best answer, the off season/slow time. Enjoy the ride!

Tim